Bringing a car from uk

Hi I know this subject was discussed at length in may but I have a slightly different query.i own a 56 year old pink Cadillac which I've had for 28 years and am planning on moving to Malta v soon. Although I currently live in uk Malta is my second home and I want to ship the Cadillac over as I can't bear to part with it! I might even drive it down and ferry across and make a road trip out of it! My question is :as a EU citizen (before brexit comes about) can I bring the car in as a vintage car? Am I exempt from import duty ? As the original owner in the uk and I imported it from America myself,what are the rules regarding my circumstances?

Cadillacjo wrote:

Hi I know this subject was discussed at length in may but I have a slightly different query.i own a 56 year old pink Cadillac which I've had for 28 years and am planning on moving to Malta v soon. Although I currently live in uk Malta is my second home and I want to ship the Cadillac over as I can't bear to part with it! I might even drive it down and ferry across and make a road trip out of it! My question is :as a EU citizen (before brexit comes about) can I bring the car in as a vintage car? Am I exempt from import duty ? As the original owner in the uk and I imported it from America myself,what are the rules regarding my circumstances?

Where it is manufactured is not important, if it has been registered in your name for more than two years in the UK and you have lived outside Malta for 2 years you can bring it across and apply for exemption from registration tax.

Apart from this, which applies to all vehicles, you should be able to take advantage of the concession shown below:

'Concessions for Classic Vehicles in Malta
Any vehicle whose year-of-manufacture is 30 years and above and is in original and genuine condition is eligible for classic status. Classic status means that owners pay greatly reduced road license fees. Persons wishing to import classic vehicles from abroad pay only 50% of the applicable First Registration fees for vehicles between 35 and 50 years old. If the vehicle is over 50 years old no first registration tax is payable'.

This might help you:
http://www.fmvamalta.org/subcommities.aspx

Ray

Hi Ray, thanx for the advice- much appreciated. Looking forward to bringing it over x jo