Considering Johor for Consulting in Singapore

Hello everyone! I am from UK currently living in Thailand. I am considering living in Johor with a view to providing consultancy services in Singapore so I would appreciate guidance on the costs and practicalities. My background is diverse including business brokering, financial management, sales, publishing, person-centred education, providing personal development workshops etc - so I can put my hand to many things. I look forward to hearing from you!

You will need a visa to live in Johor (Malaysia). Your options would be incorporating a company (probably an offshore Labuan would be best) and applying for a Director's visa. The other option would be applying for the MM2H 10 year social visit pass (which enables you to have earnings from outside Malaysia but no employment in Malaysia).

That is the view from the Malaysian side. Perhaps asking the same question on the Singapore forum would provide info about having earnings from within Singapore. I think company incorporation would also be required there.

The other thing to get clarified in the Singapore forum would be the Malaysia Automated Clearance System (MACS) - http://www.imi.gov.my/index.php/en/main … tml?id=267

Excellent and helpful advice. Thanks very much, Gravitas.

Hi Gravitas,
I need your advice about the nearest neighborhood to port Tanjung Pelepas as I will be working there and I need to find a flat or studio near there that I can just walk to work and not to have to take a public transportation it would be great if you can mention a residences name if possible so I can look up them.

Thank you Gravitas for you help!

Your workplace is rather remote and no nearby vacant housing stock is being advertised (although your employer may be able help or keep private lists of rooms etc.). This is probably because everyone has the same idea as you. There will probably be places but they would be a 10-15 minute drive away.