Etiquette for Tết

Hi,

Thanks for reading my post. 

Looking to spend Tet with my gf and her parents at my gfs house.  Wondering about various traditions over the Tet holiday. Will be there from Jan 27th-2nd of Feb.  Have met the parents before but always want to make a good impression.

"Lucky Money"   - do I give to her parents? How much is reasonable?
Where can I get the envelops?
Do I give my girlfriend lucky money? (she does not work...I already support her)

Drinking- is there a particular spirit/alcohol that is consumed over the period?

Clothes- Do I need to wear new clothes too?

Food - Any specific food that is prepared (so that I can buy the ingredients for my gf to prepare)?

Bonding time - Am I supposed to spend time with the Dad (I do not speak VN and he does not speak English)?

Any VN phrases I should use over this period?

Gifts - In addition to, or as opposed to money am I supposed to buy gifts for anyone?  Who?  What kind of gifts?

Any practices which I need to be aware of over that period?

Thanks again!

1. Lucky money is a traditional gift for your love, children and elder in TET ONLY (Eve night, and three first day in the new year) , not necessary very high amount of money.

_You can support them anytime they need, not specifically in Tet. 50 USD for both is fine, except they  need your money instead of a son-in-law.

_Envelops are selling everywhere, street vendor, supermarket, convenient store. Just choose the red one with 2017 number :D.

_You need prepare a few 2-5$/kid ~ equivalent cash for unexpected kids. (Ask your gf to make signal with you whether should or shouldn't give to a kid).

_You can give extra money to your gf aside lucky money (same same with her parents) so she can cover any unexpected thing for you. Dont try to pay anything yourself and dont bring much cash.

2. You can drink, but should not too much. (to control yourself in front of others)

3. If in city, formal clothes are highly recommended but jean and shirts are good enough in most of the case. Not short.

4.  Food should be prepared by your gf family, not by you - a guest. You can tell you gf buy some cookies, wine, candy, etc. (not much)

5. U can chat chit with whoever can speak English, and watching TV with your gf family, or joining any activities such as planting, feeding animal (if in countryside :D). Helping your gf in front of her relatives is MUST HAVE  (should be in normal days too lol)

6. Small gifts are good, ask your gf about elders (aside her parents) in her family.

7. "Happy new year"is very simply and easy for Vietnamese to understand. Ask your gf to say it in Vietnamese if you want.

"Chuc mung nam moi", "Chuc suc khoe" are most popular sentences for everybody.

8. Depend on the culture of your gf family, there are some common senses about being friendly (not with female strangers :D), being well educated, being optimistic.

Have a nice Tet ahead.