Will Puerto Rico be completely underwater?

http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/chi … te-change/http://globalfloodmap.org/Puerto_Ricohttps://19january2017snapshot.epa.gov/s … nge-pr.pdf

I talked to someone the other day that knows a lot about the ocean and coral reefs. He told me that the economy is the least of Puerto Rico's worries. The main reason to avoid Puerto Rico is that it will be underwater soon. He said that very large sections of ice are expected to break off of Antartica and fall into the ocean soon. It will cause the sea level to rise by 8 feet. Keep in mind that is just what he told me, I am not sure if it is based on any facts. This guy owns a salt water aquarium store, so he pays a lot of attention to the ocean.

I am going to post some links above that I found on the internet about the topic.

Glub glub...better get my snorkel tube and water wings  ready. 😮

No. Puerto Rico will NOT be completely under water.

Cerro de Punto is almost 4,400 ft. high. That leaves about 3,992 feet between the top of the peak and the ocean.

If the sea raises 8 feet and you live 10 feet above sea level, you still have 2 feet before your toes get wet. Besides we are talking many many decades before that happened, you are likely to be dead a few hundred years before the sea raises 1/2 of that 8 feet.

My place is 1,000 feet above sea level it will not go under ever specially not for the next 5 or more generations.

Besides living under water could be kind of cool :cool: Go in the backyard to get your lobsters.

Don't let people scare you with all this global warming and seas raising.

1 inch every 10-15 years... yes, it is a problem, but not "soon" as related the the impending economic disaster...

Have you ever visited Padre Island in Texas?
The place is barely 5 feet above sea level, most houses are on tall stills. A storm will bring the waves over 20 feet at times.

Loiza has had flooding and beach erosion for many years. People that are stupid enough to build their homes at the edge of the sea and at ground level deserve to loose it. Here is a good example http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/chi … incon2.jpg

According to that article the raise is 10 times worse that previous 2010 levels. So it is now at .4 of an inch, assuming it does not slow down any, then it will take 240 years to raise 8 feet.

I think my house is 9 miles from the sea  and about 9 feet above sea level. The house is about 3 feet above the street level so I just might have ocean view if I live long enough.

Sorry, what a totally absurd.  I am a member of the board of one of the major committees for reef restoration and conservation for the north coast of the island; for anyone to even suggest this is just ridiculous and really salacious.

Time to get a boat!  :cool:

We're moving WHERE? wrote:

Sorry, what a totally absurd.  I am a member of the board of one of the major committees for reef restoration and conservation for the north coast of the island; for anyone to even suggest this is just ridiculous and really salacious.

What group/ committee are you with?  I live on the north coast in Hatillo.  We had a local group "Agua vida " that was involved with beach cleanup and education.

I assume you are referring to the articles that those links connect or the statement about PR being underwater soon?

Nicole312 whoever told you those tall stories could not have been in PR ever in his life. In order for PR to be completely under water and disappear, the sea would need to raise over 4,390 feet. This climate change issue is full of false news and bad opinions. Could current beaches become under water? - Sure in 300 years or more, but it is not the same current beaches going under water as the island going under water.https://youtu.be/somvVEMdEDs

It's sad that climate change has been made into a political issue. If you're from one party you're supposed to believe it, if you're from the other party you're supposed to deny.
It looks like nobody is willing to seriously look into what climate scientists are saying about this.

I will refrain from any comments because politics are not allowed here...

Gosh, I thought getting wet was talking about sea level rises.

Gary wrote:

It's sad that climate change has been made into a political issue. If you're from one party you're supposed to believe it, if you're from the other party you're supposed to deny.

Sad, yes, but also stupid.
I'll stick with reliable science and stuff the politicians because their interest is quick cash.

According to National Geographics, if every bit of ice where to melt, the sea would rise by 216 feet. No problem, my place is 1,000 feet above sea level. :lol:

Excerpt: National Geographic teamed up with scientists and universities around the world to give an accurate depiction of what Earth would look like if sea level rose by 216 feet, the equivalent of melting all the water currently locked away in ice.

Assuming all this stuff is true, then those at low levels have several decades to move roads, and build in higher areas instead of in the danger zone. This is not going to happen in our life time or the life time of our great-great-great-grandkids.

Reminds me of the Superman movie, where Lex Luthor wanted to nuke the San Andrea fault to sink California into the sea so his property in Nevada would become beach front property. :lol:

Climate chage is real. The US owns some of the Marianas, which are literally disappearing RIGHT NOW by rising seas. For low-laying regions, this is a serious concern. Florida, parts of Georgia, Louisiana, Texas, California, Carolina, New York will be under water.

Puerto Rico is a volcanic island, so the elevation rises quickly from the coast. It has lowlands, but most of PR will not be affected in the foreseeable future by rising sea levels. The Yucatan, however, will: That includes most of the areas around the Yucatan Peninsula.

I'm much more concerned about PR's political and economic future, which could have a much greater impact on the coastline and geological features.

Assuming all this stuff is true, then those at low levels have several decades to move roads, and build in higher areas instead of in the danger zone. This is not going to happen in our life time or the life time of our great-great-great-grandkids.

... and homes and all the people who suffer a 100% loss in value?
Goegraphy is lovely but fails in some ways.

Fred wrote:

... and homes and all the people who suffer a 100% loss in value?
Goegraphy is lovely but fails in some ways.

Here is what I think......This is not an overnight change, it is a change over many years/decades, people can and should move. Will it be costly, yea!, but it is not just PR, it will happen all over the world. Plenty of higher ground to start over. Lost of property will happen to those in low laying areas, but people are aware and they can start building in higher ground, it is what it is. People need to take that into consideration when building. But likely many of the current structures will not be livable, they will be crumbling before the waters will reach them since it is at least 200 years into the future.

No I do not feel sorry for them since they been hearing this for years and they still have time to do the right thing. If they decide to be stupid, well, stupidity tends to be fatal. Hell we are only talking 8 feet rise in 200+ years, and 216 feet if it does not stop in another 1,000 or more years.

Not sure if the subways in NY will survive it, but there has been a lot of technological advances in all areas of science over the last 50 years, who knows what advances there will be in 200 years.