Settling in Ontario?

Hi folks!

I've been living in Canada since 2004 and I got my Permanent Resident status. I can't believe this forum is empty! I mean, I know Canada can bit a bit cold but still...

I got pretty good at all these immigration paperworks after I completed mine and well, I'm getting to know Canada pretty well. So if you need any info about settling in Ontario or immigrating to Canada... go ahead!

Meanwhile, I'll be glad to chat with fellow Ontarian.

what is the average cost of living if you are living in toronto. i have a family of three more people including mrs and two girls 7 n 3. i ll be earning after tax around 3300/mth . is that good enough. im planning to rent sth around 1300/mth house.thanks.

i'm living here in Amherstburg,On,we just moved in here last aug 04 and so far i'm enjoying it.

I'm a Canadian, but was an expat and moved around a few times so know what's it like to settle into a new country (not easy!!!)

I recently helped a friend move locally and blogged about it - take a look, and if you have any questions - please let me know!  I know how important it is to get a good start.

http://mareadmare.blogspot.com/2009/01/ … anada.html

follow-up:
http://mareadmare.blogspot.com/2009/01/ … -deux.html

I have video clips too to give a little more insight ;-)
Enjoy!

BTW - Riz... a house in Toronto for 1300 a month???  How far outside of Toronto are you planning to live?

Found a house for a friend in Ottawa for 1600, but most were >1500.

Were you able to find something?

I have a house in TO that I rent for 1400, so you should be able to find that without a problem, especially with the downturn in the economy....

Hi there!

Im just waiting for my working permit here in China. I wanted to know hows life in Ontario..is it easy to find a job? please tell me something about Ontario, basically everything i need to know. Thanks

Zhuli wrote:

Hi folks!

I've been living in Canada since 2004 and I got my Permanent Resident status. I can't believe this forum is empty! I mean, I know Canada can bit a bit cold but still...

I got pretty good at all these immigration paperworks after I completed mine and well, I'm getting to know Canada pretty well. So if you need any info about settling in Ontario or immigrating to Canada... go ahead!

Meanwhile, I'll be glad to chat with fellow Ontarian.

Hi Zhuli

Ill be moving to Ontario maybe at the end of this year, I wanna know if its easy to find a job and a place to stay.. Please tell me everything i need to know about going to Ontario. I'm just waiting for my working permit here in china. I have a chinese gf who is coming with me and she is thinking of going to college in Ontario first. Thanks

Hi Nico_efan,

I was in Suzhou for many months - miss it a lot!
As to your question, it depends on your work.  From what I've heard too, your degree may not immediately be accepted - so try to find a job BEFORE coming over (if possible).

As for life and how to settle in to Canada, I've been helping someone with that lately and written about it here:
New to CANADA

You can look through the rest of the blog too, to see a bit of what it's like around here...

Anything specific you're looking for?

Hello everyone,
I was originally from Malaysia and came to Canada initially for university. That was 10 yrs ago and now I'm married to my Canadian husband. I received my PR about 1.5 yrs ago and am living in Windsor, Ontario. I used to work in Detroit but got laid off about 3 wks ago. It's very bad here in Michigan/Windsor area but if you are not depending on the auto industry, it's not too bad. In fact, you can easily buy a house around 250K that includes a pool.
Anyway, we are looking at moving to Toronto though. My hb's family is there. We hope to get jobs soon in the GTA and then when the real estate prices are low enough in the near future, we'll have enough saved for a downpayment.

Meanwhile, I was hoping to bring my parents over as Permanent Residents. I was just about to put my application in but I got laid-off. Now I will have to change the sponsor to my husband, but he doesn't earn a lot. It's still enough to sponsor them though. I'm gonna cross my fingers anyway.
Hey, it's the first day of spring today. This weekend is going to be nice!

