Older Single Women Expats

Hi, my name is Kaayla and I have been contemplating retiring in the next 18 months when I am 60.  I am from Vancouver, love my city dearly but the cost of living here is getting unaffordable so I am looking at alternative overseas countries, Nicaragua being one of them.  I will be coming on my first trip with a good friend of mine who is almost 25 years younger than myself to see first hand Nicaragua in mid October.

I am wondering if there are any other single elderly ladies who live on their own, affordability vs having a roommate and safety.   Also, is the water potable or is it suggested to bring something like Nikken filter system?   Like any third world country, yes, always be aware of your surroundings and if going out a night, take a cab and preferably be with someone.  I am also going to work on my Spanish so that I can at least converse some.  I am not interesting in working but would definitely like to give back to the community and people of this country by volunteering.  Some ideas I had were helping in an animal rescue shelter, teaching English to anyone that wishes to learn (I would have to get my TOESL for this), not an issue....I have some basic HTML experience, so web pages I can help with too.   Currently I work in post-secondary education (administrative) and know how important education is. 

I am not sure about seeking permanent residency and am prepared to exit the country (for as long as needed) before the tourist visa expires and re-enter, pay fees, etc. to extend that visa.  I couldn't find any information on how often you could do this in one year.  I know that Panama has just changed their tourist laws as many ex-pats were living down their permanently.  They now have to exit for 30 days after being their for one year I believe.

I would love to chat with anyone who can provide me information on the above even meet with you as the plan is Managua, Grenada and maybe Corn Island (just for the snorkeling....).

Thank you so much for this website and I look forward to hearing from you.

Hi
I want to retire in Nicaragua in the next year. I would be very interested in hearing about your plans. I am a 64-year-old woman and a bit nervous about travelling on my own.
Shirley

Hi from Vancouver.  Yes making a serious relocation takes lots of research.  I am also looking Ecuador.  I will go there for 3  weeks in the spring 2018.  Factors that have to be considered are flights should you have to exit after your visas expire....Ecuador is more expensive to fly back to Vancouver.  I haven't firmed up my dates yet for Nicaragua but it will be the latter 2 weeks of October.  Where are you from Seclem?

I am from Edmonton Alberta I have been researching Nicaragua for several years and plan a trip next year. I haven't really considered any other locations.
Shirley

Hi ladies,

No problem here for single elder ladies - here are a lot of expats and also pensioners, especially from the US and Canada.

As too many people stayed here for several years, doing visa runs to CR, the migracion is now cutting down on this. Normally you can stay 3 months with a tourist visa, make a 3 days visa run to CR and live again here for another 3 months. The trend is the same as in Panama: They want people to apply for residency.

Here is the site of la Migracion for long-term visas/residency:
https://www.migob.gob.ni/migracion/tram … ermanente/

But you should come here for 2-3 months and see if and where you like it: Leon for ex. is very hot (especially in March/April), in the mountains it is cooler, but often foggy and rainy, Managua is not so recommendable (a horrible city), SDJS is a surfer's town (Sunday, Funday...).

Impossible to advise you - everyone must make his own experience and then decide if you like the country, the people, the mentality, the climate...

Hi Kaayla!

I have been dealing with the country and culture of Nicaragua for 21 years, and as far as safety goes, it is the safest country in Central America. As with any new country,or city for that matter, pay attention to your surroundings, and research the areas where you are planning to visit. I am currently serving as the U.S. Embassy Consular Warden for the Nindiri-Masaya area of Nicaragua. My responsibilities include assisting U.S, citizens in need of information, or assistance during times of emergency.

My wife and I are planning on opening an animal shelter here sometime around the first of next year, and are actively looking for potential volunteers to work with us in our new adventure.

If you have any questions regarding Nicaragua, please feel free to contact me at any time. I do not profess to have all the answers, but I will always attempt to answer your questions to the best of my ability. I am not only here for U.S. citizens, but for all people who share common interests and goals.

Have a great evening,
Nicawarden

I'm heading to Nica in early Feb on  a 6 day retirement and relocation tour.  Sounds like lots of moving around to various parts of the country and also meetings with expats, attorneys and property experts.

