I am in England next month...My wife and I relocate in August

Greetings!

My wife and I plan to relocate ti the United Kingdom in August. I will have a teaching position position. My will plans to practice paediatric medicine.

I know all of you can help and assist. We need help to secure the bank accounts and properties. We desire to make friends and find many places to enjoy. I look forward to meeting anyone.

Rob

Depending on where you're from ...

You might well need to take a test to prove your English skills and the content of your post suggests you need a serious look at an English language course.

Pipesmoke is from the USA, Fred!  Although (tongue firmly in cheek), some may well agree with you!!!

If I've decoded the message correctly; Mr Pipesmoke is a teacher, Mrs Pipesmoke is a doctor; or perhaps these are ambitions.  Perhaps some clarification is needed?

Whatever, at the top of the page is a link to our Handy Tools section, there he will find articles related to moving to the UK; once he's read those, he can come back to us with any specific questions, but this time turn the auto-correct function of his phone/pad off.

Have a great day etc etc etc. :)

Hi there,

Where are you moving to in the uk? Perhaps I can assist you.

I yet to know. Recruiter flies me to London around 8 March.  I will certainly know by 18 April.

My wife is in the process to finish her medical licence application. Since she is a paeditrcian, GMA will reciprocate her AAP license.

I think I am staying at the Jury's Inn in London. Recruiter provides itinerary within this week. 

Ideas?

Thanks for the reply.

Rob

Oops.  I will know relocation place by 18 March.  Sorry about.  It is too early in the morning.

Rob

No worries,

Jury's inn has a couple of hotels in London and watford, I believe. Opening a bank account can be sometime complicated, depending of where you are from ( EU?)

As regarding property, London is a big big place and it will all depend on many different aspects, where do you want to live, what is your budget and what is important to you, as a family i.e.. are you guys townies or prefer the suburbs ? Are you happy to commute? Are you planning to enjoy London's theatre's and culture much?

The property market in London is very dynamic and it is not unusual for good rental property to go off the market in 24 h. You can look at properties on various websites, it can be a time consuming and frustrating task, as what you see online does nor reflect the reality most of the time. 

It is important to consider and to reflect about what is it that brings you here on the first place? what are you goals for relocation? Is it a profesional move? or perhpas is about begging afresh and having an adventure? for some people might be to do with their kids education, etc...

it is all very very personal but I am happy to discuss with either you our your wife and help you can get a sense of what is what.

Regards
L

Jurys Inn hotels are located in Croydon and Watford.  You can locate them on Google Maps.  Watford is further out of London, but cheaper.  If you are going to be working in London, think about transport for the long term.  Commuting by public transport isn't particularly cheap, but neither are London property rents.  For many in the London area, where they live is often dictated by cost and balancing the cost of living with transport. 

Opening a bank account can be tricky, but Lloyds and Barclays offer accounts for newly arrived expats, including the opportunity to hold the account in USD.

London has lots of property agents.  Heres on to get you started:   

http://www.blackkatz.com/properties-to- … don_1c.htm

In the UK it's usual to sign up for an 'assured short hold tenancy', which is an agreement that lasts for 6 months, or a year.  A deposit of one months rent plus a months rent in advance is generally payable.  There may be some other fees charged by the agent.  You will normally need a reference and a credit check (to make sure you're not in debt).  Not sure how they go about this if you're new in the UK.  Normally, the assured shorthold tenancy cannot be cancelled within the first 6 months (or year), unless the landlord agrees.  Thereafter the contract can be cancelled with one months notice from either tenant or landlord.

Thanks for the immediate response, We ought to connect while i am there. Engage Education flies me to its iday event sometime before the weekend of 11 March. I think they fly me back sometime during the weekend of March 19.

I am unsure about opening the bank account. I am a dual citizen --- Portugal and the United States. Does this help the equation? AS an aside, I rather an offshore account to possess a bulk of the money. Thoughts?

I am unsure where I shall be. Engage lines me up with potential employers. The potential employers interview me. The second opportunity is to either teach a class or another interview. This part of the event occurs during the fist two or three days. I need day I can only say about regarding property, I will know. I prefer to be a bit away from London. I prefer about an hour or two away from a major airport. My mother resides in the US. She is in her 80. I know I need to fly within a moment's notice. 

I will only know my budget once I sign the contract. May I forward it to you once it is affirmed?

I will need a damn good accountant and solicitor. Any references?

My dog is the only hitch at this time. I am happy to commute. I rather that than the hustle and bustle of the megatropolis of London. ? I certainly  plan to enjoy London's theatres and culture. I really want the full experience. My game plan is to live there for about ten to fifteen years. There are many reasons for this. A couple are a lifelong dream to live overseas. The other is sheer adventure.

Where do you suggest where I can look at properties on various websites?I do not mind it to be a time consuming and frustrating task. I do love my conveniences and easy paths to peace of mind.

My relocation is a professional move? It also is about begging afresh and having an adventure.

When would be a great time to chat? My personal email is [email protected].

Thanks. I truly appreciate your guidance and assistance.

R

Thanks, again, for the response.

I am thinking about not working in London. I am thinking about being at least an hour away. Are there any particular areas that are inexpensive, relatively. I am staying in Watford for the time I am there during the second week of March. Is it a good place to work? Can you further advise privately?

I do have a Barclays accounts, credit and savings. Are there any other types off accounts I wold need to have? Would my being a dual citizen have a bearing? I am a citizen of an EU nation. Could be of further help?

Can we have a chat whilst in London?

Fred,

Thanks for the comments. Please feel free to respond to the posts to which I have properly responded.

