How to bring your car to the USA

Hello everybody,

If you exported your car to the USA, were there any formalities that needed to be completed beforehand? What were they?

What is the best way to export your car? Is there a limit on the number of vehicles, or perhaps the age of the vehicle? Are there limits on emissions or emission controls in the USA?

What are the expected costs of exporting a car? In your opinion, is it worth it?

Once you arrived in the USA, what were the applicable taxes? What was the customs process like?

How do you go about registering an imported car in the USA?

Is it best to buy a car once you have arrived or to bring your car with you, in your opinion?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Bhavna

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import- … orting-car

This will give you the basics. Contact your local DMV to get specifics for registration and get an insurance quote. Look into maintenance and repair.

Hi Twostep,

Thank you for the link. Definitely useful  :)

Bhavna

Hello Bhavna.
We did not bring our car to the USA. We calculated its better to sell your car and buy another one locally. The US automotive market is very competitive and you can find cars for any budget! Do not hesitate to do this. We lived in the area with good transport connection. So for the first time we rented a car from interprise just for the weekend- Friday-Monday just for 8 dollars totall. plus Tax. We came around talking test drives and exploring the market. For us it took 6 months.
Hope it's helps.
Best,Yana

Hi bhavna,
                    Hope u r doing good. unless u have sentimental value attached to your car, it is not worth shipping your car
I mean the car market is USA is very competitive and affordable
I came to Usa as a student and it was pretty simple to get my driver's license and also very affordable to own and maintain a car
First they give u a temporary instruction permit known as TIP ( abbreviation ) and then u can be eligible to apply for a permanent driver's license after 15 days of holding a tip
So good luck bhavna and enjoy Usa
It is a unique and one of a kind country
Please reply if u got my message

Hi Yana and Detroit_lions,

thank you very much for your feedbacks.

all the best,
Bhavna

twostep wrote:

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car

This will give you the basics. Contact your local DMV to get specifics for registration and get an insurance quote. Look into maintenance and repair.

Thanks for sharing, this is great :)

A I see, the right answer is already placed. If you want to know how much your insurance might be, contact an INDEPENDENT agent from the state you count to establish a residence. Because of the lake of driving history, only a limited number of companies will be able to offer you insurance. Some of them are good and reliable. I am in Illinois and can help you with information for my state.
Hope, it was helpful.

I would go with the others who wrote that buying either a used or a new car in the US is definitely a financially more optimal decision.

You can buy a car in the USA cheaper than you bring your own ...

Its a competitive car market in USA, you can find cars at any budget, do some research, buying a car locally can turn out to be a cheaper and a better option.

Hi

Buying cars is very easy. One could go to the dealership and negotiate the price and walk out and drive. This could be somewhat expensive, since car salesman are like hawks.
You may try Carvana,  Ebay, Craigs list and get a used high mileage car under 2000 grand , Once you get settle down you could go to the next level.