Update w/Research

Hello folks,

After ongoing research (and much more is needed!!), I've gotten some concrete answers from the consulate and SS.  A couple of banks in Mexico are joined with US (BOA & Wells Fargo), or you can use ATM (fees apply).  I qualify for permanent residency and I just have to compare driving to flying/shipping some items.  It's a little overwhelming but I've sent in the paperwork for passports ($400 w/expedition!!)...6-8 weeks without :-(.  It seems folks who have been guiding me (including consulate) feel driving would be a huge hassle, and although I agree, I'm having a hard time parting with my vehicle.  My truck is older, but runs well, and I'd feel more in control.  Can't imagine life without a vehicle LOL.  Mapping out stops to sleep would be the issue, I've learned that GPS works excellently all the way down to Yucaton!!  Gasoline seems to be more expensive in Mexico than in Florida.

At this point I am considering San Miguel, Monterray, Cancun, Guadalaraja, and maybe the outskirts of Mexico City.  Although living rural is cheapest, I fear I would not have access to decent schools, activities for my 11 year old, shopping, or Amazon shipping.  Someone told me Amazon doesn't ship to many parts of Mexico, can anyone confirm?

San Miguel seems to offer a lot of culture, art, shopping, eating, movies, community center for my son, etc.  Not having the truck still bothers me though lol.

Thanks for listening, when I get the passports, I will apply for the permanent Visa.  Between now and then, I have to research the moving choices...have a couple of websites to check out via the consulate.  Import fees go by the value of your belongings and the consulate said that the things I'm thinking of taking would not be very costly.  We will see.  Small dog and cat could ride in cabin if we were to fly.  Lots to figure out, but many questions have been answered.  I will keep plugging away.  Any thoughts/comments/advice is welcomed.  Anyone wanting to make the trip together is welcomed too!!

Have you looked at Lake Chapala?

FYI, you cannot bring a US plated car into Mexico with a resident permanente, you can with a temporal resident visa for up to 4 years. Good luck, we are moving to San Miguel in August:)

apicasso,

I have to clarify the temporary/permanent visa.  I may have worded that wrong.  I know I can bring it in and I remember 4 years being mentioned, will be in touch with them again soon.   So overwhelmed with info!!

My plan is also around August sometime.   San Miguel seems to be a great area with a lot to offer.  I'm torn with the beach!!

Susan, I will look into Lake Chapala

Leener wrote:

apicasso,

I have to clarify the temporary/permanent visa.  I may have worded that wrong.  I know I can bring it in and I remember 4 years being mentioned, will be in touch with them again soon.   So overwhelmed with info!!

My plan is also around August sometime.   San Miguel seems to be a great area with a lot to offer.  I'm torn with the beach!!

Hi,if I may suggest go to the following web site and ask the questions to Sonia Diaz, no cost.  http://www.soniadiaz.mx/home.html Quite kownledgeable person.

Buena suerte en su proyecto, GyC.

Thank you GyC,

Turns out I could drive it in with a temporary vis, but it would cost more to renew temporary visas and I would not be allowed to work either.  I will forego the truck.  :-(

Hi, I live in SMA and am originally from NY too .  SMA is getting more and more expensive plus so many more people are moving here. Every empty lot will be sold and a house will be built. Every day traffic is worse and taxis have gone up. Otherwise I love it.  Many expats choose to only have English speaking friends so they never really are a part of the town except as a consumer. In any case, you will make a decision. I'd suggest just coming for a short trip first before making a commitment to any place in Mexico. Good Luck to you. Ronnie

Thanks for the info Ronnie.  I recently read that turtles in the Yucatan are getting viruses and other illnesses from the extreme amount of human occupancy.  They are also losing their habitats as more land gets developed.  Seems there are too many humans in the world as this problem is spreading out all over the globe :-(  I would like to go rural, but don't know what kind of life that would be for my 11 year old.

Why you not move to can Tijuana, Cancun or San Miguel. I its better for you

Leener wrote:

Thanks for the info Ronnie.  I recently read that turtles in the Yucatan are getting viruses and other illnesses from the extreme amount of human occupancy.  They are also losing their habitats as more land gets developed.  Seems there are too many humans in the world as this problem is spreading out all over the globe :-(  I would like to go rural, but don't know what kind of life that would be for my 11 year old.

:offtopic: I would think pollution would be the main cause of species declines. But then there is the elimination of habitat , physical intrusion of mankind, and global climate change. It's not too many humans as much as what they do. Thousands of humans die every day for the same reasons life forms do. Mankind, and mindless corporate greed.

