Are there Relationship Counselors in PR?

Hi, I'm a licensed Clinical Marriage and Family Therapist from the mainland, and my family is considering a relocation to Puerto Rico. I have not been able to find any info about the field of relationship/marital counseling or general mental health practice in PR.  When I checked the website of the national MFT organization, I noticed only two MFT's names listed in PR  :) 
I'd greatly appreciate any insights you can give me, concerning any aspect of my questions:
Is relationship/marital counseling something recognized or practiced outside of churches in PR?  is there a market for MFTs?  How are mental health services generally viewed or accepted?  Are they covered by insurance plans like on the mainland, or do people tend to pay out of pocket?  What might be the chance for an English-speaking therapist to build a practice (even if it's part time)in PR? 
If you know someone who might have some info for me, I'd be grateful to be put in touch with them too!   
Thanks so much!

Hi Wellspring,

Welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members will be able to give you info on your queries.

Wish you good luck
Christine

Thank you Christine!

Wellspring wrote:

What might be the chance for an English-speaking therapist to build a practice (even if it's part time)in PR?

Hi Wellspring,

I can't help you with most of your questions, I'm afraid - being happily married myself. :)

Even if you would speak Spanish (you really should consider learning Spanish if you plan to move here) I don't think you'd have a chance to get many local customers. Most Puerto Ricans would if they are looking for counseling rather talk with a local counselor than to a foreigner.

The above makes clear that you're limited to the English speaking community. Many of them are in the higher income class and I would assume that either they can afford to pay for your services or that they have an excellent health plan that would include at least part of what they would have to pay you for your services.

The best way to find out if there would a market for your services would be checking with expat clubs and organizations. The first one that comes to mind is the Newcomers club of San Juan - http://www.newcomerspr.com/ - other options might be the country clubs. The Dutch club is inactive at this moment; there's a British Commonwealth club that used to be active, I know of a German club.

In the expat areas (Condado, expensive gated communities in the Metropolitan area, Dorado, Rincon) you will meet many expats and could promote your services.

Good luck!

I don't know how widespread the field of marital counseling is in Puerto Rico, but psychiatrists and psychologists are very common.

You can get a sampling on the website of my insurance provider (if the link doesn't get flagged as spam). You might want to contact them to ask if they provide coverage for your specialty.

http://www.ssspr.com/SSSPortal/ProviderSearch.aspx

Especialidad is specialty, Psicologo is psychologist, Psiquiatra is psychiatrist, Pueblo is municipality, Buscar is search.

The fact that you're from the states won't hurt you, but like Gary said, not being fluent in Spanish will. One of my clients is a very successful psychiatrist from the States. But she was raised on the island and her Spanish is perfect.

Get ready to take some intensive Spanish lessons. :-) Let me know if you need some help.

Hi Gary, thanks so much for your reply, very helpful! (And I'm very glad for you that you're happily married!) :D

I definitely agree with you in terms of learning Spanish.  If we make the move, it'll be important for us to get to know and appreciate local cultures and language, regardless of my work.

Your suggestion to explore the various ex-pats communities is good.  I realize the number of this population is limited, but just don't know how limited.  In addition, I know relationship counseling is more of a North American phenomenon, not all cultures are keen on this concept.     

So, if you or anyone else who's reading the message know of someone who's familiar with the counseling/mental health culture in PR, I'd greatly appreciate if you would put me in touch with them!

Thanks again!

[You can get a sampling on the website of my insurance provider (if the link doesn't get flagged as spam). You might want to contact them to ask if they provide coverage for your specialty.../quote]

Hi Adolfojp,
Thanks so much for your reply!  What a great lead.  I'll look into the provider list, and possibly speak with SSS.  And you're so thoughtful to provide me with translations.  I'll have been clueless without them.

I agree with you and Gary, unlike your psychiatrist friend, not being a native Spanish speaker myself, it won't be realistic for me to pursue a practice with local clients...

Wellspring,

I just realized that there is an English link on the top of the SSS website. My translation wasn't even required. :-)

But if you need any translations or help with Spanish just let me know.

adolfojp wrote:

Wellspring,
I just realized that there is an English link on the top of the SSS website. My translation wasn't even required. :-)
But if you need any translations or help with Spanish just let me know.

Better yet, great!
Thanks so much for your help, Adolfojp!

Hi Wellspring,

I have similar questions as you do. I speak a child's version of Spanish and would really work to become fluent if I make the move, which wouldn't be for awhile. Would you keep us posted when or if you make the move?
Best of luck,
Diannah

I've only lived on the island a little over 4 months now and I don't have any familiarity with marital counseling as I am happily married like Gary. But he and Adolfo can probably give you the best all around advice. Aside from learning Spanish you might want to examine what you can charge where you are versus what you can charge here. I've never used a counselor or a psychiatrist so I don't know what they charge. All I know is that when I first got here I went to a medical doctor so I could get some new prescriptions written and I was charged $15 for the office visit. That's unheard of in the states. My wife is a native and she tells me that it's been her experience that the society here in PR is not big on using marriage counselors. Just my 2 cents.

Gregg