Children relocating

We are finally considering moving to Ecuador. My husband is from Ecuador and visit every other year, we have property in Cuenca as well as many family members. I have taught ESL classes in New York and would like to continue teaching; though my professional background is in medical administration. My worries are about my children. They are 9 and 16. The oldest is heading off to college next year and thought that would be good time to relocate with the younger one.  He is completely against it as is the older one, who feels we are abdanding her?  Any thoughts or suggestions?

Welcome on Expat.com jhol0306 ;)

It's your kids job to fight against any changes in their lives. It's yours to make decisions that are best for the entire family.

One thing that can help is to find other English speaking families with kids in Cuenca; and to leave for your new home a month or two before the school year starts, so that they can get settled in and have a least a couple of friends before they walk into the new school.

Change is ALWAYS a challenge, and for kids, especially teenagers, it's biggest. But challenges are not necessarily bad. We'd never grow without them, would we?

Was wondering how it has worked out for you and the kids. We are considering moving and it sounds like we have some things in common with the kids. We will have to leave one here for college and bring the other right before she begins high school.

Stephanie,

I am moving to Ecuador with my son. At 5 years old, he is younger than your children though. I have been in contact with a family from SoCal with 2 sons ages 12 and 17. They have lived in Ecuador for 2 years and after some initial apprehension both boys are settled and doing well. My nephew will be visiting with me for part of the school year as well. He will be 13 when he comes for a 3 month stay. Keep in touch and I'll let you know how it goes. Best of luck!

Hello,
I moved to Cuenca with my sons, 9 and 8, like a year ago and it was kind of difficult for the younger one because he didn't want to speak Spanish but is much better know.
The fact my wife and I are bilingual helps a lot and my kids even sometimes miss the US they have fun here too.
Is important that your kids find out they're many fun things to do here.
About the schools, there's many private schools her and more afordable than is the States and the subjects and the homework are more demanding than in the States.

Vinny

@vinny66

do you still live in Ecuador? We are considering a move there with an 11 and 9 year old for a year or two. Where would be the best place to live with kids? Both girls are interested in futbol and swimming (preferably in the ocean…?). They attend a Montessori in the states so was hoping to find one in Ecuador as well, though that's not required. Mostly concerned about safety and welcoming attitude of expats

Vinnie has not posted since October, 2019.