Obtaining a Northern Rhodesian (Zambian) Birth Certificate

I have a faded copy of my Northern Rhodesian birth certificate.  I need an original.  How on earth do I get one, when Zambia doesn't recognize Northern Rhodesia and I was born before Independence.  I know that there has to be others in the same situation as me.  Any info would be welcome.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Promoting your own services on the website is not allowed. Please register your services in the business directory.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

please help me..im trying to obtain my fathers death certificate.he died in zambia in 1964..ndola...as i was born there to..n/rhodesia.my father name is :guy leonard monckton..he lived and worked in zambia...also.i dont know if he was married to my mother..before my time..marriage cert..please please help me obtain above..and how much and who do i pay to get above.....as i was 7 when my dad died..in 1964...thank you.and look foreward to your urgent reply...again..thank you..philip e monckton..( should you require my address ill hand it to you..

My father died in ZAMBIA..1964 INDOLA..HE WAS..GUY LEONARD MONCKTON...im his.son as im trying to obtain his DEATH/MARRIGE CERT..THANK YOU PHILIP E MONCKTON..( FEES ETC ) COST AS.TO RCIEVE.ABOVE.

I was given the following email address:  [email protected] and have just mailed him as apparently he has access to the archives and assists with optaining N-Rhodesian birth certificates and records.

Fingers crossed.

Hi!

Kat here from Cape Town

I wanted to find out if you had any success with kunal zamnet zm (or any other way!) to get your birth certificate?

If so please email me on ***

Kat

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : do not post your personal contact details on the forum for your own security

Hi!

Did you have success getting certificate.. I also need one! Am struggling!

Kat Evans

I am having the same problem. Have you made any progress?

The registrar in Lusaka can get you the certificate. Having it legalised is the problem.
Let me know if you want their number.

I succeeded! Got my certificate couriered to me in Cape Town in approx 12-13 days after getting assistance from Karen ***

I thought it was too good to be true.. but certificate arrived!

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you

Hi there. I was reading this thread and curious about how you managed to get your birth certificate. I've been living in the U.K since I was a child. I've tried relentlessly to get a copy of my birth certificate from Lusaka for 8 years now but to no avail. Do you have any advice for me please? Best wishes

Hi Kat,

I am trying to get my fathers Unabridged birth certificate, he was born in Northern Rhodesia in 1951.

I see you were successful in getting yours, how do I go about getting my dads?

I would really appreciate any help.

My personal Email is a***

Kind Regards,
Kerry

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you

I was born in 1957 Northern Rhodesia and need to source my birth certificate, where do I start?

Hi Guys, please could you PM me the details of those who can help me obtain a Birth Certificate for my Grandfather born in Northern Rhodesia. thank you so much!

Lusaka Town Hall. Contact the Registrar of Births. Details are on the Internet. If not message me for their email and phone number. They recently 'renewed' mine.

Hi Kat

Who did you email to get your birth certificate i am trying to assist my dad with his ?

Hi I am wanting to obtain my Dad's Unabridged Birth certificate from Zambia (Northern Rhodesia. Can someone please assist with a contact. I have the original birth certificate with all the relevant information to trace it.

Looking forward to the assistance.

YES,THANK YOU,JUST WANTING TO KNOW WHERE,,WHEN DO I GO TO COLLECT..IN UK.
REGARDS
PHILIP MONCKTON.

Hi Everyone,

please could i ask you for your help.

Im also trying to obtain a lost birth certificate for my father and im seriously struggling.
my father was born in Northern Rhodesia and now resides in South Africa.

please could you assist me with the contact details you successfully got your birth certificate.

Thank you in advance

Thanks a Mil Paulmas, i will give it a go

The easiest way is to ask the Consul to help you but you can also simply mail or telephone the Town Hall in Lusaka, Registrar of Births in the Town Clerk's office. They are very helpful and can track your father's record of birth and (re) issue a certificate.
It becomes difficult when the paper has to be legalised as then ii will have to go to the embassy in Zambia of the country in which you reside or require a legal stamp. This is a consular service.
I will see if I can find the phone numbers but if you google Town Clerk Lusaka and take the time to patiently talk to them they know how to do this.
DHL can deliver the documents but payment can be tricky.
Again I suggest you talk to the South African Consul in Zambia and the Registrar of Births in Lusaka.
When I return to my office I will see if I still have the email addresses but they are on the Internet!
Good luck. Deb

Thank you very much for all the information Deb , i appreciate all your help!

