Considering a move to Nepal

Hi!

My husband and I are considering a move to Kathmandu for a couple years. My husband's job will be the reason for the move since they are offering him a contract to work in Nepal for 2 years. We are Indian nationals and New Zealand residents. I have the following queries and any thoughts are welcome. Thank you!

1. How do you find life in Nepal as an expat? What are the positives that work for you?
2. Whats the cost of living like? Details re: renting a house, utilities etc will be very helpful
3. I have heard power cuts are frequent...how do people manage?
4. We want to bring our two dogs with us...anyone have this experience...whats it been like?
5. Anyone try adoption in Nepal while living there as an expat? (we are in the process of adopting here in NZ and would like to have an understanding of adoption in Nepal as an expat if anyone has such an experience. We know about the current issues with adoption in Nepal but any specific information would be very helpful!
6. I am a social worker and would like to continue to work and volunteer. Any leads?
7. Can Indian nationals work in Nepal without a visa/permit?

We need to make this decision rather quickly so please respond immediately! Thank you very much!

Cheers!
AK

1. How do you find life in Nepal as an expat? What are the positives that work for you? 
I have found life here really wonderful. I don't mind roughing it a bit with the problem with electricity that can be pretty annoying if you don't just let go and accept it. That is really the only down side, but you can get an inverter to keep the lights on for longer. You can also bring solar lights with you. I heard of a solar lamp for $60 that was being offered here. I think you can do better by bringing these things. Many things are available here but you really have to look for them. The positives are how wonderful the people are and how hopeful the future is. It is getting better every day. Other positives are the mild weather in KTM, the low cost of living, and of course the wonderful people.  The people are really warm and friendly. I have never seen such hospitality anywhere.

2. Whats the cost of living like? Details re: renting a house, utilities etc will be very helpful.
I am renting a lovely 2 bedroom apartment for $200 US. It is at the edge of Thamel, which is considered a very high rent area. You can find something for about have that price if you want to live outside the downtown area. Food is higher than India because some is imported, but still reasonable. If you go out to eat you can expect to pay about 250 rupees for a dinner with meat, under 200 without. Tailor made women's clothes, including fabric, can cost from under $20 USD. My income is only $1,000 but it is plenty to live on for one person.

3. I have heard power cuts are frequent...how do people manage?
You can bring an inverter or buy one here. They cost about 4,000 rupees plus the battery. A lot of people have them so you can have lights for most of the day.  One thing I would suggest is buying a reverse osmosis home water filtration system from home if they are available there. I bought one in the US at Lowe's Hardware for well under $200. I wish I could have brought one.
4. We want to bring our two dogs with us...anyone have this experience...whats it been like?
Some people have dogs. Strays aren't nearly as bad as in India. I don't have a dog so I can't help you on this. I don't think they would be any more trouble than in NZ.
5. Anyone try adoption in Nepal while living there as an expat? (we are in the process of adopting here in NZ and would like to have an understanding of adoption in Nepal as an expat if anyone has such an experience. We know about the current issues with adoption in Nepal but any specific information would be very helpful!
I don't know about this topic at all. Sorry.
6. I am a social worker and would like to continue to work and volunteer. Any leads?
If you want to sit down with someone to help you select a volunteer placement you can call a good friend of mine that has a tour agency and does ‘social tourism.' He can help you decide and place you with a good NGO. He also makes a donation for you when you allow him to help place you. His name is Sanjeeb at Omega Treks: 9841244327
7. Can Indian nationals work in Nepal without a visa/permit? Yes, if you would like to talk with Sanjeeb about it please feel free to call him. He says you may need a paper but it is only a formality, no problem.
Omega Treks and Expedition can also book your travel and help you get settled in whatever way they can. I hope this helps you. Also, please keep in touch and maybe we can have a tea when you arrive. There are many expats here. You will absolutely love it!
Amanda
981-325-8509

Hi Amanda

Thank you so much for your detailed reply...we will know more about the move this week (from my husband's company) so will decide to ring Sanjeeb after we have more information.

Would love to have tea with you..if/when we make the move...I will stay in touch.

Thanks much!
Have a great week!
Ami

You are absolutely going to love it here. I will help you to get settled if you need any help, which you will since there are no addresses or road signs.

I left the States in hopes of doing some humanitarian work in Africa but the project fell apart and I ended up here. I made it as far as Europe before my savings ran out. So I'm here on my monthly retirement stipend and doing fine. I decided that helping the economy by creating some jobs and businesses would be just as much fun. It is.

I am really looking forward to meeting you.

Amanda

Hey Amanda

Major set back in our plans...NZ will not allow us to import our dogs back with us to NZ from Nepal!

This sucks big time!
ERRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHH
Ami

So sorry to hear about your pet issue. Hope things work out somehow. Do let me know how things work out for you.

Amanda