Close

Older Single Women Expats

Hi, my name is Kaayla and I have been contemplating retiring in the next 18 months when I am 60.  I am from Vancouver, love my city dearly but the cost of living here is getting unaffordable so I am looking at alternative overseas countries, Nicaragua being one of them.  I will be coming on my first trip with a good friend of mine who is almost 25 years younger than myself to see first hand Nicaragua in mid October.

I am wondering if there are any other single elderly ladies who live on their own, affordability vs having a roommate and safety.   Also, is the water potable or is it suggested to bring something like Nikken filter system?   Like any third world country, yes, always be aware of your surroundings and if going out a night, take a cab and preferably be with someone.  I am also going to work on my Spanish so that I can at least converse some.  I am not interesting in working but would definitely like to give back to the community and people of this country by volunteering.  Some ideas I had were helping in an animal rescue shelter, teaching English to anyone that wishes to learn (I would have to get my TOESL for this), not an issue....I have some basic HTML experience, so web pages I can help with too.   Currently I work in post-secondary education (administrative) and know how important education is. 

I am not sure about seeking permanent residency and am prepared to exit the country (for as long as needed) before the tourist visa expires and re-enter, pay fees, etc. to extend that visa.  I couldn't find any information on how often you could do this in one year.  I know that Panama has just changed their tourist laws as many ex-pats were living down their permanently.  They now have to exit for 30 days after being their for one year I believe.

I would love to chat with anyone who can provide me information on the above even meet with you as the plan is Managua, Grenada and maybe Corn Island (just for the snorkeling....).

Thank you so much for this website and I look forward to hearing from you.

Hi
I want to retire in Nicaragua in the next year. I would be very interested in hearing about your plans. I am a 64-year-old woman and a bit nervous about travelling on my own.
Shirley

Hi from Vancouver.  Yes making a serious relocation takes lots of research.  I am also looking Ecuador.  I will go there for 3  weeks in the spring 2018.  Factors that have to be considered are flights should you have to exit after your visas expire....Ecuador is more expensive to fly back to Vancouver.  I haven't firmed up my dates yet for Nicaragua but it will be the latter 2 weeks of October.  Where are you from Seclem?

I am from Edmonton Alberta I have been researching Nicaragua for several years and plan a trip next year. I haven't really considered any other locations.
Shirley

Hi ladies,

No problem here for single elder ladies - here are a lot of expats and also pensioners, especially from the US and Canada.

As too many people stayed here for several years, doing visa runs to CR, the migracion is now cutting down on this. Normally you can stay 3 months with a tourist visa, make a 3 days visa run to CR and live again here for another 3 months. The trend is the same as in Panama: They want people to apply for residency.

Here is the site of la Migracion for long-term visas/residency:
https://www.migob.gob.ni/migracion/tram … ermanente/

But you should come here for 2-3 months and see if and where you like it: Leon for ex. is very hot (especially in March/April), in the mountains it is cooler, but often foggy and rainy, Managua is not so recommendable (a horrible city), SDJS is a surfer's town (Sunday, Funday...).

Impossible to advise you - everyone must make his own experience and then decide if you like the country, the people, the mentality, the climate...

Hi Kaayla!

I have been dealing with the country and culture of Nicaragua for 21 years, and as far as safety goes, it is the safest country in Central America. As with any new country,or city for that matter, pay attention to your surroundings, and research the areas where you are planning to visit. I am currently serving as the U.S. Embassy Consular Warden for the Nindiri-Masaya area of Nicaragua. My responsibilities include assisting U.S, citizens in need of information, or assistance during times of emergency.

My wife and I are planning on opening an animal shelter here sometime around the first of next year, and are actively looking for potential volunteers to work with us in our new adventure.

If you have any questions regarding Nicaragua, please feel free to contact me at any time. I do not profess to have all the answers, but I will always attempt to answer your questions to the best of my ability. I am not only here for U.S. citizens, but for all people who share common interests and goals.

Have a great evening,
Nicawarden

I'm heading to Nica in early Feb on  a 6 day retirement and relocation tour.  Sounds like lots of moving around to various parts of the country and also meetings with expats, attorneys and property experts.

Don’t forget the White Town’s.  The climate there is between cool and hot.  I’ve been vacationing in Nica since 1978.  Love the people.  It’s like growing up in the 50’s & 60’s in the USA.  People sit outside on their stoops every afternoon.  The love Americans.  I have stayed a few months in each area of Nica since retiring in 2013.  Except Leon area.  I stayed two weeks there in 2005. Too hot for me.  To run an A/C like we do in the US would cost you $150/month.
I just returned from Jenotega.  Great cool climate 3000’ above sea level.  Quiet & very friendly town. We stayed 3 months in the center of town at a B&B for $300/month, breakfast included.  There are some really good restaurants there. And a really. Nice buffet rest.  While there I had an absesed tooth. The dentist had to pull it. She also found two cavities. To fill both and pull on cost me about 1600 cords (Cordobas) or about $55 USD.
MY FIRST 3 month trip was Granada.  A must!  This is the oldest Colonial Town in the Western Hemisphere.  For $400-$500/month you can stay in a Colonial B&B.  Much to do and see here.  Definitely take a horse drawn carriage tour.  While waiting to find that B&B stay at the Alhambra on the corner of the town square. Just opposite the Cathedral.  I love sitting on the porch and being waited on by men in tuxes and white gloves.  You will feel like a king or a queen. Love watching the activities in this Cent Park.  Mothers & father’s pushing baby strollers. Street vendors. A throwback to my childhood growing up in New Orleans during the 50’s. It’s hot here but not as hot as Leon area.
I stayed a few months in Diriamba, in the White Towns of Carazo area.  It may be 1000-1200’ above sea level.   Still cooler than Granada and only  about a 30 min ride.  Taxies are inexpensive.  Stay at Mi Bohio while in Dirambia.  The son runs the hotel while his mom runs the restaurant.  And such good food.  We ate there a couple times a week.  An 8 oz. Filet Mignon was $8.00 plus veggies and a salad.  Oh, bring your own salad dressing while down there.  They have vin & oil and something they call a House Dressing.  It’s OK for once or twice but for us N. Americans, Canadians included, we all have a favorite salad dressing.  You probably won’t find it in Nica. LOL.  If your a Catholic, the Bisilica in Diriamba is must to visit, like the Cathedral in Granada. 
I could go on and on but I’ve already taken up too much space. If you want to know more, like the English speaking Corn Islands or beaches of mainland Nica, just ask.

Hi TravelLady,
What company are you going through for the retirement/relocation tour? I would be very interested in your experience.
Dawn😊

Expatriate health insurance in Nicaragua

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Nicaragua

Moving to Nicaragua

Find tips from professionals about moving to Nicaragua

Travel insurance in Nicaragua

Enjoy stress-free travel to Nicaragua