Funeral etc. Expenses.

Further to previous discussions on several threads I have obtained the following information from one company. I thought it may be useful.

The cost of a basic local funeral with burial in a public plot (assuming an entry level coffin and that the services would commence from a hospital mortuary) would be in the region of  +/- €970 + VAT = €1,140

This would include:

Supply of a dignified average type wooden coffin:-          €480.00
Service of a Mercedes hearse and 4 coffin bearers, from the mortuary direct to the cemetery:- €300.00
Administrative expenses, documentation handling, logistical expenses and sundries:-    €70.00
Professional fees for a basic funeral with burial:-               €120.00

This estimate does not include embalming or preparation of the body, religious services or other extras such as accompanying cars, flowers etc...
Various options of coffins are also available starting from €280 up to €1,400.
Should embalming be required this would cost €140 for full embalming or €60 for partial embalming.

If one had to go for a mid range quality veneer coffin add some flowers with possibly an accompanying car for relatives (€75 each + VAT) and embalming, the cost would be in the region of €1700.  Should the death occur in a private residence or anywhere requiring us to remove the body, additional charges would apply (around €350 depending on place of death and time).

If this estimate is required for planning ahead, I would set aside €2,000 - €3,000 for a dignified local funeral (on the higher end if you need many cars or would like a religious service).  This is assuming that burial would be done in a common public plot.

Purchasing a local grave could be difficult as there is a large waiting list for most cemeteries. You might be able to buy one in Qrendi at a cost of around nine or ten thousand euro.

In regards to cremation, we offer cremation in the United Kingdom and an entire service looking after all arrangements would amount to €5,500.

This would include all the local preparations, transport to the UK, all formalities and documentation, storage at our agents' chapel of rest until cremation date, delivery to the crematorium, the cremation service (without attendance) and supply of an urn for collection by the family. 

We can also arrange for the urn to be sent back to Malta by courier at an extra cost of €350. PS: Should we need to bring the body from Gozo for cremation in the UK additional charges would apply (approx €500).

All the above charges are indicative as at today's rates.  The possibility is that prices will increase over time, however we do offer prepaid funeral plans both for local services or cremation.  With a prepaid plan, all one's wishes would be documented and adhered to at the time of the funeral and all the costs would be fixed as per the prepaid contract.

Blimey ! €500 extra if you live in Gozo seems a bit much.

Terry

The term 'entry level coffin' made me laugh  :D

In Mellieha they put you in vertically and remove you after a couple of years.
You can then reclaim the bones to do with as you wish. ,
I think its to do with lack of space, is this standard practice in Malta /Gozo ?

Terry

tearnet wrote:

In Mellieha they put you in vertically and remove you after a couple of years.
You can then reclaim the bones to do with as you wish. ,
I think its to do with lack of space, is this standard practice in Malta /Gozo ?

Terry

i dont know much about the afterlife but pretty sure i will be unable to claim my own bones once im dead .. lol

Yes I believe this is common practice Tearnet and helps to get into a local cemetery. I believe, once the bones are up, they can be stored in the wall with a plaque.....Doesn't matter how I write that it still seems to sound so very wrong!!!

coxf0001 wrote:

Yes I believe this is common practice Tearnet and helps to get into a local cemetery. I believe, once the bones are up, they can be stored in the wall with a plaque.....Doesn't matter how I write that it still seems to sound so very wrong!!!

I wonder what happens if no one wants (or collects) the bones?   :/

Terry

They are allocated to a "boneafied" person.

eddiepie wrote:

They are allocated to a "boneafied" person.

:top:

Or a 'bone he hidee' person?