Average salary and cost of living in malta

JohnOng wrote:

3.    I understand internet speed in Malta can varies between 6mbs and 100mbs(fibre BB), what is the cost for each?  Will 100mbs be very costly?

I pay 96 euros for 100MB Internet and TV package. Its not the cheapest, and to be honest I'd probably be fine with 50MB or even 25MB.

i find the melita 30mb service superb.....more than adequate for home use downloading etc etc etc

I also have 30MB from Melita, and so far, seems pretty good! For 40€, I have also have 80 channels plus a fixed telephone line...not a bad deal.

Thanks and judging by the feedbacks, I supposed 30mbs will be good enough for skype purposes and simple surfing.

We have had the 30 Mbps internet from Melita for some time and it works fine for Skype and even watching internet TV. The actual speed determined by Speedcheck was aprox. 20 Mbps.

A few days ago I upgraded to the fiberoptic 60 Mbps bundle and you do notice a difference!

Cheers
Ricky

I know the company I work for is hiring a tech support agent at about 17000 - 19000 right now....  (pre tax)

do you need to get an nursing exam to get a nurse license to work in malta? and what is the healthcare like compared to the uk?

Hi yoldan,

welcome to the forum.

The health care system is similar to the UK system and you will need a nursing degree to be allowed to be a nurse in Malta. There is a Commission that will judge and compare your qualifications and issue you wih a license.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi!

I'm a Sofware Tester and applying for a company in Malta. With regards to salary, can you please give me an idea how much is the salary for a Software Tester position? How's the environment in Malta? Is it okay to bring a family there? How about the cost of living? your ideas / inputs will be appreciated...thanks in advance ;-)

Hi,
I'm thinking of jumping ship to Malta and would like to know what the salary levels are like and general cost of living is.
Does anyone know what the salary range is for work as:
1. Website Manager
2. Press Officer
3. Public Relations

Many thanks,

Matt

Hey!

I'm just wondering what the average salary for a physician in Malta is. I could imagine that it varies between different specialties. Is there any statistics for this?

Thanks in advance

i am a B.Tech in  Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering (E&TC) , i want to job in any Europe-an-country, in my subject, if any one know it please inform me  about it, about monthly salary ,house rent and fooding coast ,  please..........   I waiting for ur responce............

Matt07 wrote:

Hi,
I'm thinking of jumping ship to Malta and would like to know what the salary levels are like and general cost of living is.
Does anyone know what the salary range is for work as:
1. Website Manager
2. Press Officer
3. Public Relations

Many thanks,

Matt

If you have Facebook, there is a site called Jobs in Malta, they are amazing at the various different positions available and for some reason money isn't always mentioned.

Yes you can spend less when you go shopping in LIDL. Very cheap

7.75 euro an hour with the government, but more with the private. However, it depends up on years of working as a nurse and expertise area.

Good morning!

Can you please let me know the price for the things mentioned below?

1. water 1 litre
2. milk 1 litre
3. chicken 1 kg
4. egg 12 nos
5. cooking oil 1 litre
6. electricity consumption- 1 unit
7. gas cylinder
8. water consumption- 1 unit

I want to compare the price before accepting the job offer.

Thanks a lot.

Azilaf

You can check prices at various supermarkets that have lists online. They vary, although not by much.

http://www.maltasupermarket.com/ is one I use. You can also try http://greens.com.mt/ or http://www.smart.com.mt/.

Gas and water prices are a little more complicated. I suggest you search this forum for more information - the questions have been asked before.

1. water 1 litre - can be as cheap as 6c to 50c - depending on where you make the purchase and brand and if you buy bulk
2. milk 1 litre - 83c for semi skimmed slightly cheaper for full skim and slightly dearer for full fat
3. chicken 1 kg - depends in type - legs breast wings - but roughly 5e per kg for say breast, wings and legs are much cheaper
4. egg 12 nos - 2.55e for 15
5. cooking oil 1 litre - sunflower vegetable or olive...?
6. electricity consumption - this is difficult as there are too many variables i.e tariff and usage rates
7. gas cylinder - 12kg about 17e
8. water consumption- 1 unit - again depending on usage and type of tariff

Thanks a lot, Toonarmy.

It's very helpful indeed.

Hello bloggers. Just joined.

Retiree in Toronto. Struggling with thoughts of repatriating to my native country (from Pieta). Hope to rent in Marsaxlokk or M'Scala max 600 euros monthly for permanent residence. Single and old male(haha). Unfortunately after presumed taxes etc. may have no more than 1200 euros monthly. I'm independent, don't drink, don't eat out as I always enjoy my own meals. What's my chances of recapturing some old memories reasonably comfortably? Left Malta at 19 years of age. There is most of Malta and Gozo that I never visited when there. I intend to enjoy life walking all over the place. Will I make it? Thank you

Hi pusspuss,

welcome to the forum.

Going by your brief description of your (financial) situation you should be fine. Especially as I'm sure you can get something very nice for a lot less than 600 € in the south of the island.

When you arrive consider joining the Ramblers'. We walk all over the island including Gozo and have a lot of fun.