Don't forget the White Town's.  The climate there is between cool and hot.  I've been vacationing in Nica since 1978.  Love the people.  It's like growing up in the 50's & 60's in the USA.  People sit outside on their stoops every afternoon.  The love Americans.  I have stayed a few months in each area of Nica since retiring in 2013.  Except Leon area.  I stayed two weeks there in 2005. Too hot for me.  To run an A/C like we do in the US would cost you $150/month.
I just returned from Jenotega.  Great cool climate 3000' above sea level.  Quiet & very friendly town. We stayed 3 months in the center of town at a B&B for $300/month, breakfast included.  There are some really good restaurants there. And a really. Nice buffet rest.  While there I had an absesed tooth. The dentist had to pull it. She also found two cavities. To fill both and pull on cost me about 1600 cords (Cordobas) or about $55 USD.
MY FIRST 3 month trip was Granada.  A must!  This is the oldest Colonial Town in the Western Hemisphere.  For $400-$500/month you can stay in a Colonial B&B.  Much to do and see here.  Definitely take a horse drawn carriage tour.  While waiting to find that B&B stay at the Alhambra on the corner of the town square. Just opposite the Cathedral.  I love sitting on the porch and being waited on by men in tuxes and white gloves.  You will feel like a king or a queen. Love watching the activities in this Cent Park.  Mothers & father's pushing baby strollers. Street vendors. A throwback to my childhood growing up in New Orleans during the 50's. It's hot here but not as hot as Leon area.
I stayed a few months in Diriamba, in the White Towns of Carazo area.  It may be 1000-1200' above sea level.   Still cooler than Granada and only  about a 30 min ride.  Taxies are inexpensive.  Stay at Mi Bohio while in Dirambia.  The son runs the hotel while his mom runs the restaurant.  And such good food.  We ate there a couple times a week.  An 8 oz. Filet Mignon was $8.00 plus veggies and a salad.  Oh, bring your own salad dressing while down there.  They have vin & oil and something they call a House Dressing.  It's OK for once or twice but for us N. Americans, Canadians included, we all have a favorite salad dressing.  You probably won't find it in Nica. LOL.  If your a Catholic, the Bisilica in Diriamba is must to visit, like the Cathedral in Granada. 
I could go on and on but I've already taken up too much space. If you want to know more, like the English speaking Corn Islands or beaches of mainland Nica, just ask.

Hi TravelLady,
What company are you going through for the retirement/relocation tour? I would be very interested in your experience.
Dawn😊

I would like to spend, say a month, in a variety of towns/small cities in Nicaragua.  I've house and petsat for six years with excellent references, so if any ex-pats want to travel, I'm the person for you.  I am a retired  female Canadian teacher with police clearances done yearly.  Starting Nov/Dec 2018, I would be available for six-seven months.   If house/pet sitting doesn't  work out, then I would like small accommodation with internet, English television.  i would bike ride to places.  I am coming out of a divorce so my spending power has been restricted.  I am friendly, honest and fit.  I am also interesting in volunteering in social/nature projects as well as teaching English for free.   You can see my Facebook page under Pauline T Gallagher to get a glimpse of my character. I am a very flexible and fun person and I would entertain sharing accommodation or a room in someone's house.  Naturally, I would require references for the latter.   If a fellow retired female would like to share expenses or would enjoy my itinerary, I am open.  Lastly, if any ex-pat can give me a list of places to stay on such an itinerary, I would be most grateful.  I'll reward you with a bottle of wine or a dinner when I get there. LOL  Well, really this is 'lastly' can you give me ideas as to where I can advertise these ideas or contacts.  Fini, Finished, Terminado. Well almost -  I am learning Spanish. LOL

Hi Polly, sounds interesting! I have almost always have housemates, the last 2 for 5 months. They move out beginning this February.  I would like to travel from time to time, but have to pay a house and dog sitter. I have 2 adopted dogs who need some days to get acquainted to new people *they are very protective neutered males.

Are you in Nicaragua now? I am living in a nice house with 3 bedrooms in Leon and would like to share 1 or 2 of them from February onward. Looking forward to reading you!

