Credit History

Long term British Expat thinking about returning 'home' for a bit. I left the UK 20+ years ago and have used my bank account sporadically since then. I decided to check my credit score but Clearscore, Experian etc couldn't find me.

How important is credit history/score when renting an apartment? Will work contracts suffice?

kleintje :

Long term British Expat thinking about returning 'home' for a bit. I left the UK 20+ years ago and have used my bank account sporadically since then. I decided to check my credit score but Clearscore, Experian etc couldn't find me.

How important is credit history/score when renting an apartment? Will work contracts suffice?

Essential if you're looking for credit; to answer your question, not sure there is a financial risk in renting property, that gets covered by the deposit you have to put down (normally cash).

Not looking for credit but I thought that a credit check was standard for landlords these days.

Google tells me they do; but need your permission.  You’re not the first person to come from abroad with no credit score, so it must be doable.

we were in a similar situation. Landlord asked us for 6-8 months of rent in advance as deposit since we had no references. we ended up applying for social housing. I had an excellent credit history in Guatemala however visa there is not the same as visa here. read here https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/how-to-improve-your-credit-rating and good luck!

Patty
Latinzest