Working in PR as a non Spanish speaker

I want to move to PR this winter (probably Rincon?), but am worried about finding work. I currently live in the US and make a living in illustration and design. I do have some Spanish skills, but my speaking abilities aren't there.  I have years of class work behind me so I'm hoping I will pick it up somewhat quickly post move.

What advice do you guys have, especially pertaining to finding work? I'm completely open to getting a "survival job" as soon as I get there, but am worried this will be near impossible with my limited language abilities. Is my best option to do freelance design work and hope that my remote location works out? What can you tell me about your experience?

I can tell you that the US unemployment numbers are around 4% or less, compare that with PR that for a native speaker in the island is around 15% unemployment.

Most jobs in PR require fluency in Spanish.

You should try to get either a remote job from a US company that lets you live in PR or send out your resume and try to locate a job in PR before you move to the island.

Moving here without a job, can easily end up in financial ruin.

Many natives are leaving the island in hope of a job in the states.

Chelsigo, im a firm believer of the old saying " where there is a will there is a way" when we decided to move to PR just over 4 years ago i had the same concerns that you do now about employment.  I had very limited Spanish language skills and thought there would be no way i could find work similar to what my career had been in the states. I did however want to make sure i had something lined up prior to making the move. We had a home here already but i  knew work would be difficult to find in the area the house was located so i just focused on finding a job anywhere on the island I could.  it ended up being in a sales position in a completely new industry for me (tourism) at a major hotel in Rio Grande..which was close to a 2hr drive each way from my home...but it was well worth it because the goal was to be in PR and honestly it helped me learn my way around the island more than i wouldhave ever been ableto otherwise.  Over the last few years new connections have been made and I was able to find a job in the same industry i was in back in the states and I now work predominately at home.

The point is if you have a desire to be here i think now more so than ever there are many opportunities available. Do your research and be sure to set your expectations accordingly when it comes to the type of income you personally will need to get by in PR (which varies depending on your lifestyle), but finding employment with limited or no Spanish speaking skills at all is very achievable.

I wish you well in your search should you decide to make the move..

I dont sugar coat anything.  Natives have a hard time finding jobs here.. businesses here dont hire people full time.   
I suggest either opening your own business,  however that is costly and many frustrations
Yes rincon is definely gringolandia.
Even businesss there are struggling
Maybe you can do work for a work away program.  But usually thats room and board and maybe a meal or 2 a day. These dont pay you.

I am a teacher I found a job at an English speaking school within a week of being here.... I would apply everywhere i was told to ignore when it said bilingual under requirements. You can definitely find something within the tourist industry easily. I was also told going into places and handing in a resume in person was a better way of getting a job then emailing. Try emailing people in your field or connecting through LinkedIn and trying to set up phone meetings or in person meetings. It's a lot about who you know!

Which English speaking school do you work at we are trying to find an English school for my grandkids