The jobs that are the most in-demand for expats in Dominican Republic

Hello,

We invite you to share some information regarding the job market for expats in Dominican Republic. This information will be incredibly helpful to anyone considering moving there, so we're very grateful for your contribution.

What are the types of jobs that are easily accessible to expats in Dominican Republic?

What are the ones most in-demand for expats?

Which industry and/or jobs have limited workforce?

Are there any existing surveys, data, or reports done regarding this topic?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Interesting topic.

First to note: to work here legally an expat requires residency and a Dominican ID  card, called a cedula.

Next to note: the labor code is very specific that 80% of jobs and 80% of payroll is designated for Dominicans.

The govt is enforcing this much more now than ever.

Next to note: pay levels are very low. Don't expect to be able to live comfortably on Dominican pay!

Jobs available: some tourism jobs and normally requires multiple languages.

Call centers - lots of jobs available in this industry. Most are not in high tourism areas. Entry pay about US  $500 to 600 a month!

Other jobs - the best you will find is working for an international company that contracts you before you come here. These are few and far between and usually require specific experience.

It is not easy to find work here but it can be done!

Many expats create their work by opening their own businesses. Remember you can open a company without residency but you cannot actively work in the business without it!

What type of business experience do you have? The question is too general to reply to with valid answers. Tell us more please.   many members have knowledge in many areas. Be more specific please.

I'm a licensed beautician and would like to get a job working amongst the expats living here, charging "Gringo" rates? What are the policies to do this? I know in order to have a business one must need residency so after that what do I do then? All my skills were acquired in the States so I have my certifications of training. Thanks you for your advice.

You don't need residency to own a business.  You need residency to work in that or any other business.

Working in a salon in tourist areas will work, charging gringo rates won't.

Certificates of training aren't usually required.

Hi, thanks so much for the tip!

There is virtually a beauty salon on every corner here, just like Colmados.  A Gringa salon is an interesting concept, but I'd say gringo prices will never fly.
There are beauty shops that cater to well to do Dominicans, and their rates are probably just as high as salons in the states.

Those that cater to foreigners are not on every  corner.  Depending where you settle there may or may not be a need for a salon for foreign women. 

High end salons in santo domingo and  Santiago do charge ridiculous rates and women pay that to say they go there!   However my experience of those type of salons was not great!

A Beauty Salon made only for Foreigners in my opinion is not that good Idea except you go and get a Beauty Salon right inside a Resort there it may will work also with Prizing . You will need to check with big Hotel Groups.               
The other option is to look for a Dominican partner a Woman well known with her Clientele , this will need some research but could work . If you open a Salon and you are unknown you will not have a big chance except you do it in Tourist areas but here it is expensive and you will need to live mostly from Expats . I have not seen even one Salon working with this Concept .
The biggest and also most expensive is a Salon in a Mall but the bigger the Better and offer Hair extensions . This is a real big Business ! Or do a Beauty Spa . But have in mind, if you unknown you will have difficulties to get you Biz to work . If you never had experience working with Afro Hair it will lower your Options . Many Beauty salons do start here at Home and from here they extend .....

Thanks for the wonderful advice!!

@Priscilla I'm an auto service manager, and have been managing retail/auto for the better part of 25+ years.  I'm a general handyman at home, and can do just about anything, and I'm willing to do just about anything.  What can I do.

@Priscilla

Im looking for a english speaking physical therapist to hire part time in Puerto Plata. Do you know where I can list this.
This is an old thread. The base information posted still holds true.

Priscilla worked for Expat and does not live here.

Ctbrians mechanics are everywhere here and most shops and small and owner managed. Pay is exceedingly low and you must have a cedula.  Handyman - everywhere.  Unless you carve out an expat niche of clients it will be tough.

Scoldoc I recommend posting in the jobs section of the classifieds.

@the tinker40

hi. not yet too familiar with this site. im a registered EEG tech in the US. its a specialized allied health field with shortages of skilled  labor in the US and beyond. Mostly used to detect epilepsy and other seizure disorders.

i just visited Punta Cana last month. its beautiful. i wonder if it may be possible to work and perform EEGs in the DR. and what that would take? i think i can eventually get my Spanish up to fluency.

This thread is many years old.

Please read the residency thread that is pinned to see how you qualify