Cheers
Ricky

pusspuss1 wrote:

Hello bloggers. Just joined.

Retiree in Toronto. Struggling with thoughts of repatriating to my native country (from Pieta). Hope to rent in Marsaxlokk or M'Scala max 600 euros monthly for permanent residence. Single and old male(haha). Unfortunately after presumed taxes etc. may have no more than 1200 euros monthly. I'm independent, don't drink, don't eat out as I always enjoy my own meals. What's my chances of recapturing some old memories reasonably comfortably? Left Malta at 19 years of age. There is most of Malta and Gozo that I never visited when there. I intend to enjoy life walking all over the place. Will I make it? Thank you

This is the old "how long is a piece of string question" pusspuss.  A friend of mine has retired to Fgura and lives in a new three bedroomed flat close to all amenities and bars - easy access to Valletta and M'Scala/M'xlokk and pays his landlord €400 a month.  This includes rent, electricity and gas and is fully furnished (it is a realy nice place....I've been in it).  Now I know many here will argue about the 'utilities' part, however, he is not bothered whether his landlord makes or loses on the deal as he knows every month his outgoings. Therefore assuming that he too had €1200 then he would have €800 to spend and as a single fella I would say that you could survive but don't expect to go to too many 'black tie' dinners.

There is an avid rambler on here who can give you loads of details about walking in Malta.

Good Luck

Mike

MikeInPoulton, thanks for your reply and re-assurance. At my age I don't expect much. Living in rural towns like Fgura will assuage my quest for a quite(er) existence. I have been browsing towns and villages on the internet. In fact it has become an obsession to save every picture my eyes feast on. I'd be more than glad to join Ramblers as I have visited their website.

I understand there's no use importing personal electronic possessions as Malta's local current will fry them. So I'd be prepared to purchase at least a PC for internet use and of course stereo gizmos and all that stuff. Thanks again.

Thanks Ricky. Some of my insecurity fears are diminishing thanks to you and other bloggers. You know something strange? When I came to Canada my somewhat quirky fantasy would be to stand in the doorway of a sky scraper. It came true when I served a stint at the Can. Bank of Commerce head office in Toronto working on micro fiche data. Now I yearn for those incredible historic edifices made of Malta stone all over the archipelago radiating brightly in the sun. Is something wrong with me? Cheers from Toronto.

Hi all,

I am a spaniard looking forwad to move shorthly to Malta. At the present I am working in Spain for a English bank but due to the closure of the business down here I am determinated to move to a warm country as Malta.

My job experience is mainly in the banking industry as financial consultant. Anyone knows which bank is more focused on the expatriate/investment sector in order to approach them? I can speak fluently Spanish, English and French.

Thank you

Garbanzo wrote:

Anyone knows which bank is more focused on the expatriate/investment sector in order to approach them?

on the retail side, none of them are really interested in the expat banking market if the difficulty for foreigners in opening an account is anything to go by

Thank you very much for your reply. Probably in forex companies or just investing companies I will get more chance to get a jog that in retail.

Thanks a lot

Hi,
I live in a rented three bedroom in Kalkara with views over the med! and pay €450 a month inclusive of water and electricity, pay for gas separately and an additional €20 for the communal area, which is spotless.
Personally found €1200 easy to live on and I have a nuts social life, you will be fine xx

Chardor wrote:

Hi,
I live in a rented three bedroom in Kalkara with views over the med! and pay €450 a month inclusive of water and electricity, pay for gas separately and an additional €20 for the communal area, which is spotless.
Personally found €1200 easy to live on and I have a nuts social life, you will be fine xx

........and there you go.  Who says you need the riches of royalty to enjoy life.  As they say the best things in life are free. Well done Chardor and good luck on your 'sojourn'.

Mike

MikeInPoulton wrote:
Chardor wrote:

Hi,

........and there you go.  Who says you need the riches of royalty to enjoy life.  As they say the best things in life are free. Well done Chardor and good luck on your 'sojourn'.

Mike

Thanks Mike, luckily didn't have any preconceived notions of what to expect, just go with the flow :D

Hi every one, pls i want to know how much optometrists earn in malta, for both private and public practitioners.
Thanks.

Hi,

that is difficult to answer.

Unless you are an EU citizen you are not allowed to work as self-employed in Malta. Most Optometrists are associated with one or more opticians and are self-employed.

Optometrist is a regulated profession in Malta and you would have to register with the board before being allowed to work as a in-house optometrist in one of the public or private hospitals.

The hospital would have to apply for a work permit for you that would be processed by ETC and considered under job market conditions and other factors.

You can check out one the private hospitals here:

http://www.stjameshospital.com/site1/se … ye-clinic/

and e-mail about job vacancies.

