Retention of Danish Citizenship with Under 22 Rule

Hi,

My name is Samantha (21) I was born in Australia to a Danish mother and an Australian father.
They were not married so technically I was Danish when born. However, by mistake my mother applied for Australian Citizenship not knowing she would lose her Danish citizenship (crazy I know) therefore I would have lost it at the same time. Since the allowance of dual citizenship she has applied and is waiting to hear (shouldn't be a problem).

I just wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with retention of Danish citizenship? If your parents had lapsed? If it is difficult? I can document many times that I have visited (10+) and all my family and friends there, but my Danish is not great, will this disqualify me?

Thank you for any insight you can provide or any suggestions of where to look.

Samantha

Hi there .

I was just wondering how you got on with this. My mother is Danish and father British and we all live in the UK. I'm 34 now and was not aware of the 22 year old rule. I was wondering if there are any exceptions as I would like dual nationality as I have lots of family living in Denmark.

Peter

I cannot see it will be feasable, but do ask the Danish embassies in your home countries to be quite sure.

/Nellie

@Higgo84 , 4 years later I know. I am in a similar position. I'm 56, about to put my application in for retention of citizenship.

I already sent an application to regain my citizenship, since I always had a british passport, I thought I had lost Danish citizenship. But the response was that since I had both from birth (Danish mother, but born in UK) they could see no reason why I would have lost citizenship. So If I can give enough evidence of connection to Denmark before the age of 22 I hope to be successful. (holidays every summer, plus keeping up with traditions etc.)