Thanks, L!

I am from the USA. I am a retired lawyer who currently teaches school. My wife is a baby doctor. Please feel free to call me Rob

Thanks, Cynic!

I look forward associating with you.

Be well,

Rob

I used to live in Kent, place called West Malling, near Maidstone.  This was 50 minutes away from London by train yet very pleasant and rural and lots of history.  Property rents were from around £600 per month.  The best of both worlds in my opinion as I used to live in London (South Woodford, Leytonstone, Harrow), but got a bit fed up with being in the city.  Kent isn't known as 'the garden of England for nothing'.  Also Gatwick Airport was about 40 - 50 minutes away by car.

As I previously stated, living outside London and working in London will lead to expensive commuting costs, running into £ 000's per year.  Driving into London would be slow and stressful, plus there is the congestion charge to consider, if you are more central.  London pay rates to tend to be a bit higher, but I am not sure this would offset the commuting costs.

As far as Watford is concerned, I suggest that you see it first.  There are smaller more pleasant places close by though.

As far as looking for property rentals, many real estate agents also act as rental agents.  There are so many that its difficult to recommend a particular one.  There are also sites such as Gumtree, but there have been a few scams on here, so be cautious.  I would definitely search for property once you are in England, as you need to view both the property and the area.

As far as banking is concerned, my knowledge is limited.  As you are with Barclays already, maybe opening an account in the UK would not be too difficult.  The main problem with opening new accounts, for expats, is that the bank will want to do a credit reference check and are wary when it is someone with no history.  Do an online search - there are banks who offer products specifically for expats.  Perhaps you can discuss this with your bank.

I am not sure why you will need a solicitor? 

If you are working through an agency, you will be classed as self employed (unless the agency offers 'PAYE').  So, for the purposes of the annual tax returns, an accountant will be useful.  Another alternative is to sign up with a payroll outsourcing agent.  They act as your employer and deal with tax and national insurance deductions on your behalf (for a fee).

You asked:  "Can we have a chat whilst in London?"  I don't know whether this was directed to me?  But I live in Kenya!

L,

Thanks for the info. It is great.

Th reason why I need a solicitor is I always want to know who to use for tax and general principle. One never knows. (I am a retired lawyer. It is great to know fellow lawyers.)

I hope to know where I am when I return to the United States on March 19th. I am hoping not to be working within the London area. I am wanting to have the best of both worlds, as you did. I will definitely employ your advice on the rental agents. I am gleeful you did.

As for the banking, I will contact Barclays within the next week to ask their advice. I will definitely report back! My wife has the A+ credit. I hope that is not a problem.

I think the recruiting agency I am using is contacting schools to hire me. It is a contract position with the intention to be a permanent gig. My wife, the baby doctor, will have a hopefully permanent gig. Will report back there.

Tell me more about Kenya. I love western Africa.

R

PS

Anymore wisdom?

An educational recruiter flies me to its event sometime before the weekend of 11 March. I think they fly me back sometime during the weekend of March 19.

I am a dual citizen --- Portugal and the United States. Does this help the equation? AS an aside, I rather an offshore account to possess a bulk of the money. Thoughts?

I am unsure where I shall be until the recruiter lines me up with potential employers. I prefer to be a bit away from London. I prefer about an hour or two away from a major airport. My mother resides in the US. She is in her 80. I know I need to fly within a moment's notice. 
As I said to others in this thread,  my dog is the only hitch at this time. I am happy to commute. I rather not the hustle and bustle of the megatropolis of London.

My relocation is a professional move.  It also is about an adventure.

When would be a great time to chat? My personal email is [email protected].

Thanks. I truly appreciate your guidance and assistance.

R

Sorry about the delay. I am trying to keep track of all the discussions.

I am in London from 11 March until the 18th. I will not know where I will reside until the 18th of March.

I always welcome your connecting and advice. Chat soon! Email me anytime. R

Hey Rob

Good to have you on the site, just word of advise not good to publish your personal email address on an open forum as you could subject spam.

You said you want a lawyer, you may wish to consider the Citizens Advice Bureau, they offer free advice. Nearest one can be found here and give you information to what you may need.

Until you know where you will be living I can't give you advice on real estate links.

As for places to live, The Midlands is a good option. It has a couple of international airports and on the train its easy to reach other locations within the UK.

OK, thats all for now from me.

Simon

Pipesmoke,

You don't need a solicitor to sort out your tax affairs.  This will be the accountants job.  I don't think that you will really need the services of a solicitor at all - charges are quite high.  Guideline hourly rates for London range from £138 to £296 per hour.

The law firm that my family have dealt with for years are London based, but pricey.  if you want details, please send me a private message.

Another idea for places to live;  Manchester area.  International airport (arguably more major than Birmingham), cheaper than London.  Great countryside, such as the English Lake District within easy reach, cheaper to live and a less crowded area than the South East.  Incidentally, my daughters partner was commuting to London from Manchester for work - about an hour and a half each way, by rail (but around £1000 per month).

The biggest advantage of the South East is that there is much more employment mobility/job choices.  London's economy, I believe makes up something like a fifth of the entire UK economy.

As for me;  I have been in Kenya (East, not West Africa) on and off since 2004.  My wife is Kenyan which is what brought me here.  We live in Nyeri, which is about 170km from Nairobi and in the highlands (about 6000ft), so although we are about 40 mins drive from the equator, the climate is pleasantly cool.

I certainly appreciate and will do what "Simon says". Forgive the pun. I will examine your recommendations. I will report back after the recruiting trip to Watford.

I always look forward to your guidance and wisdom.

Rob

Thanks!