Moving to Nica

We have been offered a lucrative transfer to Nica by US based company expanding to off-shore site.  The questions we have are myriad but primary concern is safety, Nica attitude towards Americans, crime and the political climate.  We want to accept the offer but see opinions all over the board and do not know what to believe. Help....?

Hi and welcome on board jonandellen!

I hope other members will show up with some helpful advices soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Saying "Nicaragua" is a lot like saying "California". There is a big difference between Managua, Masaya, Granada, Estelí, ... For example, I don't like cities so I would not move to Managua but I also would not move to Los Angeles. I would say however, that Managua is less dangerous than Los Angeles.

Political stability is a non-issue. While Latinos talk more about this, Nicaragua is quite stable. The main difference is that in the US "how it works" tends to be reserved for a select few whereas everyone knows here.

Anti-usano attitudes are few and far between. You can, of course, encourage them by presenting yourself as being superior. But, if you treat Nicaraguans with respect, you will get respect back.

That's a good start. You might want to check out NicaLiving.com as there are lots of members living all over Nicaragua. i happen to live in the mountains near Estelí.

Americans are treated well here. We have never had any problems with the people.
The cops will pull you over but this can be cured with a c$ 100 bribe. Less than $ 5.00. There is a lot of theft but not too much violent crime. Very few Americans are assulted if you follow a few simple rules : don't flash a lot of money, wear fanny packs instead of carrying a purse, do not wear expensive jewerly on the streets, keep vehicles locked at all times, hire a fulltime maid and gardner but only with references (24 hour security at the house). Do not go into neighborhoods that do not look as though you need to be there.
The government want Americans here that have money. It helps their economy. The government doesn't bother anyone. Matter of fact, if someone in the government is bothering you report them to higher officials and it will be stopped. Just obey the laws and don't become the ugly american.
Two seasons, Hot and dry. Hot and wet.
Cost of living is very good here if you are concerned about that. You are not going to be able to run to the corner market for anything you want here. There are supermarkets that have alot of USA stuff.