Gosh, what you plan is a big endeavor.  I've been visiting Nica since 1978.  Sometimes for 3 to 6 months at a time.  I've pretty much stayed in every town down there.   I have come to the opinion that I prefer, for longer stays, cooler climates.  And this can be found in two locations. The White Towns or the area of Charizo. Spell check that.   And in the North West section of Nica.  Three towns come to mind up there.  Matagalpa. A big town.  Very hilly.  Kinda like San Francisco,CA.  Lotsa up and down streets but no trolly.   LOL.  Big market there. 
Also up there is Esteli.  This is cigar country.  And coffee.  The town is not as big as  Matagalpa and I really haven't spent more than two nights there.
My favorite town up there in Jenotega.  She sits in a bowl.   Surrounded by mountains.  This valley town should be called the Misty City.  Nights can get down to the 40s. With highs in lower 80s.  Average is 60s/70s.  Great weather.  Friendly people.  I stayed a few months at a B&B for $400 a month, breakfast included.  Food or restaurants here are few, but really good.  A nice classy steak house is one of my favorites. I ate there two or three times a week.  With the price of Filet Mignon and all the fixings, including desert at under $10.00 is a good positive on a retired income.  Like me! 

I will talk about the White Towns later.  I have to get my cook something up for dinner now.  A picante Marinera sauce over pasta.  I'm showing my Italian side.   LOL. 

If you would like to communicate directly, my email is [email protected].

Hi Salsera:
Thank you for replying.   I will not be in Nicaragua until late December or possibly the beginning of January 2019.  I would not charge to house/pet sit.  I am not sure what I would be paying you as a house mate, that is, if we were to reach an agreement.  Please keep in touch.  Thank you.

Hey Blue:
Thanks for replying.  There is nothing "blue" about you.  There is an Aussie song, "Hey True Blue" meaning a great person to have as a friend.   You certainly were very generous with your time and that makes you "True Blue' in my mind.  Thank you.   I will cut and paste these places.  I would love to contact you from time to time - I don't 'bug' people and appreciate their time.
Again, you're great.   The Italian side I really like.   My first teaching job in Toronto, Canada was in a predominantly Italian neighbourhood - grew to love italians.   I love their cooking.
Cheers
polly

The name Hey Blue comes from a 30+ year hobby.  I umpired College & some high school.
Players call umpires Blue.  LIke they call Football Refs Zibra.  Can you guess why?  Basketball Refs have the same nickname on the court. In the old days we wore powder blue shirts.  Hence the nick name Blue.  Hey Blue is what a player would call out to get your attention.  It could be to ask how many outs or mostly it's “Hey Blue, what's the count.  What's the count Blue?  A batter would ask me that if he forgot the ball & strike count.  If the pitcher is borderline quick pitching, legal if time hasn't been called by the ump,  And usually a pitcher has the advantage in this manner.  So, a batter may say Hey Blue, and ask the count, knowing his intention is to slow down the pitcher.  To try and take momentum away from the pitcher.  I know this is useless info for you but those who say baseball is boring and too slow really don't have a clue of what is going on between the lines or on the Diamond.  So now you know!  LOL.  I could go on and on boreing you, but won't.  Too bad you will miss the celebration of the Blessed Virgin Mary in December.  Which is called La Purisima. Pronounced Pur reese c ma  or something close to that.

Where did you play baseball or in other words which country did you live in before heading down to Nicarauga?  Curiosity, and not that it makes a difference, are you male or female?

Good afternoon, I know your post on here was in 2017 but I just joined and came across your post. I am also from Vancouver, BC., but left many years ago to the USA. Now my husband and I live in Nicaragua for the past 5 years. Let me know if we can be of any assistance. Best regards, Ghislaine

@Nicawarden

I am 55 years old and I speak Spanish. I have lived in different countries but I don't know much about Nicaragua. I plan on visiting there for a few months with my German shepherd. I would also love to help with animal rescue. Could you recommend some safe places for a single woman to stay?

Hello McClernan,

Welcome to expat.com!

I hope that you will find some advice soon!

If you have more questions, do not hesitate to create your own discussion on the Nicaragua forum.

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

@McClernan This isn't a specific resort/hotel, but you should check out Popoyo area, super friendly locals, beautiful beaches, and one of the safest parts of Nica.

Hi, I am a single female, late 60;s , very active, used to traveling/living on my own.  I am considering reitring somewhere safe, with nice weather (ie nothing over 80-ish degrees in the hottest months), inexpensive and near a larger city so I can enjoy any cultural amenities (museum, galleries, maybe classical music somewhere??)  I will probably rent something for a month or so but also interested in buying if possible at some point (not necessary if rents are cheap).  I would be interested in a mountain town as long as there is easy public transportation in and out.  I am a former Spanish professor/teacher so language is not a problem.  It would also be nice to find an ex-pat community that is not trendy and upscale like some of those in Costa Rica.  Any help/ideas would be appreciated.