Car insurance

Hi - contemplating a move to Malta and am trying to get a handle on costs of living. Can anyone give me an indication please of annual car insurance premiums for 2 experienced drivers with clean driving history?
Thanks
Lynsay

I was pleasantly surprised .. we just switched over from UK to a Maltese policy, and it works out a bit cheaper, and includes breakdown recovery.

For 2 adults, fully comprehensive, and 4 years NCD, we're paying €360.

I've yet to convert the car over to Maltese plates, so not sure how much we'll end up paying in road tax just yet ... should find out in a few weeks.

it depends a lot on what car you have obviously - mine with a 8 year clean and protected no claims etc is almost 800 (including the licence, insurance co's do that here).  My partner new driver 1400

The value of the car will be a big determining factor, as will whether you are seeking comprehensive policy, or just third-party (which seems fairly popular here!).
We're insured with Mapfre Middlesea on a 2014 Smart Car and the premium is €400 per year. This is based on an insurance valuation of €9000 for the car, two drivers (both over 30) with 9 years NCB, insured fully comp.
There may well be cheaper options out there, but there doesn't appear to be a price comparison tool out here and I was fairly lazy when shopping around!

Just received my renewal notice this week:
Clean driving history, third party only, any driver over 25 for a 1300cc Petrol car (old road tax scheme):
annual premium: 113 Euro (incl tax and stamp duty)
annual road license: 106 Euro
------------------------------------------
total 219 Euro per year (insurance coverage all over Europe)

Thank you all...I'm loving the sound of these prices. Over here in Canada we are paying approx 190 euro per month!!!

martindevek wrote:

Hi there, can I ask you with what company are you insured?

I can't find a company that will insure my car with UK plates

Not a surprise that they wont insure people who dont have residence permits.  And if you have a residence permit you are not allowed to drive a foreign plate car.

Its illegal to use a foreign registered car here in Malta after two weeks. You are required to register it here and obtain lical plates. You will then be able to insure it.

martindevek wrote:

Hi there, can I ask you with what company are you insured?

I can't find a company that will insure my car with UK plates

It may be helpful if you read all previous posts about bringing a car into the country and the
cost involved once here.

martindevek wrote:

I arrived yesterday and I need to drive my car while I do transfer the plates to Malta - my UK insurance confirm that once I moved to Malta - yesterday - it will no longer insure my vehicle

If you cannot insure your car why not hire one in the meantime?

martindevek wrote:

I arrived yesterday and I need to drive my car while I do transfer the plates to Malta - my UK insurance confirm that once I moved to Malta - yesterday - it will no longer insure my vehicle

Atlas tend to be helpful with this kind of thing so explain to them and see - but ime its best to set your car up for UK insurance that has a EU extension for 60 days and then use that to sort all out here. Which now that you've told them you upped and left is probably not an option anymore.

duplicate removed

Do i need to bring any documents from my home country (Canada in my case) to help reduce the insurance in Malta for example driving record or something like or they don't need it
Thanks

Official proof of no claims bonus from your past insurance.

Also be sure to get a EU drivers license as noone will give you insurance without one.  Also bear in mind that in may not be possible to get comprehensive  cover on a non uk, Japanese or maltese registered car.  We were promised full cover for our German built car before we imported it, but when we actually got it here none would actually give us anything more than third party.  Another thing to bear in mind if you are bringing in a left hand drive vehicle is that you won't get cover for trips to europe for more than a couple of weeks at a time.   We did bring a car in from the usa but I wouldn't do it again.  Cars from the uk are no problem though.

For Noah.  Get a letter from your Canadian insurer to show claims history for the past 5 years.

When you get here, rent cars and drive them on your Canadian license for the first year, then once you've been here 6 months apply and take the driving test here in malta.  It's not easy to pass so will likely take a few attempts.  Once you get a maltese license you can buy a car here and you will be able to get insurance from a maltese company.  That's what we were able to do.  You will not get maltese insurance with a Canadian license and you can only exchange, EU, swiss or Austrailian licenses.

You also need your residence card before you can purchase a car here.

martindevek wrote:

I just insured my UK car in Malta with Altas insurance.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of misinformation in this thread. I find it both unhelpful and confusing.

With that attitude you will be lucky to get any help.

Sorry you feel that way Martin.  The original poster indicated they are coming from Canada.  Their situation is a bit different than yours.

Tim

Thanks Tim much appreciated for the information it is good to know

@matm911 what kind of car do you have?

@matm911 what kind of car do you have?
-@Gds80

You may not get a reply as he has not participated on here for four years.