Do I need a TEFL/TESOL to teach English?

Hey everyone. I am a retired U.S. Army officer and am looking into moving to Hanoi here in the coming 2-3 months. I recently just completed my MBA and also have a BA in Communications and Public Relations. Is it a requirement to have a TEFL to teach English in Hanoi? I'm sure it probably is, but I didn't know what some of you subject matter experts had to say on this subject.

Appreciate the responses in advance and thank you!

Jonathan

Short answer is Yes.  There may be an exception for people with a BEd or a BA in TESOL but not for your degree.  I have a BEd and my lawyer initially said that we would not need my TEFL certificate.  Then she had second thoughts about getting that past the authorities even if it was legally sufficient and included the TEFL certificate in the packet.

Thank you!

I would further suggest that you take the CELTA course with one of the licensed schools in Hanoi.  First it is the only course that I know of with a substantial hands on practicum component.  It will also give you a chance to get the lay of the land and begin job searching while still taking the course.  Additionally, it will be about half the cost of the same course in the US.  I did not take the CELTA course but in hindsight, I wish that I had.

Thank you. I will definitely look into the CELTA course once I'm on ground in Hanoi. Additionally, also appreciate the candid feedback regarding the TEFL certificate. Have a good one! - Jonathan

Agree with above comments. Whoever you choose to do the Celta with they should be able to line you up with some of the better employers. No classroom experience will be your biggest hurdle.