Recognition of foreign marriage in Rio by Brazilian Authorities?

Hi there,

I recently got married with a Brazilian woman in Geneva, Switzerland.

She lives in Rio and I will soon join her there.

So far we only have the Swiss wedding certificate and I understand - in order to be able to live and work permanently in Brazil - that we will have to get this certificate recognised in Brazil (i.e. to register our wedding with the Brazilian Authorities).

The problem is the following:
We cannot find anywhere the address, phone number (and website) of the "cartório" where we would need to go in order to register the document (which is already translated together with my certificate of birth) in Portuguese by a "tradutor juramentado").

Can anyone help? Could anyone explain how it works?

(apologies if an answer to my question already exists in this forum but would really appreciate your help)

Thank you

Bernard

Bernard
.  If you are currently in Geneva where you were married take the original marriage certificate to the Brasilian Consulate for Geneva and have it authenticated.
I am a U.S. citizen, my Brasilian wife and I married in Las Vegas afterwards she returned to Rio. I had our marriage certificate authenticated at the consulate in Los Angeles before joining her in Rio.
We registered the marriage at the main cartorio in Centro Rio.
I think it was about 10 weeks from arrival until I received my RNE.
Hope this helps,
David

Hi David,

I will make sure to have the wedding certificate authenticated before going to Rio.

However do you have the exact address and details of this central office in the Center of Rio?

I find it very hard (even my Brazilian wife) to find the details of this 1ro oficio (or 1ro cartório) where we will need to register the wedding.

I have found the following website but not sure if this is the correct entity that is empowered to recognise our marriage:

http://1oficio.com.br

Tks

Bernard

CERTIDÃO DE CASAMENTO
REGISTRO CIVIL DAS PESSOAS NATURAIS
This document was completed at
1 RCPN e TABELIONATO DA CAPITAL - RJ
Praia da Olaria, 155 - Cocota, Rio de Janeiro  - RJ
Brasil  - CEP. 21910-295
Tefax:(21)3386-1504

Transcrição de casamento
Requerimento datado  e assinado, com firma reconhecida  deum dos cônjuges ou por seu procurador, dirigido ao official do 1 RCPN-RJ solicitando a transcrição  de casamento;
Certidão de casamento  emitida peço consulado ou certidão estrangeira de casamento legalizada por autoridade consular Brasileira, traduzida por um tradutor juramentado  publico e posteriormente registrada no cartório de títulos e documentos - Rua do Carmo 57 - Centro
Certidão  de Nascimento dos cônjuges  Brasileiro ou certidão de casamento anterior com prova de sua dissolução
Comprovante de residência do MUNICÍPIO DO RIO DE JANEIRO  em nome de um cônjuges. Caso os requerentes não possuam este comprovante, a pessoa onde ele estiver hospedado deverá  fazer uma declaração de residência com firma reconhecida do proprietário, amigo ou familiar. Anexar uma conta de aqua, luz, telefone ou extrato bancário.
Na eventual existência de pacto antenupcial, lavrado perante autoridade estrangeira competente, deve ser providenciado o seu registro em cartório registro de títulos e documentos no Brasil, previamente legalizado por autoridade consular Brasileira e traduzido por tradutor público juramentado.
ENDEREÇOS:
Serventia: Praia da Olaria, 155-Cocota-Ilha do Governador
TEL: 3386-1504
Posto de Atendimento: Rua da Assembléia, 10/1509-Centro
TEL: 2531-3069 (TEL/FAX) SITE: www.cartorioiha.com.br
PROCESSO +CETIDAO =R$ 345,50
Bernard this information is two years old but I hope it helps

Tks a lot, David.

Will check with this office in the center of Rio

BR,

Bernard