More info about getting passport

Hello everybody, I'm married to a Romanian citizen and was wondering if I get my residency in Romania but working in another country with visiting Romania 2 or 3 times a year, will I be entitled for the passport after 5 years or shall I find a job there  for the entire period ?

Hello,

First, you should be aware that if you are out of the country more than 6 months consecutively, and/or more than 10 months total in the 5 year period, you will lose your residency in Romania in most cases.

In the event that does not happen, no will you not be entitled to a passport after 5 years.  You may become eligible for citizenship after 5 years, but you must meet those requirements, which include speaking Romanian fluently.  Once you become a Romanian citizen, you may obtain a Romanian passport.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Thank you Romaniac for your reply but it still not really clear. I'm learning romanian so far with the help of my wife and will be looking for a job there in Bucharest but my problem is if that I will not be able to find a job easily so I can try other countries but of course i will not stay out of the country for 6 months in a row or 10 months in 5 years. My daughter has already romanian passport, will that facilitate my application?

No, it won't do anything at all.  Citizenship cannot be obtained on the basis of a Romanian spouse or child.  You must earn it on your own merits.

So I have to stay 5 years in the country plus learning the language and working there.. fair enough. We are relocating from Dubai to Bucharest so once I'm there I'll apply for my residence and look for a decent job. Thank you Romaniac for your assistance 😉