What to expect when moving to Mexico

Hello everyone,

Is there anything you wish you had known before moving to Mexico? For example, transportation, internet speeds, types of housing, aspects of the culture or social life.

In your opinion, what's the most important thing to know about Mexico?

When would you recommend someone should begin planning their move to Mexico?

What were the most helpful ways you found to get organised? For example, did you use a checklist, were there any particularly useful websites or apps?

What advice would you give to future expats preparing to move to Mexico?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

If I were to make a list about what to know about Mexico, at the top would be what i would say about any country that is new to you.

1, Leave the rumors, distorted articles and preconceived expectations behind.    What you experienced at a resort on a holiday is not Mexico. What you heard in your country is not Mexico.  Be open to finding Mexico over time and be ready for change. Be alert and flexible.

2. Do not plan , to pack up your current house and move like you were just going to another house in another state. Do not assume Mexico is a totally primitive country. Explore several times in several non-tourist  areas.  Figure on taking a  year or two to visit, research and plan. And learn as much Spanish as you can during that time. The U.S. expects people in the U.S. to speak English, and often they are very aggressive about that, as you know. Mexico is pretty polite, and unlike the U.S. many are bi-lingual. It is more than reasonable for Mexico to feel you will try to communicate with them in their language. More importantly you handicap yourself severely if you do not understand.

3. See if your things would work in your new world, would you really need most of what you have.  It is really not necessary to bring your whole household. Its expensive, and Mexico has most if not all of those things. Things like T.V's and stereos are a particularly bad idea. They are fragile and Mexico has lots of them. Mexico also has lots of beds and furniture. RENT! you want flexibility. Many places have furnished rentals. If you rarely use an item, why pack it up and pay to move it to Mexico, then pay again to move if you don't like your first choice home.

4. In Mexico you will have to adapt and change daily. Life here is not the same boring routine day after day. Things change, and things happen every day. That thing you bought at the store that you really liked may not be there next time. You may see it again or you may not. Time is different, the workman may be on time or may not. as we say here often...Yes that is Mexico, or well it's mexico.

5. Besides Expat , https://www.mexperience.com/ can be very insightful .

And oh yes at some point you will have to know Spanish. Right after they ask "de donde eres" ( where are you from) they will ask 'Hablas Espaniol " do you speak Spanish.

What happens during that time frame effects that relationship totally.. If you say yes you will engage in pleasant conversations and perhaps find out things you would not find out otherwise. If you say no , they will probably still be pleasant, but they will confine themselves to the words they know in English.
I'ts like having a partial translation I have found. Recently in Cancun I had 2 very informative chats that lasted about 15- 20 minutes, and next time I came by they greeted me like a friend and remembered my name. They visibly relax.

The biggest shock for me was the requirement for a fiador- a home owner residing in Mexico City willing to sign as a guarantor on the lease- being required for apartment rentals. If I did not have the resources available to pay 13 months in advance for the apartment, I would have headed back to the US. Accepting the loss of my hard earned outstanding credit score was not expected or appreciated.

I wish I had learned basic Spanish before I moved here. I also wish I had applied for either the temporary or permanent visa before leaving the US as they are required for establishing a banking relationship and I hate having to use cash for my monthly maintenance bills and foreign credit cards are not accepted by the utilities or internet providers.

I spent 2 weeks in each of the cities I was considering and I would strongly recommend even visiting longer before the move.

I have not regretted the move...I would do it again in a heartbeat:)

Bestmompajoshre wrote:

The biggest shock for me was the requirement for a fiador- a home owner residing in Mexico City willing to sign as a guarantor on the lease- being required for apartment rentals. If I did not have the resources available to pay 13 months in advance for the apartment, I would have headed back to the US. Accepting the loss of my hard earned outstanding credit score was not expected or appreciated.

I wish I had learned basic Spanish before I moved here. I also wish I had applied for either the temporary or permanent visa before leaving the US as they are required for establishing a banking relationship and I hate having to use cash for my monthly maintenance bills and foreign credit cards are not accepted by the utilities or internet providers.

I spent 2 weeks in each of the cities I was considering and I would strongly recommend even visiting longer before the move.

