Visit to Kairouan

Dear fellow forum members,

I am visiting Kairouan for three weeks in March for a volunteer mission (helping to establish a solar module production facility there) and would like to meet some locals or other foreigners there.
Also recommendations on what to do and where to go are welcome.
I am German, but lived and travelled widely (first time to Tunisia, though), love old buildings and am open for any interesting activity. Unfortunately I do not speak Arabic or French.
Thanks for your replies!

Greetings,
    Beppi

Hi!
I'm not sure how far you're going to venture out from your area of stay but; Tunis is a must! You should hire a local tour guide to show you around Carthage and Tunis and sidi bou siad. The ruins are spectacular and the history is amazing.
El jem has the second largest Roman colasium and it's a fantastic adventure.
There are many spots all over Tunisia where natural hotsprings are brought to the surface to bathe in. I'm not sure which is the closest to where your staying but the Turkish bathes are a nice relaxing experience.
Best of luck to you and I hope you enjoy your stay
-rio

Thanks for your reply!
I am not sure yet how much time I will have for sightseeing - and I never hire a guide, as they are normally crooks (Please tell me if Tunisia is an exception in this!).
But I am a fan of hot springs, didn't know Tunisia has them too. Where can I find some, or Turkish baths, in or near Kairouan?

The reason I suggested a tour guide is because tunis is a very difficult city to navigate through and there tends to be little to no information about the ruins or the history but the tour guides always know more.
You also won't find many people who speak English but almost all the tour guides speak English and some of them speak German.
It's true some of them are kinda shady but if you employ them through a hotel they should be good.

Hello beppi,
Kairouan is a lovely city, here is an article I wrote, tunisie-republicaine.blogspot.com/2014/03/sublime-kairouanla-ville-des-300.html you will find beautiful pictures. Unfortunately it is in French, it will have to translate it!
Enjoy your trip

Thank you very much, Skhiri! Beautiful pictures - makes me look forward to my visit to Kairouan!
Will you be in Kairouan during my stay (7.-25.March)? If so, maybe we can meet for a coffee?

Unfortunately , I'won't be in kairouan during this period,Actually , I 'm living between Sousse and Monastir, so , if you go throuh one of these cities , it will be a pleasure to see you.

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please do not propose your services on the forum. You may drop an advert in the jobs section or register in the Business directory. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Beppi - I know this area very, very well having lived close.  You should try a trip to Sbeitla (Sufetlya).  There is a very excellent and well maintained roman site there with some byzantine architecture as well.  You can hire a guide at the entrance. 

We do have hot springs but I don't know of any near Kairouan.  There are great springs at Ain Draham but it is in extreme north near Tabarka but if you had a weekend then you could visit.

You might also like to take a trip to Tozeur, they also have some warm springs and the palmyra is lovely.  The architecture is unique also.  It is a long journey from Kairouan maybe 2 hours or a bit more depending on how you travel there. 

I hope you will enjoy it

Hi All,

I am flying to Tunisia tomorrow and will stay until 26.Mar. at Hotel Kasbah in Kairouan.
If you have time to meet (in the evenings or weekend), please contact me by this site's PM (Personal Messages) system..
Looking forward to see you!

Beppi

Very Welcome
Hope you the best moments in Tunisia.
I am currently in Tunis running an administrative marathon trying to establish a new company. I will be travelling to Sidi Bouzid -for sure- before the 20th. Promised, I will plan for a break in Kairouan and invite you to a coffee. I will notify you as soon as I precise the date.
Kind Regards
Brahim