Maternity Leave for Expat

Hello everyone

want to ask, what is the general policy for expat lady taking maternity leave in vietnam?   will they be paid or partially paid? Is it up to general policy of vietnam

Wouldnt it be up to your company to decide that.You dont say what type of company you are working for, as far as I know, if you have been paying tax and also Social Insurance then yes you are eligible for maternity leave.

im just asking general opinion of the expat ladies who works here.  Tax must be paid but social insurance is it required for expat to pay now? not until 2018right?

I know local women get 6 months full pay if they work for a foreign big comp,  I think the same for state employees

Combined with retiring at 50? Pretty easy life for the ladies here.

Unimaginable in Neocon diaaster Uk

It's 6 months fullpay.  I'm not sure if companies have to pay expats -I know some offer less, but good companies should give the full 6 months to anyone with a labour contract

As far as I know, foreign companies/corporations operating in Viet Nam must comply comprehensively with Vietnamese law. So in case of maternity law, expat ladies get the same treat as Vietnamese women , which means full 6 months off-work with full-paid salary.

Assuming you're working under a VN labour contract, you're entitled to 6 months' maternity leave (prenatal and postnatal) by law.

However, maternity pay is covered by Vietnam's social insurance regime - i.e., the employer doesn't simply shell out 6 months' pay for you. It is supposed to come out of your social insurance contributions. Furthermore, you are to have contributed to the social insurance fund at least 6 months within 12 months prior to childbirth.

However, as an expat, you currently are not entitled to enjoy this social insurance regime. It's currently only for locals. They say next, expats will be eligible to enjoy the regime, but it remains to be seen.

In sum, as you're a foreigner, by law, you won't be entitled to the maternity regime under law.