ID Cards for employment

My son moved to Malta three weeks ago. He has applied for jobs but has been told he needs an ID card. He has been to the Employment Centre who tells him the employer sorts these things out and the employer said he needs to go to the Employment Centre. Although there is plenty of work to be offered, this ID card is a stumbling block. Can anyone tell me who should supply these ID Cards, where to get one, an address or phone number. He is excited being in Malta and wanting to start work, but this card is frustrating him.

Goodison wrote:

My son moved to Malta three weeks ago. He has applied for jobs but has been told he needs an ID card. He has been to the Employment Centre who tells him the employer sorts these things out and the employer said he needs to go to the Employment Centre. Although there is plenty of work to be offered, this ID card is a stumbling block. Can anyone tell me who should supply these ID Cards, where to get one, an address or phone number. He is excited being in Malta and wanting to start work, but this card is frustrating him.

Yet again, it is not an ID card it is an eResidence card and, as has been said hundreds of time on here, the information is in the pinned post at the top of the Forum page!
HERE!
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=370643

@Goodison: If your son is an EU citizen, he does not require an ‘e-Residence Card' in order to be able to immediately commence regular employment in Malta - according to law.   

Accordingly, I recommend you follow the advice already given to you on this thread.

Thanks for the info. The problem has been a prospective employer has asked my son for an ID Card. Others have said you have to be in Malta for 4 weeks and the local employment office has sent him to other places in Valletta for an ID Card. Being new on the Island is not the easiest way to settle down. We live in the Republic of Ireland so there should not be any problem.
Any more info will always be appreciated. Goodison

As mentioned above all the information you need is already here on how you apply for a e residence card not an ID card.

Hi Goodson,
Its a great question you have asked because my girlfriend has been to Evans House in Valetta several times now and only today was she given the right advice,

Your son is correct, IT IS AN ID CARD and not an eresidence card that he needs.
I've attached exactly what he needs to this post as it is very frustrating when people copy and paste out of date information.
The residence card changed quite recently and if you ask for one, they will tell you the same.
Your employer as mine did asked me for an ID card before commencing work but this is not true, your employer signs a form that is also attached.
With these forms you will be asked for a passport and copy of passport, then they will provide a passport photo for your card.
I have to say the gentleman on the desk is very helpful and patient but told my girlfriend today to forget about the eresidency card..

I hope this has been helpful, it is frustrating and very difficult if your given the wrong information. If you need more help just ask.

H

Ps Its form Id 1a and cea. Form A. This is what we were given.

I cannot attach pictures I have taken of forms.

Horrigan wrote:

Hi Goodson,
Its a great question you have asked because my girlfriend has been to Evans House in Valetta several times now and only today was she given the right advice,

Your son is correct, IT IS AN ID CARD and not an eresidence card that he needs.
I've attached exactly what he needs to this post as it is very frustrating when people copy and paste out of date information.
The residence card changed quite recently and if you ask for one, they will tell you the same.
Your employer as mine did asked me for an ID card before commencing work but this is not true, your employer signs a form that is also attached.
With these forms you will be asked for a passport and copy of passport, then they will provide a passport photo for your card.
I have to say the gentleman on the desk is very helpful and patient but told my girlfriend today to forget about the eresidency card..

I hope this has been helpful, it is frustrating and very difficult if your given the wrong information. If you need more help just ask.

H

Ps Its form Id 1a and cea. Form A. This is what we were given.

ID cards are only issued to Maltese citizens, contain biometric information and can be used as a travel document in the Schengen area.

The eResidence card doubles up as an ID card but is not the same, does not have biometric information and can not be used for travel!

The 'cea Form A' is an application for an eResidence card for those applying under the employment/self employment route as opposed to 'Form J' for the self sufficiency route.
Everyone fills in the 'Form ID 1A'

Ray

Hi Ray, I was down in Evans house today, I explained exactly what you've just stated, unfortunately the information I gave the three people about eresidency cards was dismissed, I was told that ID cards only apply to Maltese. Not the case anymore.

And to be honest for what I and my girlfriend have been through to get this far i'd advise uk nationals to just apply for an ID card,
There are also lots of forms available at Evans house not mentioned on reply from YET AGAIN reply. T

Thanks again, if your not convinced i'd quite happily meet someone down in Valetta from this site and they can see for themselves.

Wait and see what card you get issued with, If I was a gambling man I would bet it will have 'Residence Documentation' on the front at the top and your ID number with an 'A' prefix on the back, unlike the Maltese ID card which has the ID number on the front with no 'A' (for Alien) prefix.

As I said, the form you have been given (Form A) is an application for eResidence, these cards are commonly referred to as ID cards

Good luck!

Ray