Import taxes in Peru

I'm moving back to Peru after many years absence, (I'm a US citizen and my husband is a Peruvian citizen). We never registered our marriage 40+ years ago with the Peruvian Consulate in the States, so I did do that earlier this year while applying for Peruvian residency. After 2 years of residency, I can apply for citizenship.
As soon as I get my residency,  I would like to bring down my car (a 2015) and maybe a container of some used personal and household stuff. When I try to figure out what the taxes might be, it's so confusing! And I don't want to wait until I get my citizenship,  because by then my car will be over the age limit allowed entry.
I'm not getting any idea online--that doesn't change every time I ask  (I know, good practice for living there!)
Thanks
Bloom

Prior to purchasing a new car in Lima, I met with an import agency in Callao and asked for an estimate of costs to ship a used model from Miami. The estimate had many cost components and would cost more than the same model if purchased used in Peru. An interesting cost factor is a 19% sales tax is added on an imported vehicles but a used one in Lima from a private party does not. Also my bargain price of a used one in US. would be ignored, customs uses there own data basis of values for the tax. Finally, new vehicles from dealers in Lima include the 18 or 19% sales tax. My new Ford in Lima did cost the same as I would have paid in the US. My advice is shop for a car on neoauto.com which is El Comercio's auto source.[/b]

Thanks, Russ.
My personal situation is this: I already own the vehicle, a 2015 RAV4. I have had it since new and have been meticulous with the care. In addition, I've checked online and the RAV4 in Peru is somewhat different. Mine has a 2.5 liter engine and all wheel drive. The ones in Peru are usually only a 2.0 and not 4x4, and if they do have what mine does, it's a lot more expensive. I'm moving about 20-25 minutes north of Tarapoto, so it's something I will need a few times a week, plus some trips.
So I'm trying to juggle this. Should I pay off the car (10k), pay for shipping (4k?), pay the tax (4-5k), etc, possibly spending 20k and at least have the car I want/need? Or should I sell my car, walk away with 5-8k, put in another 5k or so and just buy something down there? A big difference between spending 30k vs spending an additional 5-8k!
That's why I am trying to figure out if it's worth it. I don't think I would try to buy the same exact vehicle down there; it's too expensive. Plus, there's only two of us. Maybe I would get a pick up with a back seat? I will be living in Tarapoto, as I said.
Thanks for the input. I'm leaving in maybe 2 months, so I've got to figure this out. Does this additional info change anything you said?
Bloom
PS: how can you make sure you are getting true title when buying a car in Peru?

Like I explained do not get involved in importing a vehicle. In 2013, I did an exhausive investigation in my search for a 4x4 SUV in Lima, and ended up buying a new 2012 Ford Expedition and I would not replace it for anything. I later sold a 1992 Lexus that caused me a lot of grief and money. At that time I could not find any well cared for low mileage Ford Expeditions and the used Toyota Prados 4x4 SUV were too expensive for a 5 seat SUV, same with the Jeeps. Now there are a few Ford Expedition and Explorers advertised on Neoauto in your price range. You can look up titles and traffic tickets on the Web in Peru make sure from who and what you are buying and absolutely do the transaction with a reputable notary in Lima. You also should investigate what sources are available near your Peruvian location for parts and repairs. Another tip: Tourists can not get a Peruvian bank account so have a family member open one and transfer your money for buying a vehicle while in the US. Do not carry cash around here everyone  pays by transfers from Peruvian banks to  sellers account and show the receipt to the notary when signing papers. Be careful that the title is not put in the bank account holders name, but in yours. Do not give anyone a power of attorney. I had a major screw up with a previous Ford dealer that was later put out of business. Buy insurance and maybe lo-jack from Hunter in Lima.

ALSO GET GASOLINE TYPE ONLY, ORIGINAL STEERING, AIRCONDITIONING 4X4 AND AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION.   

Hey! Thanks so much for such a thorough and helpful answer!!
Great advice on the transfer/bank acc stuff, as well. Actually, I will not be a tourist; I started my residency last year, based on my marriage with Enrique (in 1973!! I have lived there in the 70s & 80s and we had never bothered to do this back then). It is almost complete, and with a Carnet de Extanjería, I hope I will be able to complete the transaction.
Thanks again, and I hope to ask you a few more questions in the future.
Bloom

sell the car in the states,, itll be less of an headache.. forget buying a car in lima..
iquitos is a tax free zone,at least when it comes to buying new cars,,a brand new pick up truck 4x4 usually toyota,that you would pay 30k in lima..will only cost you 25k in iquitos,, ship it down river with one of the many companies sailing from iquitos to yurimaguas,(3 days), the shipping cost is minimal.a few  hundred dolars max..
(the car dealers here in iquitos will bring any make or model you like from lima,,they pay no tax there...)
once the cars in yurimaguas your just a 3 hour cruise from tarapoto central....
ps the container for the furniture sounds a good idea,, but what you have to realise is the container wont come to your house ! itll all be unloaded in callao by a bunch of not very careing dockers,then loaded onto a clapped out lorry.. by the time it gets to you half the stuff will be damaged,and some of it just disapeared !
when you try to claim,,no-one will accept responsability.. the shipping company will say that it was fine when i got to callao,, the transport company will say thats how it came. the customs officials will have also torn everything apart, but youll never be informed about that ! and youll be left crying.
I KNOW,and everyone i know who has done the same,has had the same problem !
good luck ,your gonna need it,

Thanks for the info! Actually, we lived here in the 70's and 80's (husband is Peruvian) and we brought a 40 container with a car & household stuff back then. My daughter brought her stuff back to Peru in 2013, without any losses, BUT we know people at the port & have a friend who is an agent, so I've got y fingers crossed!
Thanks for the tip on Iquitos. What about used cars? Are they also tax free?
Bloom

sorry ,couldnt tell you that,,if you buy private,i cant see why not,,havent seen any used car dealers here.

When you say "here" are  you referring to Iquitos or Lima?
Bloom

Good info! Does that mean that Iquitos is full of more normal priced used cars? Or not?  And how far would you have to ship it before you can drive it?