Moving/Visiting Nicaragua

So my family and I are planning on taking a 6 month trip to Nica to check it out before possibly moving there. we are running into mixed reactions.

One friend says it is amazing there that he will be retiring there. Yet another says, unless you have a HUGE amount of money you cant live there at all as everything is so expensive in the long run.

Yet everything we have read is saying that it isn't expensive and that the way of life it better. We want to get out of the rat race and just be a family, close to the beach and have a good life, to experience culture, instead of our kids growing up wondering what ipod came out.

We would love someone to talk about this matter with as we are very confused if this would be a good thing for us. This would be a huge jump for us but we are willing to do it.

If an Expat from Nica could contact me about moving there ect would be amazing.

We need information on things like
- Getting a business
- Renting (not vacation homes)
- San Juan del Sur as that is the area that we are thinking about moving/visiting

Having someone to talk about how they did it would be really great as things seem to be a bit over whelming.

Hi Samantha!

Your post has been moved to the Nicaragua forum for better visibility.
Hope the other members will be able to help you out.

Regards
Armand

I tried putting it into the other forum but for some reason either im blind or it magically disappeared i couldn't find that Nicaragua forum lol. So thank you.

If you want to eat food in packages that come from the US, Nicaragua is expensive. On the other hand, if you want to eat fresh papayas, mangos, ... it is dirt cheap. The same goes for pretty much anything else. You sound like you want a lifestyle change so Nicaragua should be a reasonable place to live.

I don't know much about San Juan del Sur but there are multiple people on NicaLiviing that live there and post regularly. One even owns the local newspaper for SJdS.

Note that spending six months in Nicaragua (or anywhere) before making a final decision is the right thing to do.