Married to Romanian wife, have Permis de Sedere, but....

Hello all, I am new here and am curious about something.

I received my Permis de Sedere in late 2013 when I first moved to Romania after our wedding at our local Romanian city hall. We lived here until November of 2014 and she got her visa to go to the US. We stayed there for a couple of years, all the while me having my name still registered at my home of residence in Romania.

We moved back permanently to Romania on June 22nd this year and when I went through immigration I handed him my passport and Permis de Sedere. He scanned and stamped my passport and didn't even look at my permis de sedere, he just handed it back to me with my passport.

I'm concerned because does that mean Romanian immigration/Border Patron has me down as a 90 day visitor, or do they have my permis de sedere information already on file? I didn't understand why I got a passport stamp when my Permis de sedere doesn't expire until late 2018.

Just got here and don't want to get caught up in any mess, so if it's just something minor and nothing to sweat, could definitely use the heads up!

Thank you!

Ok, so based on what I just read, this single sentence is what applies most to my situation?

"It must have been issued within the last 10 years (documents issued prior to 2003 are NO LONGER ACCEPTED)."

Unfortunately Cristian, that link provided above is not applicable, as this matter is about the residence permit, not a visa.

Fthornton, if you left in Nov 2014 and just came back now, technically, your residence permit should be invalid/cancelled as you've been out of the country more than 6 consecutive months and more than 10 total since your permit was issued.  If this happened, they should have notified you by post at your registered address, I would think.

However, if the border police didn't say anything and handed the permit back to you, you probably are ok.  I wouldn't sweat it :)

Don't worry about the passport stamp, they stamp mine also depending on who I come across.  I've never been held up about it.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Well, like I said, he didn't even look at my permis de sedere, he just stamped my passport.

I did go pick up a moneygram from the bank today sent from my mom in the US and they used my permis de sedere and I had no issues. Would that indicate its still valid?

How do I inquire it its still valid? I don't want to run into issues due to border agent not verifying my residency card.

Fthornton423 wrote:

Well, like I said, he didn't even look at my permis de sedere, he just stamped my passport.

I did go pick up a moneygram from the bank today sent from my mom in the US and they used my permis de sedere and I had no issues. Would that indicate its still valid?

How do I inquire it its still valid? I don't want to run into issues due to border agent not verifying my residency card.

Moneygram/banks wouldn't have the slightest idea if it's valid or not :)  Only way to check is to walk into an IGI office and ask them directly....keep in mind though, if you walk in and tell them your story, they may invalidate it on the spot, if it isn't already invalid.  You might open a can of worms :)

So what would your advice be to do? My wife is adamant I can staywith regardless just because we're married, and like you said...that can of worms could "cost" me....

I don't want to go through it all from scratch, so should I just renew it or if I stay over90 days just to find out later it is invalid, would I be subject to penalties even though I'm here with my wife in the Romanian home in our names we paid on since we left?

Sooooo confused right now, but my wife's advice isn't very convincing

Also should note we came back to ro twice in the 2 years we were gone so it wasn't 2 years consecutive

Fthornton423 wrote:

So what would your advice be to do? My wife is adamant I can staywith regardless just because we're married, and like you said...that can of worms could "cost" me....

I don't want to go through it all from scratch, so should I just renew it or if I stay over 90 days just to find out later it is invalid, would I be subject to penalties even though I'm here with my wife in the Romanian home in our names we paid on since we left?

Sooooo confused right now, but my wife's advice isn't very convincing

Actually I'd follow her advise, I think you're ok to stay if the card in your hand isn't expired. 

Like I said, I often get my passport stamped coming and going from RO, it doesn't mean you're subject to the 90/180 day requirements of "tourists".  Sometimes the agents look at my residence card, sometimes not....in any case, I've never had a problem (though the border agent reminded me to always show my residence permit along with my passport), but I also I haven't been absent from the country more than what the law stipulates as acceptable.  They have all your info in their various databases, so I think you would have been stopped when you tried to enter if there was a problem.  Just my speculation. :)

If anything, you could go and tell them you want to renew it early, but you have to show justification for them to do it.  I renewed mine 3 months early before, but I showed them travel reservations showing I'd be out of country when it was due to renew.

Sir, sorry I have a question also, I've been out in Romania for almost 10months... But I have a permis de sedere up to 2021 validity... I'm planning visit this Sept using my permis de sedere or should I apply a visit visa just to make sure?cause I read one of your post it's only valid 6 months if you're outside Romania? Thank you

Last time I was in Romania was November 2017.

@Cristian Oancea - Thevista, (I am assuming you were replying to him), appears to be from the Philippines, not US.

"Filipinos intending to travel to Romania, a country that is party to the Schengen Agreement, must first obtain a visa. This requirement applies whether the purpose of the visit is for tourist, business, employment or study."

@Thevista  - I guess it comes down to whether or not they would check to see how long you have been out of the country. Maybe sometimes they do, other times they don't. You could risk it I suppose, but have a backup plan, just in case. Let us know what you decided, how it went and good luck to you.

i am from philippines , and i am new here in Romania. i have a question,. i hope someone will answer me. my employer want to get my permis de sedere . and many said , i will not give my id the permis de sedere because that is my property. do have someone copy the legal code which indicate that the employee well be holding and keep the id or permis de sedere?

@adaroxas11 For sure, just provide a copy, not the actual document. I am assuming this might be necessary for the employer to fill some documents w/ the govt. If the employer would want to get (and hold) the physical document, I would question the reason, I don't think there should be any. If the employer would want to just look at it/inspect it to ensure it is not fake, then sure.

thank you for the response 😊

Hi, My wife is Romanian and I have a 'Permis de Sedere' that expires in May 2019. I have been visiting Romania at least once every six months since I have has this card. Will there be any problem in renewing my card if I have not lived in Romania for 6 consecutive months during the last 5 years? Or do I just need to be in Romania once every 6 months to keep my card active? Please advise.

If i remember it correctly, u shouldnt be away from Romania for 6 months and more, otherwise your permis de sedere will be invalid.

Thank you. I have been doing that. I visit ever 6 months

You can stay one year(364 days) out of Romania. But if you are one day late, your Permis de Sedere will be invalid.