Renting and landlords

Toon wrote:
Laz2016 wrote:
Toon wrote:

yes it would be and it is of course your choice to do things this way  - but to take an unnecessary risk is a tad dangerous. So in the event that the LL decides to sell his property or wants it back for himself or family. or decides he can get more off another tenant and makes your life hell to get you out -  or even force majeure ....and you ve paid up front  - what recourse do you have  - have you managed to cover this in your contract

Yes the protection swings both ways in the contract. Maybe I'm lucky but I have a very good relationship with the LL. Not only does he own several apartments, some of which are my neighbours, but also a large and successful B&B.

How do you pay in Cyprus, monthly?

am pleased to hear you have a good relationship with your LL it makes all the difference -  as for protection yes  so it should be both ways  but id still say check double check and get another person to check then check again = too many people get caught with what seems innocent contracts until the brown stuff hits the whirly gig with issues / problems / disputes

yes in our case we pay in cash monthly with pukka vat receipts for everything (utils water rubbish taxes bills are paid on presentation simple as that. All of the bills are paid from the agent/owners account via direct debit so no fear of being disconnected )  Our landlords agent (the owner is chinese and doesnt live here) has been absolutely fabulous cant do enough for us. and we ven met the LL and his family and interpreter too lol 

all good for us

I'm glad for you too. I hope you didn't suffer because of the Cypriot banking crisis in 2012/13.

Just out of curiosity (I don't have that much cash, unfortunately), wouldn't it be easier (and not illegal) to just split the amount, as in fly to Malta with, say 8000 € first, catch another flight back to the UK or wherever the next day, and return with another 5000 €? Might be a little more flying, but def better than losing 13000 €... And Ryanair flights are not that expensive...

Why not just use TransferWise as they usually have a better exchange rate then the banks.

You can travel with in excess of 10k as long as you declare it (and can prove it's yours)

paulolly wrote:

You can travel with in excess of 10k as long as you declare it (and can prove it's yours)

Indeed I have no idea why so many people get caught. Presumably they do not want to declare they are remitting money here to the authorities for tax reasons

Dumb.

There are many cases each year in Spain of people stopped in their cars - not necessarily at border locations - and found with more than 10,000 euros on them. It doesn't matter if you can prove it is yours, they will relieve you of the total amount and give you back 1,000 euros for subsistence. No recourse on the balance. So if you have, say, 18,000 euros you will end up with just 1k + a receipt.

Once I withdrew 10,000 from my euro bank and they warned me to spend some of it immediately in the inevitability that I had a few notes on me which would take it over the limit. I checked and I had 15 euros in notes. Nipped into the nearest gas station and paid in cash (for a change). Still felt guilty when I passed a police car though :D:gloria