Overstay due to misleading information of the Brazilian Consulate

Hi everyone

Let me briefly introduce you to my rather unfortunate situation:
I am a Swiss citizen, currently staying here in Brazil for a period of a little less than six months. While still at home, the Brazilian Consulate in Zurich informed me that Swiss citizens are allowed to stay in Brazil as a tourist for up to 90 days, with the option of extending this time by another 90 days. I do have this information from the Consulate in written form as it was (and still is) published on their official website as well.
So, I got here fully equipped with a travel insurance, financial support from people I know in Brazil, a place to stay and a booked return flight. Two days ago I went by the Policia Federal to extend my tourist visa - only that they told me that this system (for Switzerland) changed more than a year ago!!

Due to the misleading and absolutely wrong information of the Consulate in Zurich, I am now here in Brazil - my tourist status expires in 2 weeks and after that, I would be staying here illegally for another 75 days.

Leaving the country to apply for a student visa and booking a course here is super expensive - as is booking another flight back home (as I cannot change my original return flight). I am quite desperate, as I have gotten into this situation involuntarily...

What shall I do? Stay illegally? And is it still the case that overstayers simply pay the applicable fine or has the law changed in any way?

Thank you in advance!

Perhaps you could just pop to the nearest (cheapest flight) country for a couple of days then re-enter on a new tourist visa.
As long as you're in compliance with your visa's term, you might well be able to do that. Check out the possibility and, if acceptable, give it a go.

Thanks for your suggestion, unfortunately, this won't work as the PF informed me that I can only stay in Brazil up to 90 days every 180 days...

I think by now I understand the legal situation - the only problem is that the Brazilian Consulate gave me wrong information and now I have the choice between either leaving Brazil and paying another flight or staying illegally...

I don't know what your airline is but you can usually cancel a flight and book it for another time. They will charge you a fee. Call the airline and tell them your dilemma maybe they can advise you.

Jim