I also keep a food blog, check it out if you have time: http://dinnerlately.wordpress.com

Hi, my husband and I are returning to canada in August and are looking to rent furnished 1 bedroom apartment in the southwest area of ontatio. I wonder do you knoe of any good websites I can look at. Thanking you
Denise Jamison:)

hi i`m living in the uk and i am looking to move to ontario. what process did you go through. did you use an agent or do it yourself. if so when did you go about finding a job. lots of info required.

Hi, my husband and I have just returned to Ontario from Ireland after 26 years, I have to say I have found a lot things a lot different and lots more expensive, but I still think I am going to love it again if I can find a nice place to live. I am finding it hard as going back to rental is hard. What we can afford on our budget to me is looking a bit tired and tacky or downtright awful, so after 2 weeks we are still living in hotels our money running down and i am getting worried. Beautiful if you can buy a new home as there are lovely areas. I can't beleive how hard it is to get something under the $1000 per month is this normal or is there any areas that might be affordable to us, we don't mind being 30-40 miles out of a city as long as it is a good size town. Please Help
Thanks
Denise Jamison

pondev wrote:

hi i`m living in the uk and i am looking to move to ontario. what process did you go through. did you use an agent or do it yourself. if so when did you go about finding a job. lots of info required.

You should have a look at the Citizenship and Immigration website (www.cic.gc.ca) where everything is explained ;-)

Half of the immigrants to Canada apply under the skilled worker category.

You do not need an immigration consultant to do your immigration paperwork: they don't improve your chance to be accepted and with a bit of patience, you will save yourself a lot of money.

Good luck!

Hi! I'm livin' in Ukraine, and I'm looking about migration. What's about musicians in Canada? I have musical education, and what a chance to find job? Can I give a private lessons? How much it costs to rent an apartment?

Hi, Were moving to Ontario some time this year not quite sure when, we seem to like London,Whats your thoughts. Not sure if you know London that well but were looking for a family community area with schools etc, We have two children so near schools is a must. Whats your thought on moving to Ontario and do you have any regrets ?
Paul and Karen

[email protected] wrote:

Hi, my husband and I are returning to canada in August and are looking to rent furnished 1 bedroom apartment in the southwest area of ontatio. I wonder do you knoe of any good websites I can look at. Thanking you
Denise Jamison:)

I have a good friend Erkan there, he can help anyone who would like to settle to GTA.

He is good and reliable person.

Mr.Erkan Sen Homelife/Landmark Realty
75 The Donway West Suite: 708
Toronto On M3C2E9
Tel: 416-854-1881
esen hotmail.com

pondev wrote:

If you are British is hard to get PR.there.

List your questions item by item.

Good luck.

Creamandbrowns wrote:

Hi, Were moving to Ontario some time this year not quite sure when, we seem to like London,Whats your thoughts. Not sure if you know London that well but were looking for a family community area with schools etc, We have two children so near schools is a must. Whats your thought on moving to Ontario and do you have any regrets ?
Paul and Karen

Best place for you to move is London-Ontario.

350.000 population university town.

Two hours driving from Toronto.

White Hills area will be perfect for kids.

I have been living there since 1991.

If you have any more questions wellcome.

claudette wrote:

Hi! I'm livin' in Ukraine, and I'm looking about migration. What's about musicians in Canada? I have musical education, and what a chance to find job? Can I give a private lessons? How much it costs to rent an apartment?

Hi Claudette,

Yes you can give private lessons.

If you are educated in Russia, you must be good.

I have only one experience from my neighbor there, she was refusing many kids because she has no time for new students.(Piano)

If you are single, it's easy to find a room 450-600 CAD a month in London-Ontario at the beginning.

Try to communicate Russian Community there through Google.

I am trying to move to Ontario city or town with good prospect of growth.  Is there any town or city in Ontario where they are building new Walmart. 

I been trying to locate that for a while, any help will be appreciated.  I am currently living in mid east.

Hello yazi.malik!

I think that you are a bit off-topic, Am I right? ;)

Please concentrate on the initial discussion.

Thank you,
Harmonie.