Self sufficiency residency requirements?

Hello,

My wife (US citizen) and I (British citizen) teach English online as independent contractors for Chinese companies. We would like to base ourselves in Romania to do this, and it is our understanding that I can apply for temporary residency on the basis of self-sufficiency and then my wife can apply as my spouse.

We are a little confused about some of the residency requirements, specifically proving adequate income. Has anybody on this forum successfully applied for residency on this basis before? If so what did you use to meet this requirement? Will we have to open a Romanian bank account? If so, have you found that the process of opening a bank account as a non-resident is easier/quicker at any particular bank?

Thanks in advance for any help,

MJ

Hey there,

Nice you want to live in Romania. Me and my boyfriend (both from the Netherlands) live here since 9 months, also without a job.
We needed to prove we had a Romanian bankaccount with 200 lei on it. We found it quite a challenge to find a bank where we could open an account without being a resident yet. However, banca transylvania was the only one who could help us, so that's what we did.
They told us there we should make transfers to the account for 3 months, with a total amount of 2000 euros, to prove that the account was being used. We ignored this, put just 200 lei on it, asked for an extras de cont (a bank statement) and went with that to the place to get the certificat de inregistrare. After we got the certificat we changed our address at the bank and now everything is fine.

What I would do if I were you, just go the place where you have to arrange the certificat, and ask them what exactly you need. We are living in Hunedoara area and had to go to Deva and were lucky to find an English speaking lady who explained us everything.

If you want more info, please ask!

Iris

Thank you! This is exactly the information that we needed. I will try Banca Transilvania immediately. It sounds like you are in a very similar situation to us so if you don't mind I may ask more questions in the future. Thanks again!

You're welcome! I also just realized you need an health insurance. We still have our Dutch insurance which is also an European Health insurance card. That was important. (with EHIC logo on the back)
If you don't have that, you need to get a private Romanian insurance first. I don't know how and how much that costs since it was not needed for us.

Can I ask what you will do in Romania, next to the English teaching? Where will you live?

irisgales wrote:

You're welcome! I also just realized you need an health insurance. We still have our Dutch insurance which is also an European Health insurance card. That was important. (with EHIC logo on the back)
If you don't have that, you need to get a private Romanian insurance first. I don't know how and how much that costs since it was not needed for us.

Can I ask what you will do in Romania, next to the English teaching? Where will you live?

Private health insurance is not needed!  He can get state medical insurance for much less to meet the requirements.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

We're both English & Banca Transilvania is excellent. The online banking has an English option & the website allows English also. We are self-sufficient & just had to prove we had a few thousand lei to register. Don't get the 'extras de conte' until just before you go to immigration. It's just the bank statement issued over the counter with the bank's stamp on. We just used our E111 health card to prove insurance. You will need proof of address, rental agreement or purchase details. Good luck. Sue

Robin & Sue wrote:

We just used our E111 health card

No longer called that, it's now referred as the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

My residency has been approved, thanks again for all your help. I had no luck at Banca Transilvania but eventually BCR allowed me to open an account. I used my EHIC card for the insurance requirement. We are now looking at insurance options for my wife so that she can apply on the basis of family reunification (she's non-EU).

Iris, we're living in Pantelimon, a suburb of Bucharest. The online teaching provides us with enough income so we are just looking forward to staying in one place for a while as we have been on the move for the last 6 months. Previously we lived in Korea, so it is nice to be based in Europe for a change.

Romaniac, you mentioned state medical insurance. Is that available for Americans?

State health insurance is available to any resident