Close

Pet import

Help, trying to bring my pets to nepal.  Pet shipper has made last minute adage “can’t fly pets from Doha to nepal”... coming from the us, how can I safely ship my pets????

Don't know about Doha, but I have a pet and over the years, I have always flown in and out of Kathmandu - to and from Europe - using pet friendly airlines. Not only that but because my pet and pet carrier together weighed less than 10 kilos, I have always been able to fly, travelling  with my pet in-Cabin. Personally, I would never place my 4kg pet in the hold, although it is obvious that big dogs (over 10kgs) have to go into that hold and be treated like vulgar freight, no other way, as a matter of worldwide airline policy. (I talk about dogs here, but similar remarks would apply to cats and small birds) It also goes without saying that your pet must have all the necessary vaccinations, pet passport if from the E.U.,  embedded microchip number, vet's certificates, etc. But once you reach TIA airport, I think you'll find that they don't even check your pet's documents. Over a decade or not, I know they never checked mine!
Turning to choice of carrier, I think you will find that none of the arab airlines accept dogs, any more than the hindu/indian ones and that includes Air India, Gulf and Qatar of course. No offense, but  I guess dogs are not in their culture.
So the choice is limited and in your place, first thing I would do would be to systematically check all the airlines that fly from Doha to Kathmandu. I use Turkish Airlines to fly in and out of Kathmandu, and Turkish is pet friendly (pet of less than 10kgs, in-cabin authorized) but I don't know whether they do the liaison with Doha? but if you could go via Istambul, no problem. Up until two years ago, Thai Airlines used to accept dogs in cabin, but they changed their airline policy. Aso see if you can go from Doha to Kathmandu on a european airline? All european airlines are pet friendly. And if the pet is over 10 kgs, naturally it has to go into the hold. No other choice.
I remember reading that if you have a falcon, you can take that falcon in cabin with you on an arab airline, but not a "vulgar" dog. Dogs noses are dirty, I was once told by a muslim shopkeeper in Kathmandu, who asked me to step out of his shop and not come back....Different culture and for them, and perhaps religious beliefs too. So falcon yes...but a canary...probably NOT, in-cabin anyway.
Once in Nepal, I think you'll find that nepali people increasingly now tolerate dogs but from my experience, I can't say that the majority of the people here are that pet-friendly either - they are not. Nowadays, they increasingly utilize dogs to guard their property, but as pets, not really. As a general rule, dogs in Nepal are meant to live outside, and not inside homes.  Attitudes are changing, but mighty slow.

Yeah, I agree. I took my pet (dog) to countries like Burma and Thailand and never had any problem. I could visit any of the 3500 temples of Bago in Burma in the company of my canine, and no buddhist monk there would ever object. They like canines in Burma. Same with any of my visits to Wats in Thailand. I could visit any temple there and no one ever stopped me. But try to take your dog inside the holy compound of Pashupatinath .....see what happens!! They don't even allow westerners inside their temples there....(have to be Hindu, to enter)  so dogs, forget it!! They may have "dogs' day " in Nepal every year, but that may be about the one and only day out of 365 diems that they are tolerated. From what I have seen here, cars won't even slow down in the street if they see a dog crossing their path. Why brake? They are just as apt to run it over, couldn't care less about the life of street dogs. In the street, it is common to see people especially children kicking a dog. Not kind to animals at all, from everything I have observed in this country over a period of many years. As for pets, they are still too new to them, and people here have yet to come to come to terms with the idea that "dogs are man's best friend". These low creatures are all too foreign to them!! It's correct to say that dogs in Nepal are ok to guard property and ok to spend their lives outside, but the extent of it. In Nepal, it is rare to see a dog inside a nepali person's living room. Dogs are most apt to be kept outside and help on a chain for hours and hours on end. In this area, nepalis have a long way to come and a lot to learn. Dogs are not in this predominantly hindu culture (making up more than 80% of Nepals' population)

Expatriate health insurance in Nepal

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Nepal

Moving to Nepal

Find tips from professionals about moving to Nepal

Travel insurance in Nepal

Enjoy stress-free travel to Nepal