Telecommuting from Puerto Rico?

Hi,

My job is home-based, I can work from pretty much anywhere with an internet connection. I'm seriously considering moving to Puerto Rico. Does anyone know any specifics about working for a US-based company remotely while living in PR? From what I've seen online it looks like I wouldn't pay federal income taxes while living in PR, but would pay local taxes? My health insurance (Aetna)'s website lists providers covered in their network in PR. Would I be able to just find one and go to them, same as I would if I moved to a different state in the US? Thanks for your time!

Hi and welcome on Expat.com Koppi :)

I guess it's a perfect job for an expatriate ;)
I hope others members in Puerto Rico will advise you on these specific questions.

Have a good day
Armand

Very kindly I would advise you to not move to Puerto Rico. In the beginning you will think that people's attitudes are just because they don't know you and so on, and put a good face on the obvious anti-gringo treatment, but after years of suffering you will one day ask yourself why you wasted so many years of your life on such a dreary miserable island. I live in the states now where I am treated fairly... people smile when they greet me... is another world compared to the arrogant population in PR. I highly and most sincerely ask you to reconsider your move to PR. Regards.

HBosch, we understand you had a bad experience in PR, and I am sorry hear this, but could you please try to help / reply to questions instead of complaining on several discussions ? I am sure Koppi (and I) would appreciate ...

Thanks in advance for your consideration

Mr. Julien,

Suppose that I lived in Somalia and someone was asking me for advice and such about telecommuting? Suffice to say that there's a lot more to be said about Somalia than health-insurance and Internet speed; especially for westerners, like myself.

If I want a disneyland blog, I'll go to Disneyland.com

Thanks HBosch and anyone and everyone who speaks up. Think I'll stay in Ireland for a bit.

Man, is there something in the water? Where's all the vitriol coming from? Disneyland blog, really? Come on, people are genuinely looking for advice. So the only way we should communicate is out of anger? This is an adult site and most people here are trying to communicate in an adult, intelligent and civil manner.

It just so happens that I absolutely hate where I live in the states. I have some very good and valid reasons. I would never recommend that someone move here, ever. But that's just my experience. I know people personally that love it here. It all boils down to our own personal expectations and experiences. I know people, both natives and expats who absolutely abhor Puerto Rico. I also know natives and expats that love PR so much that they couldn't imagine waking up everyday anywhere else in the world.

People aren't looking for us to decide for them whether or not they should go to Puerto Rico, they just want some reasonably intelligent advice and for anyone to share their  personal experiences,good or bad.

Let's just be friends and treat each other with some respect and compassion. There's enough crap being spewed about these days with all the fringe politics going on. We should all be able to rise above that.

Gregg

Hello GreggK ;)

I welcome your post ;) I like your last sentence - well said.