Salary could be somewhere around 15.000-20.000€/year but that is more a guess.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi all,
Love reading all the posts on this forum. I am moving over to Malta in May 2014. My husband and daughter (15) will be coming too. My father who is maltese born is also joining us for a few years. We havent been back to Malta since I was 11years old (just over 30 years ago!) except for a recent holiday this year. Have decided on a lifestyle change for a few years at least.
Was just wondering if I budget of about 2000-2500euro month, would that be enough to live, until we find permanent accommodation and employment.??? Hoping we can land us a job within a few months, although I will apply for some jobs before I leave Australia and closer to our arrival time.
Is there any particular place that would be a good start for somewhere permanent to live, that any of you could recommend ???
We are getting very excited about the move and have purchased our flights already!!!
My husband is in IT at the moment, so hoping he can get a job doing that although he is willing to do anything and has done a few different things in his life.
Thanks in advance for your help

Catherine

Hi just found this post after responding to your other one elsewhere. So, to repeat and add to that, your budget seems fine to start but that is too personal a matter for me to advise on; depends upon your lifestyle not ours :) You may also find that to get a job requires face to face contact but not in all cases and 'Mantonas' may well be the man to advise you there. Be prepared for a lot of differences, there will be many since you were here last 20 odd years ago. Also be prepared for complicated procedures, especially if you are not coming here as 'self sufficient' residents and are non EU State members.
I urge you to be very thorough in your research and choose your location very carefully.
Malta is still wonderful for many but not so for others. A positive attitude coupled with a 'can do' mentality, I would suggest, is essential. Parts of the mainland are not nice, they have been over developed and can be overcrowded, dirty and noisy. Lynn and I have been associated with Malta for many many years, which is why we live on Gozo :) and would not live on the mainland; however we are both retired so that suits us nicely and we only visit the mainland for essential matters.
You will either love it or hate it here.
I wish you the best of luck but again, please research thoroughly. You will find plenty of advice on this blog, just be careful of those who are also using this blog to further their own political agendas, rather than those who are here for the love of the people, the lifestyle and the culture. Best wishes

Thanks redmik

Definitely coming with a positive outlook. I also have maltese passport and my husband has UK passport, so I am assuming that makes things a little easier. My dad who is joining us, speaks the language as its his native tongue, so hoping that will also help us through some of the local  processes. We do have some family in Malta that i have never met but I  will be in contact with them also.
Hoping I pick up the language quickly myself also. I still understand some but hope that being there will bring it all back. Amazing what is stored in the memory bank!!!
Thanks for your advice and we are looking forward to the new adventure. I will keep browsing through these forums as I have found lots of valuable information on here so far.

Catherine

You all seem certainly very well equipped to manage your move so perhaps my comments are unnecessary :) Stay in touch, let us all know how you get on as we can all learn something from each other.

thanks....

lol ....I dont know about being well equipped......I have done nothing for the last few months except google everything I can think of, until my eyes went blurry.....!! These forums have also been very helpful. And I am learning alot on the way... Dont know if its going to be the dream I think it will be, but am coming with a positive outlook and the eagerness to try a different lifestyle. And I am looking forward to the challenge! Just trying to be as prepared as I can be.
Hoping to catch up with a few of you when we arrive......I am going to need a few new friends...lol

Catherine :)

Hi Catherine and welcome to the forum!

I reckon there's not much to add from what redmik already mentioned, you guys seem well prepared and with enough finances for a nice a smooth start. In regards to finding jobs, it's difficult to say if it's going to be easy or hard, but all will depend on your approach and efforts towards your job hunting. I can only give you my wife's example, she started working on a small food place in Mellieha (I wouldn't call it a restaurant lol) on the 2nd week we got here by doing just few hours a day on a small kitchen. Then, she found a job at Seabank Hotel (Mellieha) as a cleaner and she's now working for CareMalta as a Care Assistance for the last 4/5 months. Keep in mind that we only been living in Malta for the last 6 months and she does not speak one word of Maltese :)

In my opinion, the difficulty of find a job depends more from the person who's looking the job than the job on market on itself. Btw, when you get here, if you're interested on working in a home for elderly people, let me know, CareMalta are desperately looking for new staff. I am in a different position as I already had a job prior to get here and my job is based from home.

Anyway, I wish you all the best of luck and come in with a positive attitude, you can always try your best to get things to work and if in case does not work as you wanted (which I doubt it), at least you've tried, that's my philosophy :)

As redmik said, keep us informed when you get here!

Cheerio,
Antonio

Thanks Antonio

Yes will definitely keep in touch and thanks for the positive comments.......
I would be interested in a job @ caremalta if its still available then. We are arriving 10th May..... I also currently work in the Australian Health System/Hospital (for the last 8 years) I mainly do clerical/administration work. But have worked in the Emergency Department, Medical Records Department and now in the Birthing Unit, which I love. Its very hands on and I help the nurses out a lot with the patients.

Will chat to you all in the coming months, as I am sure I will have some more questions :)

Catherine :):)

oh...just one more question.......probably in the wrong section though...

When we 1st made plans to come to Malta my husband was going to come using his Australian passport and travel with me under "freedom of movement" as I have Maltese passport.
But now he is eligible for UK passport. Is it better for him to use the UK one or just stick with the australian one.???  I am just thinking of whichever one would mean less paperwork when we arrive!!! lol

Thanks again and sorry if I posted in the wrong section

Catherine