Internet Options In Jeddah

Hey,
I moved to Jeddah about 1month ago. I live in a place called Mishrifah, near Souq-al-Jawal. As soon as I arrived my friend gave me an STC pack of 10GB 4G. I got speeds upto 20mbps on my mobile phone, to which I was very grateful. I really liked the latency I got while I did online gaming. I got about 156ms when I used to play online MMORPG's. Anyways, it got done very soon. Now, I had to get myself an internet connection, so I finally went to a shop nearby and got a 4G Unlimited Internet Pack of 3months of Mobily. They gave me router as well. My friends told me that Mobily was awesome and they are better than STC, so I ended up Mobily Internet Plan.
First week was fine, I got about 8mbps Download speed and 2mbps Upload speed, which is quite low as compared to that of STC. Anyways I was fine with it. The main problem occurred to me when I wanted to play online games, I got about 250ms which was way more than what I got on STC. Anyone who plays online games can pretty much relate himself to my situation. Now that I have bought it, I thought its okay. Another problem struck me from 2nd week onwards. My internet speeds are low as 0.33mbps download speed and 0.12mbps upload speed. At this point, I get 450ms on games. 450ms is hell. I cant literally do anything, like anything. I was really angry upon my decision. Its the 3rd week now, so I thought why not make a call to Mobily and tell them whats going on.
So I did it, I called Mobily today early in the morning, and I told them what problems I get. As usual with every carrier, they asked me to give my ID and Account Number. After all required information, I told them what I was facing. And the operator responded by saying, that the  pack I have subscribed to doesn't sell anymore, i.e. Mobily has stopped offering that package. I said okay!, but what you can do about my speeds. The Operator said that they cant do anything about it, like nothing.
At this moment, I don't know what to say. Maximum speed that I get on a 4g network is 0.33mbps and 450ms as my latency(which sometime goes upto 1200-1500ms). It feels like a dead investment to which I have to stick onto till the pack expires.
Such behavior from Mobily was not good, in my opinion. How can you just do away with something that you have offered for value. I didn't get that pack for free of cost, I paid for it.
Well, if there is someone who lives in Jeddah(same place as mine), can you recommend me about any other Internet Packs going on. Also please answer some of my questions, if you have enough time:
a) Does STC offer a better speed in the long run?
b) Are there any speed lagging, where speed decreases a lot?
c) I have recently seen a Fiber optic pack for 200sr a month which offers 20mbps pack, does it offer the claimed speed?
d) Are there any problems with STC carrier, like do they create problems for people in the long run?
e) Incase, I want to unsubscribe from the package, will it take a long time, since it is a Fiber Net and is postpaid?

Thanks a lot for helping me out.
:D

such a long post...

STC

/thread

If you really want trust-able connection, try to avoid wireless technology. It takes a long list of pre-requisites and factors; distance from a booster, number of concrete structures between you and the transmitter, presence of other intervening transmitters are just a few to count.

Imo, despite so many G's released, landline is still better than wireless. Go for a landline (ADSL or fiber) from STC, I hope you won't look back.

Mobily is working on fiber cons but it's too early to say anything about it yet.

IMO, 150ms is terrible lol unless if that's the ping to the game's server which is less terrible in that case.

a) Does STC offer a better speed in the long run?
Stay light years away from 3G/4G connections, too many variables.

b) Are there any speed lagging, where speed decreases a lot?
In my case with fibre, it usually drops to 1 Mbps maybe once a month (usually midnight) when they do maintenance or so they tell me after calling them up.

c) I have recently seen a Fibre optic pack for 200sr a month which offers 20mbps pack, does it offer the claimed speed?
Get the 250SR one, that's 50 Mbps and yes it does. Though keep in mind, that's the speed to their server and you will only see such number with torrents due to how they work or file sharing sites which tend to be much faster.

d) Are there any problems with STC carrier, like do they create problems for people in the long run?
The only thing I keep hearing about is people, killing their subscription only to find months later that it wasn't ever deactivated.

e) In case, I want to unsubscribe from the package, will it take a long time, since it is a Fibre Net and is postpaid?
I believe there is a cancellation fee If you were to cancel it in less than a year. I am unsure exactly so take it with a grain of salt.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5976872468.png

@Thelegend
Thanks buddy for your opinion. It means a lot to me 😁

@Sharif
Thanks buddy for sooo much information. I really appreciate it. Will go for the 250sr pack next week. Thanks a lot. 😁

stc or mobily all these with "unlimited" packages are a bunch of nonsense ... as soon as you hit a certain amount of data they  Throttle you... u get a major slow down...

rareshine wrote:

stc or mobily all these with "unlimited" packages are a bunch of nonsense ... as soon as you hit a certain amount of data they  Throttle you... u get a major slow down...

There were times I went over 200 GB in a month, I seem to have been fine

^nerd

you're speaking on wired internet, im talking about sim internet

sharif_ wrote:
rareshine wrote:

rareshine wrote:

you're speaking on wired internet, im talking about sim internet

sharif_ wrote:
rareshine wrote:

Oh I see.
By the way, I heard unlimited data is not being sold anymore, is it true?

Yes, its true. They don't sell it anymore. I don't know how I got one though. Seriously regretting that.
@Sharif- Thanks for your advice bro. I have one question still in my mind as I didn't switch to STC yet. Do you get timely bills of STC, like after 1month or 2months? and do you have any system of checking your current bills?
I hope you dont mind me asking that. Thanks a lot bro.

If you add your STC (or any other utility) account number to your e-bank, as soon as the utility company issues a new bill, it will get updated in your bank account interface which you can check online. You don't have to wait for the bill to arrive at your place, can pay online from your bank account directly.

around_the_world wrote:

If you add your STC (or any other utility) account number to your e-bank, as soon as the utility company issues a new bill, it will get updated in your bank account interface which you can check online. You don't have to wait for the bill to arrive at your place, can pay online from your bank account directly.

Along with this and MySTC app. Their website is pretty useful as well (After you signed up and login)

Try 4g for one year ,, unlimited download
it is not being sold in the official STC shops
since this offer is only for business customers or companies
but I have seen few ADs online , selling these sim cards for like 1400
which I feel is a good deal

STC offers good service even on the longer run ,  that what my personal experience

If you're talking about wired, I'll go for STC. I've heard my friend has a Mobily connection using fiber optic and he said it's fast. If you can, try both though.