Extending Tourist Permit to 180 Days

Entering Colombia is easy for most North Americans and many others.

Just show up at the border or airport with your passport showing six-months' validity.  You get a no-cost tourist stamp good for 90 days.

Extending for an additional 90 days is slightly more complicated, but can be pretty painless.  It should be done during the final week of validity of your original tourist stamp.

--------

Here in Quindío in Colombia's Juan Valdez Coffee Zone, I had to go to the Migratorio office (Centro Comerical Altavista, Armenia) with certain documents.

The process took one hour and cost $33 US, paid in pesos by Visa card.

Here is the required documentation I provided....

.. Showing of valid passport

.. Copy of passport photo/personal data pages and entry-to-Colombia stamp

.. Application I downloaded from a link provided at the laciudadperdida.com website -- This form itself was not required as the agent typed my information into her computer system.  However, it was useful as it substituted for  answering dozens of questions I otherwise might have been asked.

I brought photos, but these were not needed as I was photographed on the spot in the Migratorio office.

I was also fingerprinted inklessly.

cccmedia in the 'Q'

I had brought my car into Colombia at the Rumichaca border near Ipiales, Colombia - Tulcán, Ecuador, last December.

At that border, I received a 90-day certificate of permission to "import" my car into Colombia.

Upon extending my personal tourist permiso in Quindío, I was informed by the Migratorio agent that I would have to visit another office at DIAN agency in Quindío to extend the car certificate.  This I will need to do by next Monday, when my original 90 days run out.

cccmedia in Juan Valdez Coffee Country

Some information you need to provide for the visa extension that you might not have expected....

1.  The government-produced application form that I submitted called for blood type.

2.  The form called for the name, address and phone number of a Colombia resident (who could vouch for me).

3.  I had to provide my address and phone number (both happen to be temporary) in Colombia.

4.  I was asked to provide name and contact information in case of emergency.  I gave my visa-attorney's name and his email address.

cccmedia in La Zona Cafetera

Proof of onward travel.

In order to extend a tourist permiso for an additional 90 days, the Colombian government has the right to require the applicant to demonstrate the financial capability and planning to exit the country on or before the 180th day in Colombia.

In my case, I showed a copy of the DIAN car-"import" permit I received at Rumichaca border crossing.

If you don't have a car or a plane/bus ticket, it's widely reported on Internet forums that you can provide an unofficial itinerary showing the date and details of your planned exit from Colombia.

Some travelers have reported that they are not asked to provide proof of onward travel.

Historically, well-dressed and polite visitors to South American countries have not been refused visa extensions over the issue of proof-of-onward-travel.

cccmedia in the 'Q'

On Friday, seeking a separate extension of time for my car, I went to the downtown-Armenia, Colombia, office of DIAN, Dirección de Impuestos y Aduanas Nacional.  I had been directed there by the Migratorio agent who approved my personal tourist-permit extension the day before.

However, it turns out that this downtown location is not the correct DIAN office for this purpose.

I didn't have my car with me, so I took a taxi for about 45 minutes out to near El Edén international airport where DIAN has another Quindío office.

There, they processed most of my paperwork, but said I needed to bring in the car for inspection in order to get the extension I was seeking.

So on Saturday morning I brought in the car.  They looked under the hood where the VIN-type number is engraved.  They photographed the car.  They issued me the permit.

This now allows the car to be in the country for a total of 180 days, including the almost 90 days it has been with me in Colombia so far.

The DIAN agent who assisted me on Saturday said that I could get an additional 180 days for the car if I get a one-year 'temporary' visa and come back to DIAN in three months requesting the additional extension.

cccmedia in Quindío, Colombia

The DIAN agent told me that if I didn't maintain the paperwork keeping the car legal in Colombia .. the government could repossess the car.

There is some type of compensation available if your car is seized, although I didn't get into the particulars.  Much easier, I would think, to do the right thing and stay legal .. no matter how many trips it takes to the various DIAN offices.

cccmedia in La Zona Cafetera

Too bad you didn't rent a car in Ecuador for your initial trip to Colombia, and once you determined it was your new retirement paradise, buy one there. Thoughts?

Nards Barley wrote:

Too bad you didn't rent a car in Ecuador for your initial trip to Colombia, and once you determined it was your new retirement paradise, buy one there. Thoughts?

Thoughts...

1.  I would not have been allowed to drive an Ecuador rental car across the border into Colombia.

2.  As things stand now, I am legal until December with my present EC-licensed car in Colombia, provided I make one more trip to DIAN in June. 

3.  If I bought a car here, I would then own two cars, one more than I can reasonably drive.  I would eventually have to sell the one left behind in Quito.

4.  There is no charge for bringing an Ecuador-licensed car into Colombia and keeping it here for up to 180 days in all .. on the extension I received.  The obligatory insurance is cheap.

cccmedia in Colombia's Juan Valdez Coffee Zone