GCC Driving License Conversion

I am holding an UAE Driving License for Automatic Gear Vehicles and recently moved to Oman for employment. I hear people / ROP is saying that there is no provision of converting to Oman Driving License for Automatic Gear. Whereas I have read an article from TimesofOman dated 25th Jan 2015 that ROP has clarified that GCC conversion is possible and if it has condition to drive automatic then ROP will issue DL for Auto gear vehicles only. I don't understand why they are again creating this confusion? Have they changed the laws. Has anyone in the recent times made conversion from GCC / UAE Auto DL to Oman DL for Automatic Gears?

Hi,

You cannot convert automatic Dubai DL to Oman DL. This is because ROP do not have a provision to give you an automatic DL. Only females and people with disabilities can get an automatic DL. If your Dubai DL is manual and its 1 year old it can be exchanged for a manual DL in Oman.

That news report of times of Oman is false, this was clarified by ROP. (I personally went and asked them).

Best of luck

Shankar

Thanks Mr. Sankar. In fact I have started my driving class.

Mr. Varad,
What are the steps youve made for your oman license now,did uae license help in securing oman license?

Kahector,
As stated in the post earlier, if you are holding UAE DL (Manual) for more than year, then conversion to Oman DL is possible, whereas UAE DL (Automatic) is not possible, sometimes they might give waiver in Drum and Slope or either one depending on the mood of the officer at DL office @ Seeb, Muscat, since I live in Muscat.
With regards to normal procedure, i have got an instructor who taught me as and helped me in clearing the test. I got failed 3 x times, 4th attempt cleared.
Hence, if you are holding UAE Automatic DL, don't bother about conversion, which is not possible, try for waiver, especially if your DL is issued in Sharjah, then no waiver.
all the best. Don't pay full or lumpsum to your instructor. Pay on daily basis and test basis. They might say that you pay me OMR 110 for 1 test and 10 classes etc., Don't fall for it. Say you are ready to pay on daily basis. regards