What is time-frame for evicting someone from your house in Panama?

Hi, if anyone has experience and can speak to our situation, I would be grateful.

we have a house in the interior of Panama and my wife's cousin lived with my wiofe's father for a few years until he passed. After grandpa passed away in 2021, the cousin claimed the house was his. We tried to work things out with him cordially, but after 2 years, we hired a lawyer a year ago. I am not getting hard dates/times. It seems to be just around the corner for several months. The Justice of the peace has told him he needs to get out before they bring police and force him out, and the justice said this: "we have been more patient with you than is normal."

It seems to me that Panama must surely have laws that do not permit arbitrary sentiment of a justice to do what he feels? If this were the case, I would not think a large expat community would exist there.

I tried finding this date time frame online, to bring to our lawyers attention. I saw something about 4 months 1 month to process, 2 months for trial, and 1 month for eviction, but I do not know the veracity of that, and thought someone here would have some wisdom to offer.

I feel in the dark. I plan to call our lawyer and ask for him to remove the blur and give me some solid understanding, but I wanted a little knowledge first.

Thank you.

@mikeysp as I said many times, dont go to Panama, is unsafe country, justice not reliable and very corrupt police

@mikeysp you paint the situation very unclear. Do you own the house and can you prove it, then you can evict him. Does he have a rental contract? And if yes, is it registered. In the standard rental agreements(wich can be altered) the tenant usually has 7days to be late with a payment. After that, he can be evicted. The eviction is done by local police. You go there with your documents, proof, and make a statement. They will evict him. However. Panamanian law is weird. If there never was a rental contract, he can claim ownership by occupation. Basicly, if he lives there long enough without contract, he has the right to stay. I do not know how long one has to occupy the property for that to apply. For that, you need to inform ureself @ more then one lawyer. Cuz they do not always state the same things. Also if the house was(or is) in his families possession, your chances of evicting him drop significantly.