Buying a car in the USA

Hi,

To be able to move in the USA, a lot of expatriates think of buying a car, whether new or second-hand.

What are the formalities to buy a vehicle in the USA: car registration, insurance, etc.?

What are the relevant authorities or organizations to contact?

How long does it take and what are the associated costs?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Kenjee

As far as I know, you can actually buy a car without a driver's licence, but of course it would be illegal to drive it out of the dealership yourself if you don't have one.

If you buy for a dealer, they can handle the registration for you. Some might be able to help with the insurance as well, but you'd be better off if you sourced it yourself.

If you buy from a private citizen, you and the seller will need to handle the registration at a DMV (Dept of Motor Vehicles) to transfer the title and change the registration. You will need to get your own insurance.

All can be done in a few hours.

Costs depends on which state you are in.

Hi,

It's easy to get a driver's license in Arizona, unlike Singapore which takes my sis-in law 7 attemps and one of my brothers twice. If you already know how to drive, just go to the MVD and sit for the written test and if you are comfortable with taking the practical without classes, go for it.
I miss my life in Singapore...not having to drive and the food. They are the BEST!!!

You can't buy and register a car without a valid licence for that state. I tried that when I arrived in Pennsylvania and my wife (who has a valid Pennsylvania licence) had to register ownership of the car, ie. take the title.
You'll need to visit a local auto notary to arrange registration and new licence plates and they're easy to find online. Insurance can be arranged quickly and easily online, but again you will need a valid state driver's licence for this and foreign licences aren't accepted.

How about for leases? Will they accept international drivers licenses?

zandybee wrote:

How about for leases? Will they accept international drivers licenses?

Not in PA.