Planning to live in Ontario

Hi everybody,

I'm Spyros and I'm brazillian.

I've been in Canada once, for about 6 months, when I was just 5 y/o and today (25 years later) I'm planning to go back. This time for good.

I'm a soon-to-be married with an also brazillian girl and we are planning to live in Ontario.

I've been researching a lot about Canada's immigration process lately and, so far, I've figured out that I need to apply for IELTS, obtain an Educational Credential Assessment and, of course, apply for the Entry Express.
Everybody says that we better have a job offer or find a post-graduate course (we are both biologists) in ther to have a better chance.

Am I missing something important in the process?
Is there anything else we can have to improve our chances?

Thank you in advance for the answers.

Best Regards
Spyros

Short of having a job offer, you may proceed with applying for the PR first. Obviously having a job offer on hand would greatly improve your chances. But it is a chicken and egg situation, some jobs wouldn't be offered to non-Canadian PR or non-Canadian but without a job offer how else would one boost one's application. Anyhow, applying for a Canadian PR doesn't require a job offer on hand.

Thanks for the answer Philip.

You've described the situation very neatly.
PR with an job offer, but (almost) no job offer without PR.

I'm actually thinking about a post-graduation course in a college, then extend my time with a work permit.
Some say it's the safer way to find a job and, later, apply for PR, already living in Canada.

What do you say?

Yes indeed. Most describe it (the study route) as the safest way. Of course it's also consumes $ upfront if you haven't secured a TA/RA or a scholarship or some kind of stipend. Anyhow, short of these things, you could apply for an off-campus work permit which allows you to work a max of 20hrs/wk outside of campus. If you do find work with the campus, you need not apply for that permit and that'll save a few hundred bucks.

Study route has an expiration on it. It gets harder mentally for the individual to go through this route the older they get - with more responsibilities and also "face". But usually folks mid 20s to mid 30s still do it. Once you get pass the mid 30s, it gets harder. How I know this? I am speaking from experience. But, if you're persuing an academic career, then I suppose age wouldn't matter since you're in the place you want to be. The only thing then is how and how quick can you get yourself to a point where you make loads of $ and also job security - typically that only happens once you become a professor.

Thanks again for the tips Philip.

I'm not really looking for an academic carrer. Actually, I've been working with environmental protection and emergency response since college but I wouldn't refuse an offer to teach as well.

Anyway, we're already looking for some post-graduation courses to apply.
And of course, start saving some cash from now on.

I'll post any news or questions during the process and hope to see you soon in canada =)

Hey Spyros! I'm brazilian too and I'm in the same situation of yours.

My plan is to immigrate by Express Entry, I'm finishing my master's degree this year (still in Brazil) and studying English to apply next year.

To improve your chances on Express Entry you can try to get a better score on IELTS and to be more qualified, maybe doing a postgraduate program (I don't know if you are only graduate).

The score for the last draw was only 459 points, if you have a good english (CLB 9), a postgraduate program and 4 years of work experience, you can easily reach this score :)

I think you should study there only if your score on Express Entry don't reach 400 points!

Good luck!

SpyrosSB wrote:

Thanks again for the tips Philip.

I'm not really looking for an academic carrer. Actually, I've been working with environmental protection and emergency response since college but I wouldn't refuse an offer to teach as well.

Anyway, we're already looking for some post-graduation courses to apply.
And of course, start saving some cash from now on.

I'll post any news or questions during the process and hope to see you soon in canada =)

Its a pleasure. All the best to you. If you're  in Halifax, NS, do give me a buzz...

TheDarkOne wrote:

Hey Spyros! I'm brazilian too and I'm in the same situation of yours.

My plan is to immigrate by Express Entry, I'm finishing my master's degree this year (still in Brazil) and studying English to apply next year.

To improve your chances on Express Entry you can try to get a better score on IELTS and to be more qualified, maybe doing a postgraduate program (I don't know if you are only graduate).

The score for the last draw was only 459 points, if you have a good english (CLB 9), a postgraduate program and 4 years of work experience, you can easily reach this score :)

I think you should study there only if your score on Express Entry don't reach 400 points!

Good luck!

Hey Darky,
Good to know you. We can exchange our progress and motivate each other in the process.

I've made an unofficial evaluation of my chances and the score was 429.
Haven't postgraduate, but I've been working in my field of experience since graduation (2006. Damn, I'm old...) I think it helps a little since the course was 4+ years.

I'm really not wiling to spend more years in a PG course in Brazil. It don't worth the time or the money invested...

My english is good. I wouldn't say perfect, but I'm comfortable with it.

My fear lies in, if apply trhought Entry Express only, I would miss about 600 points for not having a valid job offer. If, instead, I take the study abroad path, it will give me an opportunity to seek for a part-time job and in a year or two, apply for PR an reach circa 1000pts.
Well, in the best case. Is a long shot, but it's what I'm focused for now.

Nevertheless, thanks for sharing all this info.
We'll keep in touch.