Back on topic

As for where to go, visiting is the only answer to that question. You can't just read about it, you must experience it. You are gathering a lot of information so you should be able to do that in an informed manner.

You're right about rural not being so good for your son.  Here we have 2 lovely Parks that children are always playing in, Juarez and Guadiana. We also have international schools, Waldorf and Montessori. He will need opportunities to make friends and connections. Children here are freer and happier and more spontaneous than in the states. Bear that in mind when you make your decision. He's too young to be isolated, esp if he needs to learn Spanish, and if he's an only child ( that's isolating enough).  I know because I'm one.   Mexican kids are better adjusted, no sulking or temper tantrums. They are socialized and included and just seem better behaved and happier. That would be so good for any child.   Ronnie

I don't have the means to travel to the north and south of Mexico on a visit.  I'll have to pick one of the areas temporarily and go from there.

Ronnie, I'm very interested in San Miguel, also Yukaton, a little inland from the beach to cut costs.  Ronnie, I will message you if that's OK.

It would probably be helpful to others if you defined what you consider wealthy, rural, poor etc. Also it is worth noting that many less wealthy cities also have parks. Yes, wealthy, SMA is rapidly becoming a Beverly hills kind of place.
Campeche would be more like what St. Petersburg Florida was, Cancun is becoming like San Diego was, Merida might be what Pasadena Ca, was. Etc

Leener, did you mean Yucatan ?

LEENER on above discussion you have vast of ideas what to do next for you and your little kid. hope you find a economical accommodation and find a batter school for your kid future. one more thing if you consult to any property agent hopefully he will find more cheaper or tells you where you travel to get best and affordable residence.
wish you a bright future ahead.

Thank you Ali. With each new information comes new concerns as well.  Not to mention I'm finding a lot of folks in the Facebook groups posing as helpful members are nothing more than opportunistic expats promoting a service.  Have to decifer between what is good information VS promotion.   They encourage newbies, act friendly, and send friend requests.  They are not looking for friends, they are looking for sales.  Some are even selling "coaching services", lol, and are networking with others selling something else as they all seem to be connected.  That's fine, but they should do that in a more appropriate and transparent forum.  Very distasteful in my opinion.  I've begun to think the ones that move around to "travel" the area aren't really residents at all.  I'm becoming more and more distrustful of the testimonials. What a world.

Leener wrote:

Thank you Ali. With each new information comes new concerns as well.  Not to mention I'm finding a lot of folks in the Facebook groups posing as helpful members are nothing more than opportunistic expats promoting a service.  Have to decifer between what is good information VS promotion.   They encourage newbies, act friendly, and send friend requests.  They are not looking for friends, they are looking for sales.  Some are even selling "coaching services", lol, and are networking with others selling something else as they all seem to be connected.  That's fine, but they should do that in a more appropriate and transparent forum.  Very distasteful in my opinion.  I've begun to think the ones that move around to travel aren't even really residents at all.  I'm becoming more and more distrustful of the testimonials. What a world.

Hi again Leener, you are quite right that often info comes with ads or service offers. Since my wife and I decided to do the moved and started our research we did noticed that. We, personnaly, aren't members of Facebook, Twitter or other equivalent.

But still, after verification, we did find good information, so, buena suerte en su proyecto, GyC.

Expat redirects those posting just for sales, so if you see one here just report it. As in everything else there are those trying to make money and sell things.

Leener...After these all coversation now you gathered some ideas what to do or not. Yes, you right there are so many fake people who tell you that you must purchase this and that but as I think you should consult to the Real Estate (property consultant) who is batter know the all conditions and guid you better than other which is best for you because you have a child and he needs a batter oppertunities for his bright future.
God Bless You

Hi leener, I am just all kind of concerned here. And I really hesitated to respond because I didn't want to discourage you . I am here because we are retired. I am also disabled. I spent many years in social services working with families. Please consider bringing your child here for awhile before you move permanently. The adjustment even for adults is difficult. The language barrier, the adjustment in culture can be difficult for some. You may both be happy and adjust beautifully! But I wish for both of you the best, and saying that just ask that you come and see  before committing money and sacrifices. One of the things I love here in Mexico is the no rush at all attitude. No rush , take your time, learn and then make your decisions. All the best to you.

Thank you, all is being considered.

Sounds like a great plan to me!  A wonderful adventure.  Since you homeschool and are temporarily storing things in US, you can really explore and take your time.  Wish I could travel and explore Mexico that way!  When I finally do decide where I think I want to settle, I'm thinking I may do a 6 month trial while subleasing my place in the US.  Just to make sure.   Orrrrr I may just take the plunge, it's just me so easier in that way.