I have not regretted the move...I would do it again in a heartbeat:)

That was a bit confusing. I suspect the  fiador was because you have no Mexican credit history, and at the time had no money in reserve in a Mexican bank. That is an important thing to bring up. a credit history in the U.S. does not translate in to a credit history in Mexico.  Mexico city is particularly tough because it is a big city with many transient visitors .

As I recall I had a Mexican bank account before I became permanent.  Temporary  or permanent visa holders have a pretty straight forward  way of opening an account. They just want proof, everything is about proof that you are who you say you are , that you can afford to live in Mexico and that you have an address here.

Glad you stuck it out and that you brought up that point.

Firstly I would definitely recommend learning Spanish,,Even the basics will get you through. I came here not knowing how to speak hardly anything,and even though my partner is Mexican so speaks Spanish and English it can get very frustrating not even being able to ask the time or order your own food etc.
Also be very patient. In Mexico everything feels like it goes at a slower pace. From arranging immigration to finding work. It's all done with a more relaxed attitude so don't be surprised to wait for things to get done.
Don't listen to all the scare stories out there, yes there is crime and certain areas can be dangerous at night but as long as you keep you wits about you, you will be fine.
Be prepared to integrate into the way of life. You are in a different country and should be respectful of it's traditions and "how they do things".
But mostly I would say just go for it. You only live once and if nothing else it is an experience you will keep for the rest of your life.

I made a 12-week visit to Lake Chapala because I have a girlfriend who retired to that area. It's very beautiful and relaxing but the retiree population is just not for me. I am too young for the retiree's and too old for the working expats.  My Spanish is rudimentary, but I can get my point across and it's fun to do the back and forth as I wibble through a conversation.  I enjoyed hopping on a bus and wandering off to visit some interesting festival or museum in other cities but it got boring to have to do it alone most of the time.  I tried getting other retiree's interested, but they were more interested in (Parcheesi?) ugh!  The younger expats weren't able to be as flexible and impulsive.   Oh well,  I ended up wandering onward!

My suggestion: If you are a younger retiree, avoid the regular retiree-expat areas like the plague! 

Wishes:  I wish there was a forum for early retirees like myself.  Some of us retired early so that we could get out there and enjoy it before the joints froze up (lol)

Kimimela wrote:

I made a 12-week visit to Lake Chapala because I have a girlfriend who retired to that area. It's very beautiful and relaxing but the retiree population is just not for me. I am too young for the retiree's and too old for the working expats.  My Spanish is rudimentary, but I can get my point across and it's fun to do the back and forth as I wibble through a conversation.  I enjoyed hopping on a bus and wandering off to visit some interesting festival or museum in other cities but it got boring to have to do it alone most of the time.  I tried getting other retiree's interested, but they were more interested in (Parcheesi?) ugh!  The younger expats weren't able to be as flexible and impulsive.   Oh well,  I ended up wandering onward!

My suggestion: If you are a younger retiree, avoid the regular retiree-expat areas like the plague! 

Wishes:  I wish there was a forum for early retirees like myself.  Some of us retired early so that we could get out there and enjoy it before the joints froze up (lol)

you are right about avoiding the expat dense areas for the reason you mentioned as well as several others. I do wonder why you feel that there are no early retirees on this forum . There are quite a number under 70.  Don't accept the programmed concepts of age " joints froze up". Things stop working because you don't maintain them. Just visit other areas and you will see there is a lot of life and things that you are missing where you are.

Hi Kimmemela:
I felt the same way as you about Ajijic/Chapala. At 59 & self employed with a very flexible schedule, I felt like "the kid" in Ajijic. Especially with my Southern California look and overall vibe. Here in San Diego, my friends range from 27 to 66, with most in their 40s & 50s. I like Ajijic/Chapala in many ways...great people, all super welcoming to me. But I needed a broader age range of available friends with the physical ability to do more active things. Also the town was too small and confining for me. That's why I'm headed to San Miguel this spring to spend a year. I've been there several times and it's just right for me. I found a great place to rent  in a really good colonia, so off I go. I promise you, we're out here and you'll find us. :). Buena suerte. -- Barb