MINSA Holding Back VA Medications

Looking for advice and if this situation has happened to anyone else. My wife and I have our VA medications set to Bocas through MBE without ever a problem. My wife ordered some lotion from Body Works, since there is no Body Works close to us in Bocas and they only time she can get it is when we are in Panama City or through mail order, never been a problem until now.

MINSA pulled here lotion and requested a lot of information on the lotion (exact same lotion that anyone can buy in Panama City), ingredients, what will it be used for ect. ect.. So instead of going through the hassle she decided to just drop it and not bother with them. At that point I was sure that our name got flagged.

A week later my VA meds got pulled and the same request were made. This is a lot different since these are meds that I HAVE TO TAKE daily. It is clear that they are from the VAMC and I know I am not the only veteran here that is taking meds from the VAMC so this should not nothing new to MINSA.

This is what I have done, called the US Embassy, they gave me the number to the VA in Panama CIty and said they are only open on Tuesdays and Thursday mornings, I'll wait in the AM to call and see what happens. Sent an Email to the Panama VFW asking for help.   

What I would like to know, has this happened to anyone here? If so what did you do to correct the issue? Does anyone have advice on what Veterans should do to protect themselves? I will keep this updated as it goes to the end, hoping this will help other Veterans in the future.

Best to all,
Wolf

I've heard that MINSA is being much more... umm...   difficult. Word is that bringing in cosmetics, lotions, etc is no longer allowed. A friend ordered some stuff, they inspected the box, didn't  close something and it was a mess with lotions leaked all over everything. The only possible explaination I've heard is they are afraid people are bringing in things to resell which hurts local businesses. You would think one bottle of lotion is obviously for personal use, but TIP where things don't always make sense.

I haven't heard anything about the issues with medications. If you are on Facebook look for a group - Expats in Panama. I think people there can help you. Good luck and let us know how it goes

Use someone other than MBE to bring in your meds. I stopped using MBE and have no problem. PM me at *** for more info.

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

I sent you a PM on this forum Your private information was blocked I would love to drop MBE and go with something that is reliable and cheaper.

My update as of today. I called the VA and they want me to come to Panama City,bring a copy of my VA rating, my prescriptions,  get an appointment with a local doctor, find a pharmacy in PC that has my medications and have them then shipped to Bocas.  REALLY?

I am not done!

As a Panamenian, me thinketh that the government is trying to force foreigners to buy medications locally and also to use services provided by local doctors. Not easy. I wish you luck.  This is just one more hurdle one has to overcome in order to live in a supposedly cheaper country.

celmira9 wrote:

As a Panamenian, me thinketh that the government is trying to force foreigners to buy medications locally and also to use services provided by local doctors. Not easy. I wish you luck.  This is just one more hurdle one has to overcome in order to live in a supposedly cheaper country.

My wife is Panamanian as well and I have her doing a too much of the front work for me. I was thinking the same as you but we have heard over and over that the new administration is enforcing the laws and not turning a blind eye to things anymore...........OK sure. We were told that there was some medications being sent here to be resold on the market...........OK I understand how that can happen, even prescriptions from American Doctors. I know that there are Americans that know how to work the system and get a lot of heavy narcotics and resale them, I would not be surprised if the same happens in Canada, Europe, or the UK. BUT, one would think some common sense would be applied and certain medications would be off the list and/or from certain sources, like the Veterans Hospital.

However, I am not a criminal so I do not have a criminal mind. But if I was, I think I would be bringing in my goods in larger quantities and from a different type of source labeling, But what do I know?

Kindly
Wolf

We dropped MBE last year ....a total disaster operation in my opinion. Any way we've been using Chitreana Express. You set a number that you have in your shipping address and you package goes there. 8302 NW 68th ST,  acct nbr here. Miami, Fl. 33166 You get it in 3-7 days.

Jim Forrester
Pocri