What are the dos and don'ts of finding a job in Puerto Rico?

Hello everyone,

Where is the best place to start when looking for a job in Puerto Rico? Is it better to job-hunt by directly contacting the company of your interest, or should job-seekers rely on a recruitment agency, for example?

Are there any unique aspects that job-seekers should consider when preparing their CV/résumé and cover letter? Should a photo be included?

Do you have any tips on interview conduct in Puerto Rico? Are there any particulars, such as greetings or behavioural customs?

In you opinion, is knowledge of the local language or a regional language necessary to successfully apply for a job? What level of the language should job-seekers have mastered?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Job seekers first of all need have some level of Spanish fluency as not many jobs are English only. A lot of the younger generation are fully fluent in Spanish and somewhat to highly fluent in English which means, that they have an advantage on most jobs over an English only speaker.

Unemployment in the US is around 4.3%, while in Puerto Rico it averages around 15% (Official 11.5). Many towns average 25% unemployment so location makes a difference.

If you have a skill that is lacking in PR you have a better chance, but serving/making drinks or driver or other common occupations face a stiff competition from locals.

Locals also have an advantage on salary, they can live on a smaller salary than most expats since they know the customs, the market and can communicate better with their landlords, besides they know where to go to finds items cheaper.

Don't expect to be payed the same as in the states, likely you be payed about 1/2 what you make in the states. For example: a lot of Nurses with experience make around 30k a year in PR, yet if they go to the states they can make around 60k. Programmers in PR make 50-60k, in the states that number can easily go to 120k depending on the state and company (Some companies pay 150k to some highly skilled programmers). If you are a fairly green Programmer in PR you will start around 30k.

I highly discourage anyone from moving to Puerto Rico with a job dependance. Either get the job before you move to the island, or keep a job from the states that you can do remotely in PR. If you are still hardheaded enough to come look for a job, I recommend to have some side money to clear your debts in PR and to buy a ticket to return to the states, otherwise you could end up homeless in PR with few friends and no family support.

Where to look: Clasificados, Newspapers, job postings in stores and restaurants, job fairs, web sites job postings, Federal Job postings.

In PR a lot of jobs sometimes go to friends, not always to the most qualified, specially in Government.

I dont like to paint a Rosy picture, i try to paint reality and prepare you better.
Rey