Studying in Dominican Republic

Hello everyone,

Would you recommend studying abroad in Dominican Republic?

Every year, 4 million young people from all over the world choose to study abroad for one semester or a full academic year. Would you encourage them to come and study in Dominican Republic?

In your opinion, what are the most prestigious colleges and universities in the country/area? Are these free of charge? If not, are tuition fees expensive? Are there many foreign students enrolled in these schools/colleges/universities? What is the main language of instruction at the university?

Thank you in advance for sharing!
Priscilla

One of the top universities in the Dominican Republic is PUCMM - Pontificia Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra (www.pucmm.edu.do). They have campuses in Santiago and Santo Domingo.

Many consider going to a university in the Dominican Republic since the cost is significantly less in comparison to US universities. To my knowledge all class instruction is given in the Spanish language.

All colleges and universities in the Dominican Republic teach mainly in the Spanish language. The reason is very simple, the state and level of English teaching in the Dominican Republic is simply bad. I wanted to greet the English teacher of my grandchild one day at a meeting and she simply could not respond to me "Good evening, how are you?"

The Universidad Federico Henríquez y Carvajal (UFHEC) is however a very good school that would not misstand on any curriculum. A number of very high level, dedicated teachers and professors, who know what they are doing, teach there.
If the prospective student speaks the Spanish language well to very well, seeking a study place at that school is to be reccomended.
By the way, I have no connection or relationship with the UFHEC. The website is www.ufhec.edu.do and the email address is [email protected].

I would NOT recommend expats come here to study.  FIRST it is in Spanish. Second most universities and schools are not high quality.

The best from here would be barely average anywhere else.

It is cheaper then some places but the quality of education is NOT what I would be accepting.

I agree with Planner the DR is not the place to get an education.

Bob K

My girlfriend attended university here and she would bring work home, i was surprised to see that alot of here work was Canadian high school level, it would probably be alot of fun and a good way to learn spanish but if you are serious about your education The Dominican Republic is not quite up to North American standards.

Accreditation and a diploma in a university outside of the applicants chosen country to work in is a guarantee of future employment. In other words as an example, Canada will not recognize a medical degree from outside Canada. You will have to go through the long process of getting accredited in Canada.

I taught Spanish mostly in college for 40 years, and completed my MA and PhD in Mexico, and I really do not know much about Dominican universities. If I wanted to study in a Spanish speaking country, I would think that Mexico, Spain, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile and perhaps Ecuador would be better choices, at least for studying Spanish. I would complete the Duo Lingo Spanish course on the cellphone or computer and then try the schools in Antigua Guatemala to get more conversational skills.
\
It is a great place to visit, but compared with the other countries I mentioned, culturally, it is less than great.

Once in the 1980;s I went to the Madre y Maestra U in Santiago and tried to chat up some faculty people. This was after I had taught in several US colleges.  The two women spoke with were the most snobbish Latinas I have ever met, But surely they are nit typical and in any case, they would not be there now.

I met a guy who taught English there as well, but he did not actually SPEAK English much.

Learning Spanish in the dr would be like learning English in the deepest Ozarks.

This thread isnt specific to learning spanish here. Its about studying abroad.

There are some good universities here and they teach in Spanish. There are some crappy universities here and they teach in Spanish.

Buyer beware if you think you will get a good "education" here.