Keeping in touch while living in France

Hello everyone,

What are the best ways you've found for keeping in touch with friends and family back home while living in France? How frequently do you stay in touch with loved ones?

Are there local equivalents to common instant messaging and online video calling services that you prefer or are more widely used?

If there is a sizeable time difference, how do you manage this?

Do you make international phone calls from a landline or mobile phone from France? What do you think of the cost?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I use a mixture of What's App, Skype, and Magic Jack to talk to family, usually once a week.  All are free per call; Magic Jack has an annual fee. I use my blog to keep them up on what's happening and to share photos. I mainly use Facebook to keep up with friends, along with sporadic phone calls.
They are all in the Americas, so usually we talk in our early evening, and their morning (clinking wine and coffee!)

I was able to call my family in the U.S. for free with my phone plan (Free Mobile) but there was just a small window of the day when I could call because of the nine-hour time difference. I also used Whatsapp and Facebook Messenger to keep up with friends. Now we mainly use FaceTime and Skype to keep up with family in France. I recently wrote this post about an easy way to send cards to friend and family in the U.S.

I only use Facebook messenger as my family is very anti-tech. It was tough just getting them to use messenger and some refuse to even be in Facebook so there's that. Since the islands were hit by two Hurricane in September I haven't heard from my family and it has been very hard for me. They have no phone lines and no electricity so I write my mother a letter but mail is backed up and I don't know when she will receive it.

I use facebook messenger and WhatsApp to connect with my family. I also use iMessage on my iPhone with my friends that have an iPhone, there are no fees for texting or facetime.

Hello,

Hello,

I use several online applications (fb messenger / whatsapp /google talk) to reach my family and friends. Since my mom doesnt use her phone often especially the internet, I use the application Dial Abroad. I connected this apps to my paypal account and reload it everytime i feel the need to call my mom. 5€ corresponds to 32mins of call and comparing it to an ordinary international call using our fixed line at homehome, i shall say that its service is better 😀

As of now I used messenger and whatsapp to communicate with my loved ones. since I still live in Philippines I used line for my family and whatsapp for my fiance because he is in France.