Opening a new business in DR

Thanks for that.

I guess that is my plan to meet expats on the network.

And also within the Dominicans themselves- I'm sure
they are up to date with the 21st century.

I think I would find the D.R. similar to that of country's
in Africa.

Botswana as an example has two thirds in the past, and
a third up to date. And still it is thriving.

But my focus has set onto Santo Domingo. And areas
round about. I'm also keen to find work further a field
within the country too.

Have you been here before???

Why are you focusing on the SD area?

Bob K

Define up to date with the 21st century?  And within the Dominicans themselves?  What does that mean to you?

If you are luck here up to date means that if they say they will be there on Tuesday they actually show up some time on Tuesday.  That is being up to date :D

Bob K

Let him answer the questions before making with the quips. Getting a bit ahead of ourselves are we? Throwing darts don't always hit the intended target.  Watch out for ricochets.

In Botswana there are two life styles.
The city like Gabarone is modern, while there is the larger population
living in the villages.
Is the Dominican Republic like this?
That is what I meant. And we all live in the 21st century, it is a date
after all.
Wrong description referring to the 21st century. I wasn't implying the
Democratic Republic was behind the times.
I guess it would be impolite to say -you people- a few words can be so
misunderstood.
I wouldn't be disrespectful to a new country, and which I intend to live
in. But rather the country I am willing to leave behind.
There are motives behind every man's schemes or plans and mine do
not involve running down this web site or the people in it.

No never, why?

Ok  this is interesting. You have never been here yet you think you want to live here. Okay that is cool.

Santo Domingo kinda has a dual personality, or maybe multiple.....  There are the haves and the have nots,  business and regular life.  There are tourist and upper class areas and slums.

Traffic is horrible all of the time.  Very few areas have  24 / 7 electricity. Make sure where ever you end up you have a back up system.    Shopping - lots of options.  Restaurants - lots of options.  Middle class neighborhoods - a few of them.   

21st  century  - sometimes but not always!   Sometimes we are ahead of the times and sometimes wayyyyy behind....

Bob made a pretty common joke about time - time has little meaning here.   Gypsy he was right on track with this one and meant no disrespect whatsoever.

I lived in Africa for 25 years- the nature of the Democratic Republic is similar
to Africa, but I understand, the culture is not African- but unique to itself.

This is a great thing and something I can only experience, un poco, on a visit
in December.

Returning to the United Kingdom was an culture shock, believe it or not-
(I have lived here since 1996) but things happen in life, that is short, making
the head turn to experience life elsewhere.

And you are asking why the Democratic Republic-
C'mon Planner you are woman, why would a man journey so far to country
he knows nothing of?

Life is short, and aren't so sweet- it all depends on the people we meet...

Hahahaha I totally understand..... I hope there will be much more to the culture that keeps you here!

Make no mistake, I was writing about the responders not to Mr Moylan.  Now on to the reality of life anywhere including this wondrous , confusing beautiful, mysterious island of the Dominican Republic.The beauty of the land has to be seen, around every bend a new vista appears.  The back roads over the hills & mountains can bring sensory joy to us.  A stop for a frosty Presidente at a tiny calmado by the roadside can turn into an hour of laughter & the warmth of the people. It is only in the big cities & heavily invested tourist areas that you lose the essence of this place.  Do every thing you can to  to know this place. Once you do, it will reside in your heart forever.     I tell you fo tru me son.  ...Dost spake the Tinker.

That's right, legally. Even though the entire country is one big illegal free for all. Sorry, that's not for you. That's for locals. But, you have to be completely legal! Ok, I will go barf now.

Yep, sarcasm and humor here. So people, don't get all bent out of shape about it :)

Actually Dreamtime you DO need to get bent out of shape about it. They will treat you with a completely different set of rules and standards then locals. Make NO mistake they will shut you down anytime they want if you break their rules.  Go to court on a labor case and see how the award will go!   

