Is 1000 Euros enough for a single to live? How about a job?

A couple of questions

1) Say you rented a 1 bedroom flat in Malta for ? 350 euros/month, what is the minimum you could survive on. Would 1000 euros a month do for a single person, living a modest life style.

2) What would be the probability of getting a job out there, given I am 63? An electronics/systems engineer, M.Sc C.Eng qualified. Designer, analyst, or I do private tutoring A Level upwards.

Thanks

I see from your other post the timescale is 2 years.
A site you could take a look at is:-

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co … ntry=Malta

It will give some idea and claims to be up to date.
We are moving next year, on State pension and people will tell me that it's not possible but we'll see.
Ray,  also ex electrical etc.

RayAucote wrote:

I see from your other post the timescale is 2 years.
A site you could take a look at is:-

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co … ntry=Malta

It will give some idea and claims to be up to date.
We are moving next year, on State pension and people will tell me that it's not possible but we'll see.
Ray,  also ex electrical etc.

We manage on our state pensions plus three small private ones, it's easier to manage in Gozo than Malta, even with the pound dropping so much against the euro.

philthebrit wrote:

A couple of questions

1) Say you rented a 1 bedroom flat in Malta for ? 350 euros/month, what is the minimum you could survive on. Would 1000 euros a month do for a single person, living a modest life style.

2) What would be the probability of getting a job out there, given I am 63? An electronics/systems engineer, M.Sc C.Eng qualified. Designer, analyst, or I do private tutoring A Level upwards.

Thanks

I'd say 1000 euros a month for 1 can be enough (always depending on what you need/want, of course), but 350 for a flat is quite optimistic, if not to say wishful thinking...

Private tutoring for expats might work, but the Maltese - in my experience - tend to stick to Maltese tutors. And I wouldn't expect to be paid too well for tutoring.

Bernie

I'm here living on a basic state pension. Quiet but OK and much preferable to the UK.

Thanks for all your replies.

The 350 Euro I quoted for a flat was from looking at Frank salt website. He seems to have lots of furnished flats advertised for 350/month some even at 300.?

Is this not correct?

If I move there soon, I will have to spend some of my capital for the first two years until my state pension kicks in. So these calculations are crucial as my capital is limited.

philthebrit wrote:

The 350 Euro I quoted for a flat was from looking at Frank salt website. He seems to have lots of furnished flats advertised for 350/month some even at 300.?

Is this not correct?

If I move there soon, I will have to spend some of my capital for the first two years until my state pension kicks in. So these calculations are crucial as my capital is limited.

As mentioned many many times before you cannot go by the agents advertised properties as majority are out of date and not available.

GozoMo wrote:
philthebrit wrote:

Is this not correct?

As mentioned many many times before you cannot go by the agents advertised properties as majority are out of date and not available.

Thanks GozoMo, Ok so how much would you have to pay for a 1 bedroom flat, furnished, out of town ?

Vagrant wrote:

I'm here living on a basic state pension. Quiet but OK and much preferable to the UK.

Thanks for your reply. The UK state pension for a single chap is 150 per week or £600 per month. Which is far less than 1000 euros per month.

Do you rent? If so how much per month

philthebrit wrote:

Thanks GozoMo, Ok so how much would you have to pay for a 1 bedroom flat, furnished, out of town ?

You need to search and see - try FB groups, Times of Malta online classifieds section - for ideas. A lot depends on the area, how modern or not & etc.
Studio may be cheaper.
1 bed apt now I would say from €500 & upwards. You may be lucky to find something cheaper, but you need to look for it patiently

Family of ours just rented a 1 bed with bills and internet included for 600, was in Gzira though and quite noisy due to students, if you're looking to retire try Gozo or the South I guess, should be less crazy there - but also less going on

Rental in Gozo is cheaper than Malta but has risen since we came here and you are more likely to get an apartment here, and in my opinion a nicer place to retire to.

Gozo is the cheapest option, lookup Gozone group on FB and the property site for Gozo for more up to date properties. Forget agents until you are there, infact, forget most things until you are on the Islands.
Ray

I have never had problems getting replies from frank salt, dhalia, gozo prime, look gozo, etc... prior to visiting. This is specifically for Gozo - Malta might be different.

Ray: what "property site for Gozo" do you have in mind?

The site I keep an eye on is the FB page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4622547 … =bookmarks

which is basically properties on Gozo.

Ray

RayAucote wrote:

The site I keep an eye on is the FB page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4622547 … =bookmarks

which is basically properties on Gozo.

Ray

Link doesn't work for me. Could you post the name of the page?

Hmm, strange, just clicked and straight there, however,   Facebay Gozo Properties To Let.
Ray

RayAucote wrote:

Hmm, strange, just clicked and straight there, however,   Facebay Gozo Properties To Let.
Ray

Thanks! I think it only works for you when you're logged in to your fb account.

Edit: I get page unavailable. Apparently they have country restrictions enabled on that page and it's unavailable outside of Malta?

I'm currently in UK and it works here. It does say it's a public group but I know nothing about FB and how it operates.  :unsure

Ray

philthebrit wrote:

A couple of questions

1) Say you rented a 1 bedroom flat in  for ? 350 euros/month, what is the minimum you could survive on. Would 1000 euros a month do for a single person, living a modest life style.

Thanks

Re: Question 1) - Reply: Problematic.

Re: Question 2) - Reply: The probably of finding a job and earning an income COMMENSURATE with your skills, qualifications and experience is close to ZERO.

Finding a job will be easier if you omit your formal qualifications from any job applications.

Hi thanks for the information. Looks like Gozo is the place with flats available for 400 Euro. The link to the facebook page worked for me and I have joined the group thanks.

Moderated by kenjee 7 years ago
Reason : No free ads + please post your housing offer in the housing section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello thanks for the message.

Take a look at my web site for experience (lhs of home page for links)

pcrobinson.co.uk