Authentic Mexican Food Truck What do you think?

Hey all,

My fam. and I are planning on a business venture out in PR.
My Husband is Mexican,I am Puerto Rican, after our vacation in April 2010 he fell in love with PR. He is a Great Chef and he had the idea of starting a "lonchera" or food truck like the ones in California. So do you think there is a market for MExican food in Ponce? We would appreciate your feed back.

Thanks!

Welcome to Expat-blog,Katira :)

Hope that members soon give you their feedback on the "lonchera" business.

Regards,
Sheetul

I asked my wife who is from Mayaguez about your idea and she thought it would probably do just fine. There are a lot of vendors selling the same stuff all over and she thought the addition of Mexican food would be a welcome change. Obviously you would need to make a good product, not just run of the mill stuff. I personally would also offer some PR staples like pinchos.  Just like most other businesses, a good location is very important. Just be prepared for it to go either way. You could be overwhelmed with business or not make enough to get by. That will depend on how well you set the business up and run it. The economy might be bad there but every time I'm there I see the restaurants are always packed and the street vendors are doing well. Since you are Puerto Rican you should have a good feel for what makes them happy. Just make a good product at a fair price and in my opinion you shouldn't have any trouble making it work. Just remember that any business venture is not without risk. Oh, and you can probably expect the permit process to be painstakingly slow.

Gregg

There's definitely an interest on the island in Mexican food, and Ponce is a relatively sophisticated town. In our little barrio around Caguas we have both a street stall with enchiladas and a higher-end place that is "Mexican-inspired." Other than the latter, I've really not tried any Mexican food since I know it WON'T compare to what you can get in Mexico or even in Chicago.

Some Mexican chilis are available, esp at Walmart: jalapenos, mostly, also poblanos and chipotle. A variety similar to habanero is locally grown and made into a sauce hot enough to sear my skin. All this I don't understand, because food here is generally not that spicy.

Oh, and flour tortillas are available, but not of corn.

Thanks for all your feed back,

Good points from all of you. I def. agree about the good product. I want to serve what I like to eat. We have spent a huge part of my life in Southern California, so I think we have a good idea on what Real Mexican food can be. I Pray we are overwhelmed with business. :)
I found the greatest site to import the little tortillas like they use in TJ to make the little tacos. So excited about that!!

Just remember the old saying, "be careful what you wish for, you just might get it". Good luck on your venture. I admire anyone who has the energy and determination to start their own business.

Gregg

If you get it started, let me know, I will come try it out when in the area!

Hello, I'm sarting a food truck in San Juan and have done a lot of research, would love to share my findings with you when you're ready. Just get in touch. Jane

I think it probably will do well. Licenses and permits for that venture can sometimes be a bit of a hassle, but you guys will most likely be successful at it.

Hello Katira. I'm Mexican, if your loncheria is already open we wuld like to have a bite. I'm from Mexico we will be visiting in San Juan and other towns in mid Feb.

Yeah, how's that coming along? You should keep us posted on your progress. I wish you success.

Gregg

Yes, PLEASE keep us posted! I really want to visit when you open!

If you are opening a food truck for Mexican, I believe the standard in PR is EL Trompo in front of Interamerican University Metro Campus. For restaurants I get my very authentic Mexican fix at Frida's in Hato Rey.

Bear in mind that after, Dominicans, Cubans and North Americans, Mexicans constitute the largest immigrant group in PR. Many of these have come to open Mexican food establishments. Many with very authentic ingredients, yet a lot have had to adapt their offerings to the Puertorican palate. Its a well trotted ground, but there is always room for innovation.

Source: My many years in the hospitality business.