As foreigners we are GUESTS here and we need to follow the rules.  That is not only what this site stands by but it  is also what I tell my clients and have done so for years!

Planner is correct.  Get into trouble and see how fairly you are treated.

Go to court and no matter what the issue or facts as the gringo you have a 95% or higher failure rate.

Sorry but that is the way it is.

Bottom line....keep you nose clean and FOLLOW the rules... ALL of them

Bob K

What did I say? "Don't get bent out of shape" :)

Realistically, if some gringo wants to do some plumbing or electrical job for another gringo, I doubt that is going to land anyone in labor court.  Creating fear over nothing is a waste of time.

And it takes almost NOTHING to respect the laws and the country and register yourself!  We don't create the fear -  after  over 12 years here I have SEEN  it and I will continue to call it like I see it. Bob has over  10  years of living and at times working here, he also knows!

We are going to disagree on this one and the policy of this SITE is NOT to encourage circumventing the laws.

Planner... well said

Bob K

Hi Planner-
How are you today.
I would love to meet and talk about the Democratic Republic when I am in
Santo Domingo, or Bob- and any one else for that matter.

It would be nice to meet expats who have lived in the country for some.

Cheers now.

Let me know if you make it to the north coast.  I would be happy to meet.

Bob K

Happy to honey,  first  step -  learn the name of the country  Dominican Republic or DR for short.....   :lol:

Planner good catch. I did not even register that.  Maybe because I am a Republican :D:D:D:D

Bob K

Haha. I don't think it's democratic :)

Thanks Bok K, I will let you know as the time of my arrival gets closer.

Many thanks

Bill

OOps!

Hahahaha it happens honey.

Hahaha !!! bad mistake- Ooops

You should see my typing and thoughts with out enough coffee sometimes in the morning  :D

Bob K

Hi Planner, Bob K and dreamtime- no enough coffee is never enough.
And finding the best blend can be a journey, though myself I take lots
of sweeteners with mine.
I'm really looking forward to my first visit to the 'Dominican Republic' and
would hope to meet each of you- get to know people on the ground, and
understand the country as I know nothing of it.
Cheers

Hi Bob K,
Where are you on the north coast?

Bill

We live between Sosua and Cabarete.

Bob K

Thanks Bob K

You are welcome.  Maybe we can meet if  you are in the area.

Bob K

http://www.amazon.com/William-J.-Moylan … sr=1-2-ent

Way cool Bill!!!

I am impressed. 

Bob K

Very impressive Bill. I hope to see more of your contribution to this forum. I also work in Africa and planning to spend 1 month in DR, probably in the early New Year (January). This will be my 3rd visit to the North coast. It is thanks to this Forum that my interest in living in the DR has grown tremendously.  Maybe you can refer to this site as on line training to life in the DR.
Hope to meet each of you when I am in town.
Stan R.

Writing, it is a hobby that has become an infatuation. I started three years ago,
and it was something I'd wanted to do for sometime.
Hopefully I will write a book to be remembered by- something good of course.
And the pages were placed here just to show what my private interest are.
My Ducle Corazon says I must write a book about the 'Dominican Republic'
one day- hopefully I will.

Cheers

Hi StanR

Nice to hear from you.

This will be my first visit to the 'DR' and to any country in the caribbean-
I most certainly have butter flies about arriving in the DR for more reasons
than I'd care to admit.

It is cool to hear you live/work in africa too, and your sense of a free spirit moves
you to some place else to find that feeling of being set free inside of this world
that is for ever more becoming smaller as time moves on.

I won't be in the DR in January, but hopefully sometime next year. Where are you
located at present. I'm in Nottingham UK.

Cheers StanR

Hi Bill. When Im not in Africa I am in Montreal. To cold here in January so I will be planning on my return trip to DR. I am 67 but not retired yet. Someone asked me when I plan to retire. I replied soon as Im old enough.  So my trip to the DR is like another exploritory trip to achieve that goal.