Hi Kat,

Please can you kindly share with the procedure and contact points you used in obtaining a Northern Rhodesian (Zambian) Birth Certificate.

i'm urgently looking to get this paperwork, and have had no response to the original letter written to the Lusaka department (below) for more than a month now.

Registrar General of Births, Deaths & Marriages
P.O. Box 32311
LUSAKA, ZAMBIA
Tel: (260-1) 228197

Hi Kat,  please can you assist me. I too live in Cape town and am needing to get my fathers unabridged birth certificate from Zambia (Northern Rhodesia) I do have his original birth certificate (laminated though) but not his unabridged.  Any assistance would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Billy

I am trying assist my Mom get hers from 1959, have you had any success? Any pointers??

Regards John

I am trying to get my wife full birth certificate from 1957.
Can anyone point me in the right direction to start the process?
Thanks
Clive

Hi Kat
I am trying to obtain my wife's full birth certificate.
Please could you mail me the procedure you used to get yours.
Thanks in advance
Regards
Clive

Hi Kat

Please could you also assist me in getting my dad's unabridged birth certificate.  He was born in Livingston Northern Rhodesia.

I see you were successful in your application.

Thank you

Regards

Geoff

Good day

I already have my Zambian Birth Certificate as well as my original Baptismal Certificate issued when I was born in 1954. However I have now been asked to get my birth certificate legalised as part of moving to Europe. Does anyone have any experience with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Lusaka? What is the process, timing and cost to get a Zambian Birth Certificate legalised if you go there in person? Many thanks for any assitance!

Hi there

Please can you help me with the details for obtaining the birth certificate for Northern Rhodesia

Thank you

Hi Geoff

Had you had any luck am also needing assistance with the unabridged birth certificate for northern Rhodesia

Thanks Tarryn

Hi there

Please can you assist me with obtaining an unabridged birth certificate for northern Rhodesia I am really battling

Thank you
Tarryn

I have since established that to get my full Zambian birth certificate legalised I must first go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Lusaka. I called them on the phone and they were very helpful. I have to go into their office after 2pm on any day of the week and the process of legalising the certificate is free. The next step is to go to the Embassy of the country you wish to use the birth certificate for. In my case this is Portugal. There is no Portuguese Embassy in Zambia, so I then have to go to the Portuguese Embassy in Harare. Here they will legalise my birth certificate for use in Portugal. You have to make an appointment (I did this by email) and it costs USD18:00. The key thing is you have to go to an Embassy that holds on record the Zambian officials authorised to sign such a document. That is why its not possible to go to any of the Portuguese Embassies or Consulates in any other country - only the Portuguese Embassy in Harare has these authorised signatures. By the way I found out Netherlands also asks people to go to the Dutch Embassy in Harare but Germany has a full Embassy in Lusaka so you can do both steps there.

To get an unabridged birth certificate for Northern Rhodesia you have to follow this procedure https://www.zambiapretoria.net/birth-certificates/. It will not say Norther Rhodesia on the certificate it will say Zambia. I was born in 1954 but my Zambian birth certificate was only finally issued in 1967. Personally I would not send my original Baptismal certificate by post/courier to the Registrar in Lusaka. The risk of loss is too great. I see no option but to personally go to Zambia.

Clayton I suggest you call the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Lusaka. They are very helpful

Thank you so much for the reply

i am in the process of obtaining a copy of my Northern Rhodesian birth cetificate can you assist with any contact details

Yes please please send me their number. I have tried all online numbers and cannot get through on any of them.
Paul

These are the numbers I have for the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages. Tel: +260 211 236427 or +260 211 221128.

Do note there is no such thing as a Northern Rhodesian Birth Certificate. You will be issued a Zambian Birth Certificate. The procedure for how to do this can be obtained on their website. Personally I would not send anything to them by post. For example they ask for an affidavit plus your original Baptismal Certificate. I see no option but to go to Zambia unless you are willing to risk sending your original Baptismal Certificate. If you did this I would strongly suggest you make an apostilled copy before you send it and use a reputable courier with full tracking capability.

Paglaom,
Thanks for your advice i will pursue. I have a baptismal  certificate and an extract of my birth certificate. However the extractt does not specify my parents names and is apparantly not acceptable to the British authorities. I am trying to apply for a British passport and this is the only stumbling block. i have also been informed that the document should have been issued within a year of my birth, so its really a vault copy that i am looking for.

You have what you need. The extract does not specify parents names. The Zambian authorities will issue you a full birth certificate with your parents names on it that will be acceptable for a British Passport. I was born in 1954 but only got my full Zambian Birth certificate in 1967. I also have a British passport. Good luck!