Moving to Czech Republic for three months

I'm a 22 year old German business student. I'm studying part-time, always spending three months in my enterprise and three at university. My studies are three-national (France/Germany/Swiss)and I spent my last semester in Finland, so I'm used to living abroad. In summer I will probably go to Jirny, Czech Republic to work there for my company. As I don't know anything about this country yet, I registered to try to get in contact with some people living there or having lived there.

I'm happy about any kind of adice. I also have a few questions: how to find an apartment there? How are public transportation systems? Are people there english-speaking? How to find sports clubs?

Hi and welcome on Expat.com Kewitsch :)

I hope you will get some useful advices from other members on the forum soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Hi Kewitsch

I dont know Jirny but here are some informations for Prague :

- A lot of flats and flat sharing are available on the website "expat.cz"

- Even if a big part of the people in town center speak english, I had some bad experience with absolutely non-english speaking people (even in a very big shopping center!). Knowing a few words and sentences of Czech can be a great help.

- Public transports in Prague are great, right at time and pretty cheap.

- You can find sport clubs in almost every small town or district, but the main sports are football and ice hockey. You can also do all mountain-related sports including rafting and canoing in the North of the Bohemia.

Good luck for your trip!

Hey Carlito,

thanks a lot for the advices!
Jirny is supposed to be 20 - 30km from Prague.
With sports I'm kinda flexible as long as
newcomers are welcome :D

try expats.cz for places to stay and also myczechrepublic.com to find out more about CR.

Its a great place to live even for a short time and Im sure you will find everyone as friendly as I have, Plus great beer :)

Thanks Jaybob. At the moment I got the option of living in a shared flat...but I would have to travel 50 minutes to work...are public transports reliable enough to use them to get to work?

Depends where you live of course but in general the trams, metro and buses are all good , cheap and regular services.